COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

Feb 2010
Default Lost In Translation Blu-ray Canadian vs. US. Release "Really Disappointed"

I recently bought Lost in Translation on Blu-Ray from Alliance in Canada. Now I noticed that in the U.S. it was released under Universal. Is there any difference to the transfer used in the Alliance(CANADA) release compared to the Universal(U.S.A) release?

As much as I enjoy the movie itself, I felt the blu-ray transfer was very poor and I am not talking about how the movie was filmed, but the dirt and specs or hair and random crap that was on the film print they used for the Blu-Ray. This movie is only from 2003, so why is the film so dirty and damaged. I am really disappointed with this blu-ray release.

I read the official review on this site and did not even understand how the reviewer could possible think that the quality of the transfer was excellent. This is partially why I am thinking either Universal used a different print or digital master than Alliance, or the reviewer doesn't mind the dirt, dust and crap. Again, I am not talking about the graininess of the film or the way the shots were captured, lighting, or even digital noise reduction. I am talking about the dirt specs and hair in one part seen throughout the film. I've have seen better quality prints from zombie movies from the late 1970's, so why is the film print that was used in such crappy condition? Honestly my DVD copy of Zombi 2 looks like the better digital transfer than LIT blu-ray.

People rag on Young Guns on Blu-ray for the half-assed transfer, but the Young Guns Blu-Ray looks like 24 carrat gold compared to the Alliance Release of "Lost in Translation."

So does the Universal blu-ray release of Lost In Translation use the same print as the Alliance blu-ray release?

Secondly, don't you find it annoying when companies do Blu-ray release but they use worn out crap film, instead of either making a new master from the negative or at least cleaning up the film in the vault?

If this was filmed digitally, then why the dirt, dust and hair specs throughout the film?

If the dust dirt and grime only appear on the Alliance release, I will never buy their garbage again. I will just buy from the U.S..

I look forward to your answers and comments.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #2

Jun 2010
Lancaster, PA

I haven't checked out this title on blu-ray yet, but Alliance is often several steps behind the US releases in terms of picture quality and extras. Alliance is ok if there is no US release--but otherwise avoid.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Power Member

Oct 2007
Ontario, Canada

Alliance normally use the same transfers as the US counterpart when one is available. The only times that Alliance use their own transfers (AFAIK, normally HD broadcast masters) is when they release a title that isn't available elsewhere. I only purchased the US version, so I can't comment specifically on the Alliance version, but I would be surprised if the transfers are different. The biggest hint is that the cover art is identical.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Power Member

Jul 2009
Canada eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theory View Post
I haven't checked out this title on blu-ray yet, but Alliance is often several steps behind the US releases in terms of picture quality and extras. Alliance is ok if there is no US release--but otherwise avoid.
I think it's the opposite. Usually when there's an Alliance release coinciding with an American release they have the same transfers. If alliance has a release long before the US (e.g. Se7en, Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind), it tends to be pretty shoddy.

In rare instances though, the US release may be nearly exactly the same as the previously released Alliance version (e.g. The Illusionist was released by Alliance a while back. Fox released The Illusionist in the US with a transfer nearly same to that of the Alliance release and like the Alliance release, lacking extras/subtitles).

Rhyilliam seems to be our resident expert on Canadian/Alliance releases. Maybe he can comment on this.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #5

Sep 2007
Vacaville, Ca

I have a few titles from Alliance and they all have the exact same transfer as the U.S. . They were all U.S. releases as well though. I just ordered on Amazon Ella Enchanted for my kids and we will see how the transfer is. Ella Enchanted is only Alliance. I want Running Scared through Alliance but I hear it's only 1080i. I thought Alliance does have titles that they have just taken the the TV transfer which is 1080i.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #6

Sep 2008
Vancouver, Canada

Same encode, different trailers, removed BD-Live.

BDInfo scan: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2465
Old 01-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #7

Dec 2009

As a general rule of thumb, it's wise to be weary of Alliance releases.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
Power Member

Jul 2009
Canada eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
Same encode, different trailers, removed BD-Live.

BDInfo scan: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2465
Thanks for the info. I usually have no interest in BD-live but knowing that the Alliance release doesn't have it, I'd feel jipped if I purchased it.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #9

Feb 2010
Default Thanks

I am content to a certain extent that the U.S. release uses the same print as the Canadian release. But I do feel whomever did the Blu-ray transfer simply used a less than pristine copy which is really a shame.

In Canada, usually when the Blu-Ray titles are dirt cheap(under $10 on sale), they are usually the Alliance releases. At least they didn't change the film screen format like they have on some other titles.

People seem to rave about Criterion and their blu-ray titles. I have been very happy with the Disney releases as well. It is too bad all companies could not take pride in their releases.

I personally could care less about BD-Live as there will be a time when this is not supported and it seems very temporary. Why not use a dual layer Blu-Ray and include everything you want to, instead of having to go online to watch something that is here today and gone tomorrow.

Sure I'll keep my copy as I like enjoy the movie, but hopefully sometime in the future a nice release by another company occurs, instead of The Old Film in a Dirt Basement Version Universal and Alliance have vomited upon us.

Again, I don't know how this blu-ray is rated so highly, considering the newness of the movie and the dust, grime, hair, crap, dirt that speckle themselves throughout this film. The film itself is in my opinion a great movie, but the blu-ray release might as well been done by some underground bootleggers out of Hong Kong using stolen film from a now closed down movie theater.

Last edited by Atari Charles; 01-22-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
Expert Member

Jan 2010
Milky Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hep View Post
Alliance normally use the same transfers as the US counterpart when one is available. The only times that Alliance use their own transfers (AFAIK, normally HD broadcast masters) is when they release a title that isn't available elsewhere. I only purchased the US version, so I can't comment specifically on the Alliance version, but I would be surprised if the transfers are different. The biggest hint is that the cover art is identical.
Cover Art for "Frequency" is identical, but the Alliance version is very sub par compared to the US version. Seems like it's hit and miss with Alliance. I have "A Perfect Getaway" from Alliance which looks the same as the US version so you just never know with them. I gambled today and ordered "Prey" from Alliance because it was on sale for $5.95 so will be interesting how it looks when I get it.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->118 UV-------->247

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie View Post
Cover Art for "Frequency" is identical, but the Alliance version is very sub par compared to the US version. Seems like it's hit and miss with Alliance. I have "A Perfect Getaway" from Alliance which looks the same as the US version so you just never know with them. I gambled today and ordered "Prey" from Alliance because it was on sale for $5.95 so will be interesting how it looks when I get it.
You just replied to a nearly 2 year old thread.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
Banned

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
You just replied to a nearly 2 year old thread.
Plus, he's discussing a completely different movie!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America