Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Skylanders: Trap Team Starter Pack (PS3)
$20.12

NHL 12 (PS3)
$9.23

Rogue Warrior (PS3)
$23.21

Zumba Fitness (PS3)
$27.50

Magus (PS3)
$11.00

Brave (PS3)
$19.99

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$14.99

Medal of Honor: Warfighter (PS3)
$18.39

Hitman: Absolution (PS3)
$14.57

The Last of Us (PS3)
$19.99

Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
$21.85

Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
$24.65

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #501
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

So my 1TB HDD came today. And it desn't install perfectly on to the new slim.

If you follow the instructions that appear when you turn on the first couple steps will go ok. But when it tries to build the database it fails at 70% everytime.

Work around....

Enter safe mode. For those that don't know:

Quote:
Safe mode is a feature for starting the PS3™ system with the "minimum required functionality" if the system is no longer able to start up normally due to an action was taken (such as turning off the system's MAIN POWER switch while data was being written to the hard disk drive). By starting up the system in safe mode then executing a menu option, you may be able to eliminate the symptom. Please note there is a chance that safe mode options will not fix the problem and you system will require service.

We do not recommend using the options in Safe Mode unless you are experiencing issues with the PLAYSTATION 3. Some of these options could result in loss of data.

If you choose to perform one of the Safe Mode options, please back up your data before attempting to enter safe mode (when possible).

Safe Mode is only available to PS3's with system software 2.60 or greater installed.

When to Use Safe Mode

Execute safe mode when the PS3™ is experiencing the following symptoms:
  1. When the PS3™ system is started up, the XMB™ menu is not displayed (only the wave screen background appears)
  2. When the PS3™ system is started up, nothing appears on the screen
  3. When the PS3™ system is started up, a message stating is displayed > > Restore operation > Restart
  4. Original message is displayed again or the system stops during restoration.
  5. When the PS3™ system is started up, a message stating is displayed > > Rebuild > Failure > System stops while formatting hard disk drive.
  6. The system stops while restarting after a PS3™ system update or while updating or rebuilding the database. The situation does not improve even when the system is restarted.

Safe Mode Options

In Safe Mode, you will have the following options:
  • Restart System - Ends safe mode and starts up the PLAYSTATION 3 normally.
  • Restore Default Settings - Performs the same operations as on the XMB™, and also deletes PlayStation®Network account information from the system.
  • Restore File System - Attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be saved. Corrupted data may be erased if it cannot be recovered.
  • Rebuild Database - Deletes messages, playlists, changes made on screens, trimming information for pictures in , video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information.
  • This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
  • Restore PS3 System - IMPORTANT: All data will be lost by performing this step.
  • This will reformat the hard drive on the PLAYSTATION 3, deleting all data and restoring it to as if it just came out of the box. This is the same as on the XMB.
  • System Update - Updates the PS3 system software. This can only be done with an update file already saved on an external storage media.

Activating Safe Mode

Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:
  1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3:
  1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."
You will then see a menu

Although on the new slim there is another option, 1a. Using that option sorted the problem although you don't get to keep any of thedata from the flash memory. Which was ok since all my saves are online.

So now I've got 830+GB to fill up
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #502
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
626, So Cal

curiuos how long a backup/restore will take.
---
"No matter where you go, there you are."
SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/WiiU
320GB CECHA01- YLOD; 160GB Drake's (hax0r3d OtherOS toy); 120GB Slim with Move
500GB Glacier White Destiny PS4
PSN: Uxi Twitter: Uxixu
Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #503
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
as long as one has PS+ to backup locked saves, its not even worth it
Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #504
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
Don't bother last month I had an error that wouldn't let my system start up and froze upon signing in to my account. So I did a backup/restore and every time I tried restoring it always stopped at 96% and every time I tired restoring it took 2hrs.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #505
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Yeah, if you are going to use a new console/HDD just worry about getting your save data sorted. Any music, video or games you've downloaded can all be gotten again once the new console/drive is up and running.

I'm in the process of finally being able to have all my downloaded content on the HDD at the same time.

Turns out that you can only have 32 downloads in the background at any one time lol. Why 32? I really don't know. Seems like an odd number but there you go.

Still got about another 30+ downloads waiting to go, so it's going to take a while yet to re download everything but it's great to finally be able to have everything on one drive and not have to worry about deleting things whenever I want to get a new game.
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #506
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Good stuff, mav. Glad u got it to work.

