Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.60

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

The Villainess (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
$34.99
4 hrs ago
The Death of Superman (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$56.71

DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$30.37

Dragon Ball Super: Part 4 (Blu-ray)
$22.69
3 hrs ago
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$10.99

Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
7 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 06-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

LOTR was a total farce. They said the first year that it wouldn't win until the third one. But this makes no sense. If 1 and 2 were better than anything else those years, they deserved to win. What if something better than Return had come out on the third year, too?

More sci-fi. Oscars wins are never great movies. Great movies are Star Wars and The Terminator. And yeah, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, a lot of classics have been overlooked.

And Tron: Legacy for sound. It was incredible. I don't even think it was nominated...
Old 06-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #22
Banned

Nov 2011
Canada

Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, or any thing besides Forrest Gump, that movie should have won every Razzie award, no Academy Awards

However I may well be the in the minority in thinking its good that Annie Hall beat Star Wars.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Westside, ATL, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Bond View Post
Wrong Oscar

Al Pacino for The Godfather instead of Scent Of A Woman

Morgan Freeman for Shawshank Redemption instead of Million Dollar Baby

Denzel Washington for The Hurricane instead of Training Day

Kate Winslet for Revolutionary Road instead of The Reader

Actors Robbed

Julianne Moore for The Hours

Frank Langella for Frost / Nixon

Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler

Rooney Mara for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Best Picture Robbed

Fargo

L.A. Confidential

Saving Private Ryan

The Aviator

Letters From Iwo Jima

The Social Network

Honorable mention: Christopher Nolan for Inception
Ok, wow!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydChristmas View Post
Best Picture
Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction > Forrest Gump
L.A. Confidential > Titanic
Hugo > The Artist
Inception, The Social Network, Toy Story 3 > King's Speech
Gangs of New York > Chicago
Saving Private Ryan > Shakespeare in Love
Raiders of the Lost Ark > Chariots of Fire
Star Wars > Annie Hall

You're welcome.
No way! Blasphemy! Annie Hall is the best movie ever! it's my personal favorite anyway lol
Old 06-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #25
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2010
Illinois

yes Star Wars was the best picture...about 1,000,000% better than Annie Hall.

anyway, the OP's question was ACTING performances, so all these Best Pics being suggested are pointless.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2010
USA

Tom Cruise for Born on the Fourth of July. From the Rock of Ages reviews, it sounds like he could've been up for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar if the movie weren't so average. I guess he can still get a Golden Globe for best musical or comedy.

L.A. Confidential over Titanic.

Fellowship of the Ring over A Beautiful Mind or Two Towers over Chicago. Then instead of giving the Oscar to Return of the King, Mystic River or Master and Commander could've gotten it.

Last edited by Samus Aran; 06-23-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #27
Special Member

Oct 2009

Peter O'Toole for everything (especially LoA)
Top 10 Favorite Movies: 1. The General 2. City Lights 3. The Third Man 4. The Night of the Hunter 5. Vertigo 6. A Hard Day's Night 7. Chinatown 8. Brazil 9. Before Sunrise 10. The Royal Tenenbaums

I hear the world in mono, view it in VistaVision, and see it in both Technicolor and Black & White.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Michael Shannon - Take Shelter
Couldn't agree more. Speaking of films from last year, I think Brad Pitt should have been nominated for The Tree Of Life rather than Moneyball. But what can ya do?
MAIN (THEATER ROOM): TCL 55S401 4K TV
SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
SEIKI SR4KP1 REGION FREE
YAMAHA YHT-5920UBL 5.1
SONY PS3 80GB, TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD
AUXILIARY (BEDROOM): ELEMENT EL4KAMZ5517T 4K TV
LG-UP875, SAMSUNG BDJM57C
SONY STR-K660P 5.1
Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
The Shire
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
Tom Cruise for Born on the Fourth of July. From the reviews, it sounds like he could've been up for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar if the movie weren't so average. I guess he can still get a Golden Globe for best musical or comedy.

L.A. Confidential over Titanic.

