Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Three Musketeers 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$7.50
Vikings: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Fast & Furious 1-6 Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.49
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$87.99
Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$20.00
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$15.00
3 Games to Glory IV (Blu-ray)
$34.59
Wild (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Predestination (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Weeds: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 04-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #1121
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Singapore

Just learned of another Blu-ray with Auro 3D from their Facebook page.
A Belgian comedy called "Bowling Balls"

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/bowling-balls/9200000040520739/

Not sure if it's 9.1 or 11.1
One of the first Blu-rays featuring Auro 3D that isn't pure audio music.

Last edited by BozQ; 04-29-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #1122

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozQ View Post
Just learned of another Blu-ray with Auro 3D from their Facebook page.
A Belgian comedy called "Bowling Balls"

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/bowling-balls/9200000040520739/

Not sure if it's 9.1 or 11.1
One of the first Blu-rays featuring Auro 3D that isn't pure audio music.
http://www.hdsurround.ch/kompletteex...offiziell.html
Thanks given by:
BozQ (04-29-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #1123

Dec 2007

Interesting article from Audioholics!

http://www.audioholics.com/editorial...one-year-later

I know they are perceived as Dolby haters - I get that. However they make some very interesting points. I can't believe Atmos has been around for a year now!
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #1124
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Interesting article from Audioholics!

http://www.audioholics.com/editorial...one-year-later

I know they are perceived as Dolby haters - I get that. However they make some very interesting points. I can't believe Atmos has been around for a year now!

The idea of speakers belting out sound waves to bounce off the ceiling is inherently ludicrous, and everyone knows it. No one - even the people who make such horrors - really believes in it. Discrete speakers are the way to go, even if this thing gets off the ground.

The real issue is whether signal processing units will be integrated into new receivers, and at what cost. An external unit that attaches to the receiver will work, allowing the miniscule audience for additional channels to delve into it. Corporate and legal challenges to any pass-through setup is the only real problem, and it's self-inflicted.

Purchasing all-new speakers for the audiophile audience this is targeted for makes little sense, at this point, or at any point going forward. Setting up speakers like some kind of auditory anti-aircraft battery in homes with sloped ceilings, pre-set seating positions and speaker placement, and wiring considerations, is even sillier.

It's just not going anywhere. We need to ignore the manufacturer hype, which seems to be based on a total gear reboot, which is strangling this thing right from the outset.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #1125
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:

*What* interesting points?

That it isn't time for second-gen gear yet? Atmos was ANNOUNCED a year ago. Gear did not come out a year ago!

Looks like being an audioholic is a lot like being an alcoholic: you say a lot of stupid things under the influence.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #1126
Special Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
The idea of speakers belting out sound waves to bounce off the ceiling is inherently ludicrous, and everyone knows it. No one - even the people who make such horrors - really believes in it. Discrete speakers are the way to go, even if this thing gets off the ground.

The real issue is whether signal processing units will be integrated into new receivers, and at what cost. An external unit that attaches to the receiver will work, allowing the miniscule audience for additional channels to delve into it. Corporate and legal challenges to any pass-through setup is the only real problem, and it's self-inflicted.

Purchasing all-new speakers for the audiophile audience this is targeted for makes little sense, at this point, or at any point going forward. Setting up speakers like some kind of auditory anti-aircraft battery in homes with sloped ceilings, pre-set seating positions and speaker placement, and wiring considerations, is even sillier.

It's just not going anywhere. We need to ignore the manufacturer hype, which seems to be based on a total gear reboot, which is strangling this thing right from the outset.
Do you keep this post copied somwhere?

Sure the wording edited, spew is the same.

DSX, IIz and Presence have been around for years.

Where were you then, to denounce those?

Are you also hating on Denon's ability to run height/width together?

Or Yamaha Rear Presence?(yep, Yamaha has had Rear Presence a couple of years now)
Main Theatre

JVC DLA-RS60 with Screen Research ClearPix II Hitachi P50X901
Onkyo TX-NR1008: BIC V830/820/62/62clrs in 9.1 height
Oppo 970 Universal DVD and Mits VHS (both NTSC/PAL)
Panasonic DMP BD35, Orei M2 (set region B) and Toshiba HD-A3
Onkyo DX-390, Dual 1218, Nak 680, RCA CED, DirecTV and Lenovo Q190
Old 04-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #1127

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
*What* interesting points?

That it isn't time for second-gen gear yet? Atmos was ANNOUNCED a year ago. Gear did not come out a year ago!