My HDD backup & upgrade went pretty much flawlessly, but I realize that may not be the case everytime.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #507
Special Member

Oct 2008
Le Canada

non related but I was wondering did anyone changed the blu-ray laser on their ''FAT'' PS3. How did it last ? is it effective ?? worth it ? I need to change mine but I'm not sure I want to change it or just buy a new console...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #508
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodiak View Post
non related but I was wondering did anyone changed the blu-ray laser on their ''FAT'' PS3. How did it last ? is it effective ?? worth it ? I need to change mine but I'm not sure I want to change it or just buy a new console...
I haven't done it yet. But in all my research a few months ago, it seems like you have about a 1 in 3 chance of lasting longer than a year, if you get one of the original lasers. There are plenty of the cheaper chinese replacement lasers, but who knows how good they are.
Pizza Breath in The Nostrils of Love

PSN/EA Origin = Toptube (for BF4)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #509
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Ontario, Canada

Had to buy my 3rd PS3 last night, BD drive seems to be on the fritz with my current one. Had a hell of a time trying to find a model other than the new super slim, finally ordered online the older 160gig barebones for $199.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #510

Dec 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_8ball View Post
Had to buy my 3rd PS3 last night, BD drive seems to be on the fritz with my current one. Had a hell of a time trying to find a model other than the new super slim, finally ordered online the older 160gig barebones for $199.
I tried the new super slim for about 2 weeks and it was nice but the manual disk drive started driving me insane!!!

Its awful if you watch a lot of bluray disks.

Open..........Shhhhhokkk.

Insert.........Click.

Close..........Shhhhhhock.

I returned it today and got a barebones 160gb slim for 250 at BB.

The one I got was the 3001 model.......I wish I could of found an older 2500 model with extra leds and a bigger fan but I had no luck.

Where did you order from and what model will you get?

My best buy had a great wall of china made with the normal slims....No joke.

Had to be around 80 or 100 of them stacked up.

If I buy another normal slim and save it up in my closet new in box I wonder if it will be worth some extra money in a couple of years since the wiki page says only the super slim is now in production.

The PS4 better have an automatic disk drive.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #511
Special Member

Oct 2008
Le Canada

why do you guys hate the super slim so much ? I'm about to buy one , should I ?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #512
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Yes. Its just fine. Most people dont like how it looks and the fact that its a top loader. The thing functions perfectly and Ive had no issues with it since I got it back in Oct.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #513
Banned

Dec 2011

Quote:
There does seem to be alot of people in general unhappy with the new design. I got mine BF & it's been in constant use. Streaming, Gaming, & ofcourse a TON of blu's. Absolutely no problems to report. I have been quite pleased with the system. At first I was put off by the top loading but now I gotta say I perfer it. The best part of it is the ability to put in or take out disc's without turning on the system. Anyway, my experience with the super slim has been nothing but positive.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #514

Dec 2010
USA

I still think that sony should of at least made the sliding door electric to make it retro yet modern.

PS3 slim drive > Xbox 360 pop out drive > PS2 slim pop up door > PS3 super slim sliding door.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #515
Special Member

Oct 2008
Le Canada

I don't really care for the look of it... The top CD thing looks great I don't understand the hate... and yeah it's cool to take off a cd without turning on the console...
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #516

Jan 2013

Quote:
I don't really care for the look of it... The top CD thing looks great I don't understand the hate... and yeah it's cool to take off a cd without turning on the console...
I'm on the other side of the fence: I think the older 'slim' PS3 looks much sleeker and find the 'eat-your-blu-ray' drive more novel than a top-loader.

Does the top-loader remind anyone else of the PS1 (or Dreamcast etc for that matter)?

Last edited by Fixation; 01-15-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #517
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixation View Post
I'm on the other side of the fence: I think the older 'slim' PS3 looks much sleeker and find the 'eat-your-blu-ray' drive more novel than a top-loader.

Does the top-loader remind anyone else of the PS1 (or Dreamcast etc for that matter)?
No bc those flipped up and this slides out.

I'm also with the guy that doesn't care how it looks. The thing functions the same and at the end if the day, that's what matters
Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #518
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
In my theater room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_8ball View Post
Have you ever considered replacing your bd drive yourself? My ultra cool fat model's bd drive died (way out of warranty), so I bought a new drive off of eBay and replaced it. Works fantastic now.
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #519
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
No bc those flipped up and this slides out.

I'm also with the guy that doesn't care how it looks. The thing functions the same and at the end if the day, that's what matters
I also feel the same way.
Steve
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #520
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Finally! A PS3 that matches my IKEA kitchen. Out Jan. 27th

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
LG OLED65E6P Owner

My Flickr
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3