Fellowship of the Ring over A Beautiful Mind or Two Towers over Chicago. Then instead of giving the Oscar to Return of the King, Mystic River or Master and Commander could've gotten it.
I thought Tom Cruise should have won Best Supporting actor in Rain Man as well...
Planet of the Apes Collection #1 4/20/10, Outlaw Josey Wales #100 2/1/11, Raging Bull #300 1/10/12, Kagemusha #500 7/21/12, The Game #600 10/31/12, Dawn of the Dead #700 1/20/13, Boardwalk Empire S1 #900 8/22/13, Lethal Weapon Collection #1000 12/3/13, Sherlock S3 #1100 4/29/14, Boardwalk Empire S4 #1200 8/20/14, Fury #1300 1/28/2015, Shanghai Story #1400 9/26/15, Vincent Price Collection V3 #1500 3/4/2016, Star Trek TNG Complete Collection #1600 6/12/16
My Criterion Collection
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
The Shire
USA

Also, how does Russell Crowe lose best actor in A Beautiful Mind to Denzel, when a Beautiful Mind won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actress, etc...
Planet of the Apes Collection #1 4/20/10, Outlaw Josey Wales #100 2/1/11, Raging Bull #300 1/10/12, Kagemusha #500 7/21/12, The Game #600 10/31/12, Dawn of the Dead #700 1/20/13, Boardwalk Empire S1 #900 8/22/13, Lethal Weapon Collection #1000 12/3/13, Sherlock S3 #1100 4/29/14, Boardwalk Empire S4 #1200 8/20/14, Fury #1300 1/28/2015, Shanghai Story #1400 9/26/15, Vincent Price Collection V3 #1500 3/4/2016, Star Trek TNG Complete Collection #1600 6/12/16
My Criterion Collection
Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #31
Power Member

Apr 2011
Katy, TX

As I recall, Ransom (1996) didn't get one nomination. Should have been:

Best Actor - Mel Gibson
Best Actress - Rene Russo
Best Supporting Actor - Delroy Lindo

The raw emotions they showed on the screen were just amazing.

The only thing that movie won was the "Top Box Office Film" at the 1997 ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards. For shame!

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransom_...nd_nominations
Old 06-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Netherlands

I always feel that Tron Legacy got robbed for both sound and visual effects, especially the latter.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion Soldier View Post
I always feel that Tron Legacy got robbed for both sound and visual effects, especially the latter.
I always found it strange how Tron Lagacy wasn't at least nominated for best soundtrack.

Also, that Mary & Max wasn't nominated for best animated feature is nothing short of criminal!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
Banned

Nov 2011
Canada

Oh, this is only for acting. My mistake.

I'll start in the 1960s, since from then on is where most of my film knowledge lies:

Peter Sellers for Dr. Strangelove

Warren Beatty for Bonnie and Clyde, but Steiger is good too, either is fine

Malcom McDowell - should have won for if.... , should have been nominated for A Clockwork Orange

Dustin Hoffman - at least a nomination for Straw Dogs, yeah he won for other stuff, but this is is best role I think

Pacino - any or all of his nominations in the 70s

No acting nominations for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

De Niro for the Deer Hunter

Anthony Hopkins should have got a nomination for the Elephant Man

Harvery Keitel should have at least secured a nomination for Bad Lietenant. I know it went to a somewhat deserving Pacino, but as I said above, he should already have had three or four Oscars by that point, and thus not needed this one.

Anyone but Tom Hanks for either of his wins

Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon, or just don't have any award ceremony at all that year, because it was an awful year for film

Nicolas Cage should have at least got a nomination for Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. And really, given the competion, should have won. I mean, as a huge Cage fan, I wish he had four or five Oscars, but this performance was awesome. Then again, if he had four or five Oscars, he would not be a true Nic Cage, he would be Nic Cage trying to be an oscarbaiter rather than a nouveau shamanic cool guy, so maybe its for the best he only has the one.

Colin Firth winning is so utterly predictable that its hilarious. It was a fine film, I guess, but I would choose Eisenberg out of the listed performances, and also prefer Bridges to Firth.

I'm glad George Clooney was blocked again this year, much to my pleasant surprise (the movie should have been called, "Hey, look! George Clooney is acting!!... why don't you give him some "awards"), and Dujardin did just fine, so that was good, but Pitt or especially Oldman would have been a better choice. Of course, neither of these were the best performance of the year, clearly Michael Fassbender should have won for Shame.

I wish Jonah Hill won Best Supporting for Moneyball. Not only was it actually deserving, given the compettion, but how hilarious would it be for films like the Sitter and the Watch to be advertised as featuring "Academy Award Winner Jonah Hill"?

When you think about it, a nomination in the 1970s is almost better than a win nowadays, essentially any role that garnered a nomination back then (or even was forgotten altogether, like Newman or Shaw in The Sting), would have easily beaten any winner from nowadays.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

1. Joaquin Phoenix should have won best supporting actor in Gladiator.

2. Bruce Springstine's song "The Wrestler" was not even nominated for best song and that was a crime!!

3.) Revenge of the Sith not even nominated for best visual effects.

