Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$18.31
 
Early Man (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
A Matter of Life and Death (Blu-ray)
$30.37
1 hr ago
Life (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Eaten Alive! (Blu-ray)
$15.49
 
Game Night (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
The Leftovers: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.96
 
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
 
Last Tango in Paris (Blu-ray)
$7.99
 
Class of 1999 (Blu-ray)
$21.76
11 hrs ago
Jigsaw (Blu-ray)
$12.44
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
obiwopkenobi62 obiwopkenobi62 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
obiwopkenobi62's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Deatsville, Al
531
1143
62
2
6
Default Polk speaker question

Hi all,
I just recently ordered new speakers. They haven't arrived yet, but I have a question. I'm getting monitor 50 floorstandings(front), monitor 30 bookshelf(surround) and a CS1(center). I was looking at the picture of the connectors on the back of the Monitor 50's and noticed upper and lower pos/neg connections. I have an Onkyo 605s receiver. Which connectors do I run my speaker wire to, the top or bottom? Sorry if I sound clueless but this is the first time I will have these kind of connectors. Thanks in advance for any input that will help me.
Home Theater...
Mits WD-65638 65" 1080p DLP 3D HDTV w/3D Starter Kit, DirectTV HD 5 tuner DVR w/ 1TB HD, Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 3D Rcvr, Sony BDP-S470 3D BR player, PS3 slim 160g, Xbox360 Elite w/Kinect, Wii, Surround: Polk Mon 50's, 30's, Center & Sub, Harmony One, Apple MacMini HTPC,
My Star Wars Room"The Outer Rim" http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=2438
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Blu Titan Blu Titan is online now
Super Moderator
 
Blu Titan's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai
39
2498
2
92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwopkenobi62 View Post
Hi all,
I just recently ordered new speakers. They haven't arrived yet, but I have a question. I'm getting monitor 50 floorstandings(front), monitor 30 bookshelf(surround) and a CS1(center). I was looking at the picture of the connectors on the back of the Monitor 50's and noticed upper and lower pos/neg connections. I have an Onkyo 605s receiver. Which connectors do I run my speaker wire to, the top or bottom? Sorry if I sound clueless but this is the first time I will have these kind of connectors. Thanks in advance for any input that will help me.
Those connectors can be used for bi-wiring if you are running a 5.1 set up. You have to remove the "metal bridge" that links the connectors in the back of the speakers. Look in the bi-wiring thread on the audio forum. Here you are: Bi-wiring / bi-amping speakers

Last edited by Blu Titan; 11-02-2009 at 07:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Fors* Fors* is offline
Moderator
 
Fors*'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(
145
130
11
Default

Either, it doesn't matter. The reason there are 2 sets is to give you the choice of bi-amping/bi-wiring the 50's.

Congrats on your purchase by the way!
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
stickb5 stickb5 is offline
Member
 
Feb 2009
Long Island, NY.
Thumbs up

Well, the 2 connectors on the speakers are for what is call bi-amp or bi-wiring. Bi-amping is when you use 2 different amps to power your speakers, the lower side of the connectors is for the bass/lows of your speakers and the top ones are for the highs/treble of your speakers. Bi-wiring is when you use the same amp and run 2 set of cables to your speakers, now i saw that you have a 605 and i think it can bi-amp your speakers. which in the case, you do not use your surround back speakers in a 7.1 setup it will redirect the power of the backs to Bi-amp the fronts. What you should do is just make sure that the GOLD port of the 2 connectors are in uninterrupted to one another and just connect the speaker cable to either or it does not matter. Good Luck
ELITE PLAYER.

Last edited by stickb5; 11-02-2009 at 08:09 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
DonRSD DonRSD is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
DonRSD's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
South Florida
24
254
3
124
Default

on the 'polk instructions' the diagram shows the speaker inputs to use (top or bottom)
PSN: DonVCorleone
Xbox Live: DonRSD
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
obiwopkenobi62 obiwopkenobi62 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
obiwopkenobi62's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Deatsville, Al
531
1143
62
2
6
Default