Looks like being an audioholic is a lot like being an alcoholic: you say a lot of stupid things under the influence.
Interesting points are those dealing with acoustics. The setup for an Atmos enabled speaker set-up (the bouncy ones) go directly against a proper 2 channel set up. You can see that plainly. You want to get rid of first order reflections - that includes the walls, floors and ceilings (seems like Atmos relies on first order reflections). Mind you, I'm not talking about Atmos in the cinema - but in the home. People have systems that do more than one thing and the points that they make are legit.

I'm interested and disappointed IN DTS at the same time, no added info, very generic (some liked it - others didn't ....like some of my pals over at Hometheaterreview.com). I can't say that I truly trust them (DTS).

I haven't put away my entire conspiracy theory yet either. I'm not a very big ..."me too" type of person. Tell me - you don't see Dolby trying to package Atmos in a Dolby Digital Plus format instead of lossless? I see it plain as day. Audio is always viewed as less important than video - but I value both....I can actually hear way better than I can see.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.

Last edited by prerich; 04-30-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #1128
Special Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
Interesting points are those dealing with acoustics. The setup for an Atmos enabled speaker set-up (the bouncy ones) go directly against a proper 2 channel set up. You can see that plainly. You want to get rid of first order reflections - that includes the walls, floors and ceilings (seems like Atmos relies on first order reflections). Mind you, I'm not talking about Atmos in the cinema - but in the home. People have systems that do more than one thing and the points that they make are legit.

I'm interested and disappointed at DTS at the same time, no added info, very generic (some liked it - others didn't ....like some of my pals over at Hometheaterreview.com). I can't say that I truly trust them.

I haven't put away my entire conspiracy theory yet either. I'm not a very big ..."me too" type of person. Tell me - you don't see Dolby trying to package Atmos in a Dolby Digital Plus format instead of lossless? I see it plain as day. Audio is always viewed as less important than video - but I value both....I can actually hear way better than I can see.
Vudu, Netflix and Hulu are all rolling out Atmos on DD+.
Main Theatre

Old 04-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #1129

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Vudu, Netflix and Hulu are all rolling out Atmos on DD+.
That's what I'm talking about. I'm seeing a bigger picture in all of this. To me this is a sinister plan to get rid of physical studio grade media. Most people know that the main thing that keeps the audio-centric person from going to downloadable media is audio quality.

Dolby Digital Plus is better than ol' AC3, and the fact that it can carry the metadata for Atmos, studios are banking on this for download acceptance across the board. If we give them just a little better audio - with more info via objects - they will forget about lossless TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #1130
Special Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. I'm seeing a bigger picture in all of this. To me this is a sinister plan to get rid of physical studio grade media. Most people know that the main thing that keeps the audio-centric person from going to downloadable media is audio quality.

Dolby Digital Plus is better than ol' AC3, and the fact that it can carry the metadata for Atmos, studios are banking on this for download acceptance across the board. If we give them just a little better audio - with more info via objects - they will forget about lossless TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA.
You forget...

Those with AVR based systems are a minority.
7.1 is a smaller minority.
Spatial-object users are an even smaller minority.

It "costs nothing" to add object cues(once the recording engineering is done).

DTS X. Will they have to come up with DTS+?

Will DTS ever, really, become relevant in the streaming/cloud world?(my Roku does DTS. I've never seen DTS on the AVR, always DD and DD+)

Maybe Dolby wants a streaming/cloud world to kill DTS.
Main Theatre

Old 04-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #1131

Dec 2007

Quote:
You forget...

Will DTS ever, really, become relevant in the streaming/cloud world?(my Roku does DTS. I've never seen DTS on the AVR, always DD and DD+)

Tru-dat!!! Very interesting indeed!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #1132
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
You forget...

Aside from what ever video/audio effects are enhanced at the theaters, audio/video on the move is a much bigger marketplace then the insignificant 3D audio marketplace for one's home in comparison. Its why we saw both Atmos and DTS:X angling products from the get go for people who carry smart devices/audio players by showing off pseudo 3D audio when listening to headphones while watching cloud based video streaming.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #1133
Special Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Aside from what ever video/audio effects are enhanced at the theaters, audio/video on the move is a much bigger marketplace then the insignificant 3D audio marketplace for one's home in comparison. Its why we saw both Atmos and DTS:X angling products from the get go for people who carry smart devices/audio players by showing off pseudo 3D audio when listening to headphones while watching cloud based video streaming.
I would keep headphone object based separate. Spatial cueing has always worked better (on average) with sound on your ears...than in the room.

Ear buds to full blown open on ear headphones is a narrower gap than an Energy Take to a Magnepan 3.7.
Main Theatre

Old 04-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #1134
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
I would keep headphone object based separate. Spatial cueing has always worked better (on average) with sound on your ears...than in the room.

Ear buds to full blown open on ear headphones is a narrower gap than an Energy Take to a Magnepan 3.7.
Sorry never been a real fan of those, some love them, I don't. Greatly prefer Dr. Heil's Transar driver/speaker system along with its ability to reproduce a very dynamic kick drum heavy solo. Those Magnepan just don't reproduce bass decently with accuracy. Now getting back to DTS Headphone:X and Dolby on the Go, I understand it hard to "love" either Dolby or DTS about their spatially recreated 3D home theater experience on just a pair of headphones while comparing this to object based home theater playback and product introductions, but they are gravitating that direction not to place all bets on whether home theater sales do or don't make a lot of money. Which is why I replied to your "Maybe Dolby wants a streaming/cloud world to kill DTS" comment.
Thanks given by:
prerich (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #1135
Special Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
Sorry never been a real fan of those, some love them, I don't. Greatly prefer Dr. Heil's Transar driver/speaker system along with its ability to reproduce a very dynamic kick drum heavy solo. Those Magnepan just don't reproduce bass decently with accuracy. Now getting back to DTS Headphone:X and Dolby on the Go, I understand it hard to "love" either Dolby or DTS about their spatially recreated 3D home theater experience on just a pair of headphones while comparing this to object based home theater playback and product introductions, but they are gravitating that direction not to place all bets on whether home theater sales do or don't make a lot of money. Which is why I replied to your "Maybe Dolby wants a streaming/cloud world to kill DTS" comment.
I was just talking about spatial cues. Not whether a speaker can do kick drum. Although I'm sure a 3.7 kicks a Take to the curb...😊

I was just saying headphone tech is a different subject. Both the AVR and headphone receive a raw bitstream.

Headphone tech can be pinpointed as, like I said, ear bud to on ear open is a narrower gap.

AVR based has a wider variable...without even bringing up first order reflective enabled Atmos.
Main Theatre

Old 05-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #1136
Special Member

Sep 2009

Going Mobile with Dolby Atmos - Sound & Vision

Is there something wrong with this picture?

Quote:
So… How Does It Sound?
As I expected, the bigger the headphones, the better the experience. Even compact earbuds undeniably reap the benefit of Atmos Mobile, but they were the least impressive of all the styles I tried. They’re certainly not as generous in their rendering of the enhanced soundfield. Even so, Dolby’s object-based approach to audio as individual elements—musical notes, nature sounds, heavy metal crashes—yields at the very least a newfound spaciousness, beyond anything I’m used to from mobile video. The pleasant little “Audiosphere” ditty syncs beautifully with the onscreen action, and while there is some illusion of height, more pronounced is the wonderful sense of depth throughout.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #1137
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Going Mobile with Dolby Atmos - Sound & Vision

Is there something wrong with this picture?
People need to realize Atmos is an experience, not a format per se.

Mono -> stereo -> surround -> Atmos.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #1138
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Do you keep this post copied somwhere?

Sure the wording edited, spew is the same.

DSX, IIz and Presence have been around for years.

Where were you then, to denounce those?

Are you also hating on Denon's ability to run height/width together?

Or Yamaha Rear Presence?(yep, Yamaha has had Rear Presence a couple of years now)

Yeah, whatever. I have all those modes, and they work fine. I have no problems with height surround modes, either. I'm just waiting to see these marketers will stop trying to dance on banana peels, while begging for money.

If you see my statements as a "denunciation", I hope your reading comprehension improves. I'd like to get all the sound modes, without tossing out perfectly good equipment. You seem obsessed with sniffing out "haters" (an witless term), which is popular with folks who enjoy technology fashion shows.

I care not a whit what some named manufacturer - Denon, Yamaha, or whoever - glues onto their latest offering. I'm brand-agnostic. While I have preferences, every manufacturer should have the same features available around the same time. I have all of the modes you mentioned (except for "DSX" - what is that?), or the equally mysterious "Yamaha Presence", which holds little interest for me.

This stuff is on receivers I purchased almost a decade ago. Should I run out and buy a new receiver every year or two because some manufacturer included sound modes that may or may not succeed?

Have a ball with this "you're just a hater" silliness. In fact, back it up with some purchases, right now, while waiting for DTS:X to show up, when you can run out and do it again. It's a personal choice.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #1139
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
People need to realize Atmos is an experience, not a format per se.

Mono -> stereo -> surround -> Atmos.

I can play back a format, but not an experience.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion