Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$14.59
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #1901
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
While Ridley Scott didn't oversee the "Director's Cut" the studio knew exactly what he wanted and cut it appropriately. The Final Cut, in story and editing terms, is barely any different.
IMO the Final Cut leans more towards the workprint than it does the '91 DC, though it's basically a combination of both.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:20 AM   #1902
Special Member

Jul 2008

Everybody to your corners, and anyone who has not read Future Noir (the Blade Runner Bible) please do so before the bell rings again.
Thanks given by:
MilkManX (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 AM   #1903
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
IMO the Final Cut leans more towards the workprint than it does the '91 DC, though it's basically a combination of both.
What are the significant differences between the Final Cut and Director's Cut in your opinion? Other than the digital cleanup and such.

From my memory it's the shot of the hockey mask girls and a couple snips, but nothing major. I could be wrong.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #1904
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbfree View Post
Everybody to your corners, and anyone who has not read Future Noir (the Blade Runner Bible) please do so before the bell rings again.
Second edition please!
Leo needs new shoes...
Old 10-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #1905
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
What are the significant differences between the Final Cut and Director's Cut in your opinion? Other than the digital cleanup and such.

From my memory it's the shot of the hockey mask girls and a couple snips, but nothing major. I could be wrong.
Yeah, the animoid row extension is the biggie, but it's more to do with the audio, like with the more audible spinner radio chatter at the beginning, the extension to Bryant's dialogue when he's showing Deckard the tapes of the replicants, the guy saying "Kowalski" when he opens the door to Leon's apartment, and of course the "father" line from Batty, along with other little bits and pieces. Now I come to think of it, they've also reintegrated the extra violence from the international version, so the FC is more like the son of a thousand fathers.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #1906
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yeah, the animoid row extension is the biggie, but it's more to do with the audio, like with the more audible spinner radio chatter at the beginning, the extension to Bryant's dialogue when he's showing Deckard the tapes of the replicants, the guy saying "Kowalski" when he opens the door to Leon's apartment, and of course the "father" line from Batty, along with other little bits and pieces. Now I come to think of it, they've also reintegrated the extra violence from the international version, so the FC is more like the son of a thousand fathers.
Ah, I didn't know there were that many audio changes. I like the father line a lot, and the others are positives for me too I think.

I'm usually opposed to film revisionism, but the Final Cut of Blade Runner is one case where I think they did it right. No big changes, no new effects, just cleaning it up and fixing some stuff. I adore it. However I totally get preferring the older cuts. It's a great thing they're all included.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #1907
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Shropshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to dallywhitty

Although I prefer the Director's Cut, there are a couple of things I think the Final Cut got right: the alternate take of the unicorn dream sequence and the implementation of the violence that was absent from the US theatrical version.
Favourite film: Blade Runner --- Favourite director: David Lynch
Favourite album: Movement by New Order --- Favourite novel: It by Stephen King
Currently reading: Ban This Filth: Letters from the Mary Whitehouse Archive by Ben Thompson.

Temptation's calling you, a secret reply.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #1908
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
I agree. Although I do enjoy watching the International Cut with the narration. But I wouldn't of liked to have had it on the Final Cut.

I do think the Final Cut is perfect in terms of the film, the look and the sound. But one thing that has bothered me, is when Deckard is in the lift going back to his apartment, Rachel is in the corner/shadows of the lift, in the Final Cut she doesn't say "Deckard", which startles him, instead she says nothing. There is something about a voice from the shadows which would scare me, and I wish that was kept.

But I really appreciate the change when Roy says "I want more life, Father", rather than "I want more life, ****er". Its been awhile since I have watched the other cuts but which cut(s) feature the line with "****er"?

Out of interest, what is everyone else's favourite changes?

There are many others I could list, but just want to hear from other peeps.
I didn't really like that change as well. This is one instance where I prefer the DC over the FC.

I know Scott trimmed the introduction shot of Deckard when he is looking up in the sky at the announcement ship (because in the theatical cut there was a voice over present). That change is totally understandable and fine, but I always like how long he looked up, the camera stayed on his face and he didn't say a single word. I really liked this drawn out moment. You immediately begin to think "who is this guy?" "what is he thinking?". You are interested in this character the moment you see him. That gets lost a bit in the FC imo.

Also when Deckard asks Abdul Ben Hassan about Taffy Lewis, I like how in every other version it cuts straight to the bar. In the FC we see Deckard walking around asking where to find this bar and some chicks dancing while wearing hockey masks.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #1909
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
I didn't really like that change as well. This is one instance where I prefer the DC over the FC.

I know Scott trimmed the introduction shot of Deckard when he is looking up in the sky at the announcement ship (because in the theatical cut there was a voice over present). That change is totally understandable and fine, but I always like how long he looked up, the camera stayed on his face and he didn't say a single word. I really liked this drawn out moment. You immediately begin to think "who is this guy?" "what is he thinking?". You are interested in this character the moment you see him. That gets lost a bit in the FC imo.

Also when Deckard asks Abdul Ben Hassan about Taffy Lewis, I like how in every other version it cuts straight to the bar. In the FC we see Deckard walking around asking where to find this bar and some chicks dancing while wearing hockey masks.
I have no problem with this part, but I do agree about when Deckard is looking up at the ship.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #1910
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know there were that many audio changes. I like the father line a lot, and the others are positives for me too I think.

I'm usually opposed to film revisionism, but the Final Cut of Blade Runner is one case where I think they did it right. No big changes, no new effects, just cleaning it up and fixing some stuff. I adore it. However I totally get preferring the older cuts. It's a great thing they're all included.
Definitely agree about all of the cuts being included. That's how it should always be with films that have multiple cuts.

And I'm not big on film revisionism myself, but I love the Final Cut. Largely because it's so much closer to Scott's original vision that it doesn't feel so much like revisionism, as a return to that vision. It's very similar to the Workprint. So much so that it's easy to believe that, left to his own devices in 1982, Scott might have turned in a version that was essentially the Final Cut. I don't have much problem with the digital fixes, either, as they're mostly quite subtle and, by and large, correct problems that came about due to a lack of time and/or extra money. I like that they left some of the famous "mistakes" intact.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America