Big thanks to everyone for the info. I really appreciate it. As usual this is the best place for help with all things Home Theater.
Home Theater...
Mits WD-65638 65" 1080p DLP 3D HDTV w/3D Starter Kit, DirectTV HD 5 tuner DVR w/ 1TB HD, Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 3D Rcvr, Sony BDP-S470 3D BR player, PS3 slim 160g, Xbox360 Elite w/Kinect, Wii, Surround: Polk Mon 50's, 30's, Center & Sub, Harmony One, Apple MacMini HTPC,
My Star Wars Room"The Outer Rim" http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=2438
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
obiwopkenobi62 obiwopkenobi62 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
obiwopkenobi62's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Deatsville, Al
531
1143
62
2
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickb5 View Post
Well, the 2 connectors on the speakers are for what is call bi-amp or bi-wiring. Bi-amping is when you use 2 different amps to power your speakers, the lower side of the connectors is for the bass/lows of your speakers and the top ones are for the highs/treble of your speakers. Bi-wiring is when you use the same amp and run 2 set of cables to your speakers, now i saw that you have a 605 and i think it can bi-amp your speakers. which in the case, you do not use your surround back speakers in a 7.1 setup it will redirect the power of the backs to Bi-amp the fronts. What you should do is just make sure that the GOLD port of the 2 connectors are in uninterrupted to one another and just connect the speaker cable to either or it does not matter. Good Luck
Think I will do that, stick with the bottom or top only. Thanks a bunch.
Home Theater...
Mits WD-65638 65" 1080p DLP 3D HDTV w/3D Starter Kit, DirectTV HD 5 tuner DVR w/ 1TB HD, Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 3D Rcvr, Sony BDP-S470 3D BR player, PS3 slim 160g, Xbox360 Elite w/Kinect, Wii, Surround: Polk Mon 50's, 30's, Center & Sub, Harmony One, Apple MacMini HTPC,
My Star Wars Room"The Outer Rim" http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=2438
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
wafi wafi is offline
Power Member
 
wafi's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
along the beltway
26
381
9
4
Default

I just got a pair of polks that I plan on setting up thise weekend, so this helps bigtime! Thanks OP for putting this up! And thanks for all the info everyone!
2D LOYALIST

Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD + Pioneer BDP-320
Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100 + Pioneer BDP-51FD
Vizio VA370M + Pioneer BDP-320
Samsung LNT3253H +Sony BDP-S300
Pioneer VSX819HK + Polk Audio Monitor 70s + Polk Audio RM8+ Mirage MM6

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
obiwopkenobi62 obiwopkenobi62 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
obiwopkenobi62's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Deatsville, Al
531
1143
62
2
6
Default

Well I got the new speakers all hooked up and what a difference. It's like night and day. Thanks to everyone for the info on the wiring. I went ahead and just ran the wires to the lower posts. Now I have to rewatch quite a few movies.
Home Theater...
Mits WD-65638 65" 1080p DLP 3D HDTV w/3D Starter Kit, DirectTV HD 5 tuner DVR w/ 1TB HD, Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 3D Rcvr, Sony BDP-S470 3D BR player, PS3 slim 160g, Xbox360 Elite w/Kinect, Wii, Surround: Polk Mon 50's, 30's, Center & Sub, Harmony One, Apple MacMini HTPC,
My Star Wars Room"The Outer Rim" http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=2438
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
230
47
Default

Obi,

Another thing you can do with your Onkyo 605 is to run cables from the 6th and 7th speaker output on the back of the receiver into whichever (top or bottom) you are not using and then set the receiver up for Bi-amping, I hear that that allows the Polks to open up a bit overall.

Check your Onkyo receivers manual to see exactly how to set this up, but I think it would be a good decision.
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
808leo 808leo is offline
Member
 
Aug 2009
7
90
Default

i to have a 605 onkyo and just running the monitor 70.. would i also be able to bi-amp the speakers even tho i dont have a 5.1 setup?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
Fors* Fors* is offline
Moderator
 
Fors*'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(
145
130
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808leo View Post
i to have a 605 onkyo and just running the monitor 70.. would i also be able to bi-amp the speakers even tho i dont have a 5.1 setup?
Yes, you would run speaker wire from your front terminals on the back of the 605 to the top set of terminals on the 70's. Then run speaker wire from the 2 rear surround terminals on the back of the receiver to the bottom set of terminals on your 70's. Remember to take out the bronze bridges that is secured under the terminals on the back of the speakers. Finally, in your receiver, change it from "normal" or something like that in the 605 to "bi-amp". This is referred to as passive bi-amping.
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
808leo 808leo is offline
Member
 
Aug 2009
7
90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
Yes, you would run speaker wire from your front terminals on the back of the 605 to the top set of terminals on the 70's. Then run speaker wire from the 2 rear surround terminals on the back of the receiver to the bottom set of terminals on your 70's. Remember to take out the bronze bridges that is secured under the terminals on the back of the speakers. Finally, in your receiver, change it from "normal" or something like that in the 605 to "bi-amp". This is referred to as passive bi-amping.
thanks for the quick reply.. is there any cons to bi-amping?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
Fors* Fors* is offline
Moderator
 
Fors*'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(
145
130
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808leo View Post
thanks for the quick reply.. is there any cons to bi-amping?
Don't expect any miracles.....I tried bi-amping and did not notice any improvement. But I believe that was more of a limitation of my speakers and the fact I was using passive bi-amping as well. If you are not using your rear surrounds, you might as well give it a try, as you have nothing to lose.

Check out this sticky from Jomari, it lists all the pro and cons of passive, active/passive and active bi-amping:

Bi-Amping/Bi-Wiring Research Material
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
808leo 808leo is offline
Member
 
Aug 2009
7
90
Default

i love this site, so much info might as well give it a swirl nothing to lose but a few feet of speaker wire
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
juanchibiris juanchibiris is offline
Member
 
Jan 2010
Medellin, Colombia.
Default

And is better to bi-amp the surrounds or the Fronts, i have an Onkyo 606 and Monitors 60-40.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
Rike255 Rike255 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Rike255's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255
44
57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808leo View Post
thanks for the quick reply.. is there any cons to bi-amping?
More cabling can count as a con especially if you're buying expensive cables. But monoprice is your friend!
PSN ID: Rike255 | My Home Theatre!
Paradigm Cinema 400 x5 & PSW505 | Marantz SR7007 | Vizio M65 4K TV | PS3 | PS4
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
Hammie Hammie is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Hammie's Avatar
 
May 2008
Washington, DC Metro
53
545
12
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808leo View Post
thanks for the quick reply.. is there any cons to bi-amping?
Unless you are going to buy dedicated amps in order to bi-amp, the chances of seeing any improvement are next to zero if you are only using your extra receiver channels.

If you are using 5 of the 7 channels right now, you are getting more wattage to each channel versus having all 7 channels running. So, if you are getting 100 watts per channel when running 5 channels, your wattage will drop to around 70 watts when you bi-amp and have all 7 channels running. This is why many see no improvement when they try the bi-amping option with their receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post
And is better to bi-amp the surrounds or the Fronts, i have an Onkyo 606 and Monitors 60-40.
It is always better to bi-amp the fronts because that is where most of the important information will be coming from as far as dialog and action. Surrounds are simply filler speakers to give some ambiance. Rarely will the real dialog or action be taking place behind you. BTW, my $3K B&W surrounds do not even have a bi-amp option. They have a single pair of posts.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #19
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
230
47
Default

well whats up guys... I am in the office today so I have some free time... was preparing my business plan for the year last week and presented it yest. in front of my DM and Area VP.... went well.

So some of you may know I am deciding between a new sub, and it is a Hsu or eD... I just don't know what to dooooooooo..... The Hsu is a discontinued one so I have limited options if I don't like it or whatever... the eD is well you know.... I am so torn.. long story short, I want the Hsu, but the guy has me hung up.... NOW I really want one of the current Hsu and not the discontinued one... but it is outta my price range... AGONY.........
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
Fors* Fors* is offline
Moderator
 
Fors*'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(
145
130
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
well whats up guys... I am in the office today so I have some free time... was preparing my business plan for the year last week and presented it yest. in front of my DM and Area VP.... went well.

So some of you may know I am deciding between a new sub, and it is a Hsu or eD... I just don't know what to dooooooooo..... The Hsu is a discontinued one so I have limited options if I don't like it or whatever... the eD is well you know.... I am so torn.. long story short, I want the Hsu, but the guy has me hung up.... NOW I really want one of the current Hsu and not the discontinued one... but it is outta my price range... AGONY.........
I just think that with the great deal you are getting on that Hsu sub...I would go with that one. I wouldn't want to wait a month for my new sub to arrive with eD...but thats me.
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
speaker mounts that come with the Polk RM6880's... Speakers Steelmaker 1 01-16-2009 08:23 PM
Polk RM6750 speaker question Speakers RHINES4 6 11-18-2008 04:04 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03 AM.