4.) Pulp Fiction was the best movie the year Forest Gump won.
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."
Old 06-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #36
Blu-ray Duke

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Enns View Post
Oh, this is only for acting. My mistake.

I'll start in the 1960s, since from then on is where most of my film knowledge lies:

Peter Sellers for Dr. Strangelove

Warren Beatty for Bonnie and Clyde, but Steiger is good too, either is fine

Malcom McDowell - should have won for if.... , should have been nominated for A Clockwork Orange

Dustin Hoffman - at least a nomination for Straw Dogs, yeah he won for other stuff, but this is is best role I think

Pacino - any or all of his nominations in the 70s

No acting nominations for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

De Niro for the Deer Hunter

Anthony Hopkins should have got a nomination for the Elephant Man

Harvery Keitel should have at least secured a nomination for Bad Lietenant. I know it went to a somewhat deserving Pacino, but as I said above, he should already have had three or four Oscars by that point, and thus not needed this one.

Anyone but Tom Hanks for either of his wins

Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon, or just don't have any award ceremony at all that year, because it was an awful year for film

Nicolas Cage should have at least got a nomination for Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. And really, given the competion, should have won. I mean, as a huge Cage fan, I wish he had four or five Oscars, but this performance was awesome. Then again, if he had four or five Oscars, he would not be a true Nic Cage, he would be Nic Cage trying to be an oscarbaiter rather than a nouveau shamanic cool guy, so maybe its for the best he only has the one.

Colin Firth winning is so utterly predictable that its hilarious. It was a fine film, I guess, but I would choose Eisenberg out of the listed performances, and also prefer Bridges to Firth.

I'm glad George Clooney was blocked again this year, much to my pleasant surprise (the movie should have been called, "Hey, look! George Clooney is acting!!... why don't you give him some "awards"), and Dujardin did just fine, so that was good, but Pitt or especially Oldman would have been a better choice. Of course, neither of these were the best performance of the year, clearly Michael Fassbender should have won for Shame.

I wish Jonah Hill won Best Supporting for Moneyball. Not only was it actually deserving, given the compettion, but how hilarious would it be for films like the Sitter and the Watch to be advertised as featuring "Academy Award Winner Jonah Hill"?

When you think about it, a nomination in the 1970s is almost better than a win nowadays, essentially any role that garnered a nomination back then (or even was forgotten altogether, like Newman or Shaw in The Sting), would have easily beaten any winner from nowadays.
Kind of like Sandra Bullock for Blonde Side and All About Steve.

Worst Film nominated for best picture: The exteremly mawkish and incredibly exploitative Extemely Loud & Incredibly Close (although it should have been nominated for cinematography)
Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #37

Apr 2012

Rafe Finnes-Schiendler's List
Cate Blanchett-Elizabeth
Leonardo DiCaprio-The Aviator
How Shakespeare in Love beat out Elizabeth,Life is Beautiful and Saving Private Ryan is one I will never understand.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #38

Jun 2011
Bangkok, Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mport5150 View Post
I thought Tom Cruise should have won Best Supporting actor in Rain Man as well...
I think his performance was better than Dustin Hoffman's, but it really is a leading role.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #39

Jun 2011
Bangkok, Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPB143 View Post
As I recall, Ransom (1996) didn't get one nomination. Should have been:

Best Actor - Mel Gibson
Best Actress - Rene Russo
Best Supporting Actor - Delroy Lindo

The raw emotions they showed on the screen were just amazing.

The only thing that movie won was the "Top Box Office Film" at the 1997 ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards. For shame!

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransom_...nd_nominations
It was a pity that this re-make was sorta lame compared the the original in 1956. Glenn Ford's performance in the same role was a lot better than Mel Gibson's
Old 06-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #40
Blu-ray Duke

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiala View Post
Rafe Finnes-Schiendler's List
Cate Blanchett-Elizabeth
Leonardo DiCaprio-The Aviator
How Shakespeare in Love beat out Elizabeth,Life is Beautiful and Saving Private Ryan is one I will never understand.
Easily besting those. Although much like Social Network/Kings Speech the more time passes it's obvious Private have won.

Part of the reason may have been that much of the academy deprived themselves the Experience of Saving Private Ryan opting for the screeners instead of seeing it on the big screen.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies