Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Complete Series 1-8 Collection Exclusive Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$350.78
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 02-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #1

Jan 2013
New Mexico
Default An Interesting Thought-and Desire

HI All,
Right now I have about 1000 DVD's and something like 20 3d Blue Rays.

I'm a movie collector and most of my DVD's are classics from 1930 through current. There are are many great movies in this collection. I'm enjoying my new BD 3d's so this leads to my question:

Do you think that the older great movies will ever be converted to 3d? Movies such as Bridge Over the River Kwai certainly deserve conversion. And there are many others, too many to list.

Right now I'm viewing them in simulated 3d on my Panasonic TC-P55VT50 which actually can be pretty effective but not as good as a quality 3d conversion. It makes my mouth water to imagine them with a good 3d conversion.

Do you think they will ever be converted?

Sparky
Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

No. (imo)

2 reasons why: Time and effort, and profitability.

I think we will see more back catalog titles as conversion techniques become faster and require less manpower, but even the best auto-conversion algorithms have tons of errors, and even a mediocre-accurate conversion will require time and energy from a team of artists to correct and make the GP feel like they weren't being "had" by Hollywood once again.

Irobot - took 3 people 3 months to convert. Now looking at the logistics behind that, it's pretty amazing they did what they did. However read the buzz on that flick around here, I didn't mind it, but boy a lot of people felt they were had on that conversion, that it was flat, a rip off, etc. Studios will not look at a classic movie as "boy, I'd like to have that in my collection, let's do it" - they are going to look at revenue. I always say that I think Reservoir Dogs would be awesome in 3D, for more reasons than one. But would that be very successful? Probably not, dialog based, mostly takes place in a single location, cult classic, no crazy CGI effects, etc.

I think as technology develops, like JVC's technique used for Irobot, and a good solid method for a quick conversion that produces good results spreads across the studios, we will see a lot more come out, as we're seeing right now from Lionsgate. If 3 people could convert a movie in 3 months, and it was overall dubbed a success - a team of 90 people could convert 30 movies in 3 months looking at the big picture, so I'd like to think and do hold out for a slough of 3d movies in our future but I think it's naive to think we'll get them all.

But even then, $$ will outweigh anything - after all it's a business.
Want to manually convert 2d to 3d yourself and accurately - not with an automated software? Check out my topic and tutorial here.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2012
Wisconsin

I think its hard to say right now. It will really come down to 3DTV sales in the upcoming years. And if 3D becomes a standard feature on TV's, it will come down to how many people are using the 3D feature on their TV's. It will also, I believe, come down to the age demographic that is watching 3D.

I have always believed that 3D will really take off when glasses-free 3D TV sets are perfected. Wearing glasses seems to be the number 1 problem that people have with 3D. If these are perfected and the sales take off then there will be a demand for new 3D content. If you have the demand across all age demographics then I can definitely see a lot of old classics getting converted. But if 3D stays a feature that only a small percentage of people use occasionally, then you won't see that many more conversions because there will be no profit in it.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Special Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Swordfish View Post
...if 3D stays a feature that only a small percentage of people use occasionally, then you won't see that many more conversions because there will be no profit in it.
If recent developments are any sign, the "postponing" of Little Mermaid, Independence Day and the Star Wars conversions, I would say we're already there.

If Disney is still going through the process of finishing The Little Mermaid conversion for it's pending BD release, it's probably a test to see if they justify going through the process for home video releases.

As with Avatar, The Lion King and Titanic's successes were an aberration. The Lion King is one of the move beloved animated films ever released, and people still want to see it. Titanic is also beloved (why I don't know), but most of it's re-release success came from one territory, China. ($145 of $285 million...)

fitprod

Last edited by fitprod; 02-22-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma16 View Post
Do you think that the older great movies will ever be converted to 3d? Movies such as Bridge Over the River Kwai certainly deserve conversion. And there are many others, too many to list.
Do not touch Mr Lean!!! Blasphemy!! this has all started because they converted the Lawrence scene for Prometheus
Old 02-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickUK View Post
Do not touch Mr Lean!!! Blasphemy!! this has all started because they converted the Lawrence scene for Prometheus
Have to acknowledge that they did a great job converting that scene to 3D.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies