Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Driver: San Francisco (PS3)
$23.96
13 hrs ago
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS3)
$17.83
11 hrs ago
Sonic Generations (PS3)
$12.51

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
$12.01

Disney Infinity 3.0 - Star Wars (PS3)
$10.68

NCAA Football 09 (PS3)
$12.43

Persona 5 (PS3)
$28.57

Drakengard 3 (PS3)
$18.50

Madden NFL 13 (PS3)
$3.38

Madden NFL 11 (PS3)
$5.62

Saints Row: The Third (PS3)
$6.65

Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (PS3)
$49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #281
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
If it can't be upgraded. Than I'll stick with my slim. That I already upgraded to a 500gb hdd long ago.
Yes, you can still upgrade the HDD.

Prying open the top end of the casing reveals the hard drive bay, where we find a standard 5400rpm Hitachi hard drive - a Z5K500 HTS545050A7E380 model. It's a single platter 7mm drive but the bracket is large enough to support the more common 9.5mm units too.

My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.

Last edited by Mavrick; 09-21-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #282
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
I would expect a PS4 to sell at $599 but good luck trying to get them to move it's not that huge jump like it was between a Ps2 to Ps3.

All it would be doing is adding features desktop users have had for awhile now.
Not happening. I'd be shocked to see a $499 model, unless Sony also has a "lite"-r version at $399.
I'm sure that Sony has learned their lesson (in both timeliness and pricing) since 2006, but if they haven't ... god help them

Also, this time around, the BR drive won't be nearly as much of a cost hog as it used to be, same for the CPU.

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #283
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Not happening. I'd be shocked to see a $499 model, unless Sony also has a "lite"-r version at $399.
I'm sure that Sony has learned their lesson (in both timeliness and pricing) since 2006, but if they haven't ... god help them

Also, this time around, the BR drive won't be nearly as much of a cost hog as it used to be, same for the CPU.
Yeah the 2 most costly componants for the PS3 are no longer an issue.

I can't see this being anywhere above 350 and thats still a lot of money. But as long as it's below 400 I'll be buying it day one.
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #284
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post

Prying open the top end of the casing reveals the hard drive bay, where we find a standard 5400rpm Hitachi hard drive - a Z5K500 HTS545050A7E380 model. It's a single platter 7mm drive but the bracket is large enough to support the more common 9.5mm units too.

Oh, so it's kind of like on Xbox 360, I'd never guessed they moved the HDD compartment up there. Thanks for the post.

Last edited by ps3bd_owner; 09-21-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #285

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
you "not a huge jump" people blow my mind. but $599 is just not happening
What do you base this off other than opinion? It isn't as simple as, 'Sony learning their lesson' with the PS3. Although i'm certain Sony won't be bold (or stupid) enough to Price the PS4 at $800, this doesn't mean they can turn around and sell a system for $299. Not in this market. Fact is that the dollar is weaker than it was six years ago. The fact that people think that the PS4 will be closer in price to a TWELVE year old system *$299 AT LAUNCH* (PS2) than the PS3 blows my mind.

Last edited by TequilaSunrise; 09-21-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #286
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Wow this new design is cheap looking but i guess that is kind of the point. Cheaper price for cheaper design. The loading mechanism is atrocious tho. Ill stick with my Slim.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #287
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
In my theater room.

I just love how the original PS3 looks compared to the other two models. This last model really reminds me of the PSone. Very tiny, and cheap.
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #288
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaSunrise View Post
What do you base this off other than opinion? It isn't as simple as, 'Sony learning their lesson' with the PS3. Although i'm certain Sony won't be bold (or stupid) enough to Price the PS4 at $800, this doesn't mean they can turn around and sell a system for $299. Not in this market. Fact is that the dollar is weaker than it was six years ago. The fact that people think that the PS4 will be closer in price to a TWELVE year old system (PS2) than the PS3 blows my mind.
i'm confused. they can't sell at $800 because that'd be stupid. but they can't sell at $299 either because the dollar is weaker. so apparently i think it'll be closer to $99 because that's what the ps2 costs.

huh?

the xbox 720 leaked pdf mentioned a $299 price for the xbox. why would sony price it anything else?

Last edited by xtop; 09-21-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #289
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Wow this new design is cheap looking but i guess that is kind of the point. Cheaper price for cheaper design. The loading mechanism is atrocious tho. Ill stick with my Slim.
The price really isn't cheap, it's actually considerably expensive in Europe.

I'd never recommend anyone to purchase this as the PS3's 2k/3k are better but once the old PS3 Slim models are gone from the stores, these will be the only option.

Unless the buyer buys from Amazon or eBay, even so, it shouldn't be too pricey.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #290
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Yay! I just got home and found a $250 check from my school waiting in the mail that I was not expecting at all. Comes at the perfect time just as my PS3 gets a YLOD and these new ones are announced
Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #291

Jul 2011

Quote:
i'm confused. they can't sell at $800 because that'd be stupid. but they can't sell at $299 either because the dollar is weaker. so apparently i think it'll be closer to $99 because that's what the ps2 costs.

huh?

the xbox 720 leaked pdf mentioned a $299 price for the xbox. why would sony price it anything else?

So in other words your reading is as bad as your punctuation?

To clarify my original statement, when I mentioned the price of the PS2, I was referring to price AT LAUNCH (I've edited my original post). I had no idea PS2s were still being sold, at least in NA. Quick 'PS2 console' google search only turns gamestop refurbs and used consoles on ebay...

The xbox 720 leaked document, moot point. Not only has that price not been confirmed, we are, at the least, a year away from a possible 720 launch. A lot can change in a year.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #292

Jan 2010
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post

Sweet,i'm getting one then..And i want the PS4 to be a graphical beast,i'd pay a thousand dollars if i had to.
Jeff Gordon #24-PS4-LG 47CM565 Passive 3D TV
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #293
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
So in other words your reading is as bad as your punctuation?

To clarify my original statement, when I mentioned the price of the PS2, I was referring to price AT LAUNCH (I've edited my original post). I had no idea PS2s were still being sold, at least in NA. Quick 'PS2 console' google search only turns gamestop refurbs and used consoles on ebay...

The xbox 720 leaked document, moot point. Not only has that price not been confirmed, we are, at the least, a year away from a possible 720 launch. A lot can change in a year.
i don't punctuate? are you serious right now? kindly leave the thread if this is the attitude you're going to have.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #294

Jul 2011

Quote:
i don't punctuate? are you serious right now? kindly leave the thread if this is the attitude you're going to have.

I never said you DON'T punctuate, I said your punctuation is bad. And as you have proved, again, so is your reading comprehension. Not to mention your capitalization...

This is not an 'attitude.' Simply, pointing out facts.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #295
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
I never said you DON'T punctuate, I said your punctuation is bad. And as you have proved, again, so is your reading comprehension. Not to mention your capitalization...

can you go back through the rest of my posts and fix everything else i messed up. thanks bro
Old 09-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #296
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Quote:

Punctuation being besides the point, xtop is right on two counts here.

1) Your original post was nearly incomprehensible. I *think* that you are talking production costs for Sony (as in Yen vs $), whereas we are talking market positioning. What the original price of the PS2 has to do with it ... I'm not sure.

2) If you seriously think Sony will launch the PS4 at $599, I'm not sure what to tell you at this point. The fact is that neither the CPU or the Optical drive in the PS4 will cost nearly as much as what they did for the PS3 in 2006, and that the then $599 price point did hurt Sony way too much for them to reiterate.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #297
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoejgde View Post
Sweet,i'm getting one then..And i want the PS4 to be a graphical beast,i'd pay a thousand dollars if i had to.
Consoles' hardware aren't upgradable so that'd be a huge waste of money, then again, it's your money.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #298
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Sony's vision for fall 2012:

"The consumer does not want price cuts, because it's confusing"

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...165852483.html

Quote:
Sony, it seems, thinks you're not a big fan of price cuts. Or at the very least, they think you're tired of trying to figure out where the real bargains are.
With this week's unveiling of the Super Slim PlayStation 3, pretty much everyone thought the company would slash prices on the current, uh, "fat" model to help clear space on shelves for the new hardware.
Everyone, that is, except Sony.
The electronics giant says it doesn't plan to make any pricing changes -- even to the now technologically inferior 160 GB model -- since it believes customers are tired of having to choose between differently priced systems.
"There's no price drop formally, but the thing that's been happening in the market over the last year or so is that there's been so many retail price promotions, and so many different gift card offers and all those things, being done by all of us (Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony), that we've heard from our consumer, 'Enough with all these weird price moves. What we really want is content and games and value,'" said John Koller, Sony Computer Entertainment America's VP of marketing, handhelds and home consoles, in an interview with Engadget.
Even in an industry where PR spin can put a nice shine on the lousiest news, a company arguing that customers don't want lower prices is hard to swallow.
It's unlikely that people who already own a PS3 are going to trade it in for a slimmer model with a slightly larger hard drive this late in the cycle. Sony's aiming for late adopters here -- and that's a crowd that makes its decisions purely on price.
Still, there could be a couple of other unspoken factors at work here. It's no secret that Sony is in a financial crisis these days, so there could be orders coming from up high that prevent the PlayStation division from making any formal cuts.
"They want to maintain the brand value and the equity in the Sony name," says P.J. McNealy of DWS Research. "They want to make sure Sony's not associated with a cheap box. So putting in more value also lets them to keep the price up and allows them to charge $60 for AAA titles."
Unfortunately, it also means they've missed out on a great opportunity to severely undercut the newly announced $300 low-end price of the Wii U. Instead, Sony will offer four different PS3 models to consumers: the old 160 GB version for $250, a Super Slim 250 GB model for $270, and, crazy as it sounds, a 320 GB old model and a new 500 GB Super Slim model priced identically at $300. Because you hate price drops.
That might keep the perceived brand value high, but it makes little sense for consumers.
"The reality is Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have two choices now. They can cut prices on current models or they can extend the life cycles of the current machines by adding more technology and bundling games with them. Sony is clearly in the second camp."
Maybe, but it probably could have found a better way of explaining that.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #299
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

What I don't want is $30 credit towards a crappy game (Dust514). Bad move Sony.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #300
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

"They want to maintain the brand value and the equity in the Sony name," says P.J. McNealy of DWS Research. "They want to make sure Sony's not associated with a cheap box. So putting in more value also lets them to keep the price up and allows them to charge $60 for AAA titles."

Bingo! I completely agree with this. It's similar to why Heineken costs more than Bud, too. It also helps to keep their customer base those who are more likely to spend full price on a game, accessories, DLC and other extras. Sony practices this in all of its product lines.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3