Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The King and I (Blu-ray)
$10.00
7 hrs ago
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 hrs ago
Alien Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
This is what I did. Rather than get a budget 5.1 system, buy the best reciever and stereo speakers you can. Then add to it as you go on (obviously choose speakers you can add rears too without problems). There's no race to build a system and taking your time means you get to enjoy each incremental improvement.
The quality receivers are just too expensive for me individually and then buying speaker sets are even more so. Overall even opting to go with a top line 2.1 system like you suggested would just accumulate too much $$$. I am actuelly quite content on going with the Pioneer VSX-522 receiver package (which includes speakers.) It may not be the best receiver or speakers ever made, but overall it seems like good value for money and I have heard good things about it for a budget sized system. It should make for a substitution upgrade on my TV speakers anyway and it has all the things I am looking for whist also being a cost efficient set up.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #22

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
OK, for approx. $500 you should be able to do something ...

Example :

Speakers - $300 for the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882269024

Receiver - Yamaha and Onkyo both make units in the $200-250 range.

Yamaha V373 $177
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115373

Sorry, don't know AUS prices for these, but hopefully it's not a lot higher.

I second this recommendation, and would add Denon to the list of receiver choices.

There's also this combo pairing Denon / Boston Acoustics that I think for this price range would definitely be worth a listen.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DHT-1513...+acoustics[url

Unfortunately, $500 is a tough price point to "build" a future higher spec system. Any one piece in that future system is likely to cost more than $500, meaning that with these recommendations, there isn't one item that you'd likely avoid replacing when considering a higher spec system. But, with any of these recommended combos, having both speakers and a receiver from respectable makes gives you the advantage of being able to replace one component at a time with a higher spec item while allowing you to capture at least some of the upgraded potential on your carryover components.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Blu-21 - It looks like people here aren't hearing your financial limitations, the challenge that AUS pricing adds, and your willingness to settle for a lesser quality solution. The Pioneer system looks like it will meet your requirements.

What equipment will be connecting? That receiver does not have any component video inputs. I suggest you take an inventory of your current gear and other equipment you may buy to make sure it will all work with that receiver.

Last edited by BIslander; 03-24-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Blu-21 - It looks like people here aren't hearing your financial limitations, the challenge that AUS pricing adds, and your willingness to settle for a lesser quality solution. The Pioneer system looks like it will meet your requirements.

What equipment will be connecting? That receiver does not have any component video inputs. I suggest you take an inventory of your current gear and other equipment you may buy to make sure it will all work with that receiver.
Thanks for the understanding and support, BIslander. The way I see it: anything would be better then letting my HDTV speakers supply me sound and I am not a fussy person when it comes to home theater because honestly, I have never had a external audio set up of any type in the past EVER, so this Pioneer HTP-522 home theater system package at the very least seems like a good basic introductory into the world of 5.1 surround sound. Plus with an actual receiver, I always have the option of upgrading the speakers later down the road when I see fit...

As for the equipment, for now, I only plan to connect devices that hook up via HDMI like my Blu-Ray player and eventually my XBox 360 (when I get it fixed that is, since it just RROD on me a little while ago.) The only possible exception to this would be my Laserdisc player which for general experimental curiosity sake, I wouldn't mind hooking up to the VSX-522 Receiver via composite to test out the sound/audio, but that is FAR from a deal breaker for me since I don't plan to keep my Laserdisc player hooked up in the lounge room anyway. So even if I can't do that then that's fine because the important stuff I plan to hook up the receiver in order to take advantage of 5.1 surround sound is devices that use HDMI like the ones I mentioned and I don't see that changing...

Last edited by Blu-21; 03-25-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #25

Nov 2010

Blu 21,

I think that would be a great package. Here in the states these are sold at Walmart, and on their website, there are about 20 reviews and everyone gives it 5 stars and seems happy with it. In fact I think the receiver in the Walmart version is the 322. So if people like this one, the 522 should be even better.

And I can attest to the fact that even an inexpensive home theater system like this can provide amazing, immersive sound.

I think you'll be very happy with it.

Last edited by nst7; 03-25-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion