Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.59
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.98
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate 'The Counselor' (Only After You've Seen It)
One Star 6 11.54%
Two Stars 11 21.15%
Three Stars 10 19.23%
Four Stars 13 25.00%
Five Stars 12 23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #281
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
You'll come around
I'll probably see it 30 times...

..but I don't think I can come around to not being bored to tears by it...
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #282
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
I'll probably see it 30 times...

..but I don't think I can come around to not being bored to tears by it...
I definitely don't love Gina the way you love Fassbender.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #283
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010

My favorite track

Favorite Actors/Actresses:
Christian Bale
Emma Stone
Michael Fassbender
Jessica Chastain
Chris Hemsworth
Eva Green
Taylor Lautner
Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #284
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Ridley Scott's new film, The Counselor, is not my favorite movie of 2013, but I am pleased to see that intelligent neo noir cinema is still alive and well. The film noir genre has always excelled at acquainting us with beautiful people who delve into the darkest corners of the human psyche, and no other recent film has explored these depths with such resigned fatalism. I am well-read with respect to this film's screenwriter, Cormac McCarthy, so I knew what I was getting into, but prospective viewers can be forewarned that The Counselor is not so much a thriller as it is a death march.

Cormac McCarthy, whose novels all have a place on my shelf with their well-worn spines, enhances his bleak prose with an Old Testament gravitas for formidable effect, but he also has an ability to convey the details of workmanship and process with stunning clarity. In McCarthy's stories, evil is a remnant of the primordial world that continues to manifest itself through human atrocities that are described with detached stoicism, as though the narrator were viewing bacteria through a microscope lens. The brutality in The Counselor is not an affront to the civilized world, but rather a ubiquitous trait inherent in the biology of creatures since the fall of Eden. The rugged personalities of The Counselor have smartphones and sports cars instead of the horses and campfires of the scalpers in McCarthy's novel, Blood Meridian, but they all ultimately become one with physical landscapes that were themselves created by centuries of violence at the hands of weather and erosion.

One may not readily sympathize with Michael Fassbender's title character, because it is rather difficult to identify with people in this day and age who voluntarily participate in the drug trade thinking that it will end well for them, but Ridley Scott's camerawork, which is uncannily claustrophobic even considering the vast settings of wide open spaces, and the film's icily effective music score demand our attention as we watch the center fail to hold in the Counselor's world. Cameron Diaz, who has always drawn mixed reactions from me with her past roles, is surprisingly chilling in this film with a character that combines classic femme fatale archetypes with a Lady Macbeth mindset.

I give this one four stars.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 11-19-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #285
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
I definitely don't love Gina the way you love Fassbender.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #286
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

One more thing...

[Show spoiler]During my childhood in rural Georgia, all of us kids in the neighborhood would race our bikes on this awesome downhill trail that descended the forest area behind my subdivision street. My friends and I always used to joke about what would happen if we tied a clothesline between two trees on either side of the fastest section of the trail, and we even tied a thick green clothesline there once just to scare some older kids away who occasionally took over the trail with their loud motorcycles.

Now that I've seen The Counselor, I feel somewhat ashamed at all of my jokes about the stretched clothesline taking out people off their bikes back then. Seeing something like that depicted in a film reminds me that it's not a pleasant way to treat others.

It was a great sequence, though.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #287
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
I'm really surprised by the reactions I'm reading...I'd never have expected this many people to praise it on here.
Me too.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #288
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
I'm really surprised by the reactions I'm reading...I'd never have expected this many people to praise it on here.
I'm curious now if I see a film the rest of the year as thoroughly entertaining as it. I have my doubts.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #289
Special Member

Jun 2010

I actually liked Killing Them Softly. The ending was so hilarious it made the entire movie worth watching.
[Show spoiler]"Now pay me!"
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 11-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #290
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

The Counselor is still weighing on my head the next day.

I liked this movie a lot, and even moreso now that I've marinated on it for a while.

You do not have to be an enthusiastic Cormac McCarthy fan to dig this, but it helps.

Cormac McCarthy's 1985 novel, Blood Meridian, is one of the bleakest books ever published. The story follows a group of scalp-hunters that roamed the U.S./Mexican border areas during the mid-1800s massacring Native Americans and others, and it's inspired by true events from that era. Judge Holden, the leader of the outfit, is a terrifying symbolic representation of mankind's inherent violence, but his philosophizing about the hopelessness of man's future is scarier than his actions. It's a crazy read. Just when I thought that the novel could not get any darker, it would spiral down into blacker depths.

The Counselor has the same vibe, except that it replaces the mid-1800s U.S./Mexican border violence with the currently-relevant drug wars in roughly the same area, around Juarez. Drugs are the new currency, instead of scalps, but the sport involves the same body counts and indiscriminate murder. The advice of a resigned native telling the Counselor about how the killers murder first and then turn on the street lamp says it all. The identity of the victim is of no consequence. Cameron Diaz plays a femme fatale version of Judge Holden, to some extent, and the results are surprisingly commendable.

The speech given to Fassbender by Ruben Blades is so perfectly sinister.

This is a fascinating film, but it's not a cheery film. Drugs suck.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #291
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
The advice of a resigned native telling the Counselor about how the killers murder first and then turn on the street lamp says it all. The identity of the victim is of no consequence.

Definitely my favourite two moments of the film. A lot of the more philosophiocal musing-type dialogue I appreciated more than enjoyed (or thought completely worked) but those two were spot-on. Blades' conversation especially was the highlight of both the film and its themes.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #292
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
The Counselor is still weighing on my head the next day.

I liked this movie a lot, and even moreso now that I've marinated on it for a while.

You do not have to be an enthusiastic Cormac McCarthy fan to dig this, but it helps.

Cormac McCarthy's 1985 novel, Blood Meridian, is one of the bleakest books ever published. The story follows a group of scalp-hunters that roamed the U.S./Mexican border areas during the mid-1800s massacring Native Americans and others, and it's inspired by true events from that era. Judge Holden, the leader of the outfit, is a terrifying symbolic representation of mankind's inherent violence, but his philosophizing about the hopelessness of man's future is scarier than his actions. It's a crazy read. Just when I thought that the novel could not get any darker, it would spiral down into blacker depths.

The Counselor has the same vibe, except that it replaces the mid-1800s U.S./Mexican border violence with the currently-relevant drug wars in roughly the same area, around Juarez. Drugs are the new currency, instead of scalps, but the sport involves the same body counts and indiscriminate murder. The advice of a resigned native telling the Counselor about how the killers murder first and then turn on the street lamp says it all. The identity of the victim is of no consequence. Cameron Diaz plays a femme fatale version of Judge Holden, to some extent, and the results are surprisingly commendable.

This is a fascinating film, but it's not a cheery film. Drugs suck.
That book sounds like something I need to buy. I've only read one of his books.

Last edited by LegacyCosts; 11-19-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #293
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

I have not seen the film yet but I read the screenplay a few day ago. Don't know how closely the film follows the screenplay but it was an interesting read.
Some of it was good, some was kinda silly and some of it kinda seemed misogynistic but I hope the film is at least a little more satisfying than the screenplay.
One thing for sure I cannot imagine Diaz playing the role of Malkina as written. I like her ok and all but she just seems wrong for that part.
Buy/Sale/Trade
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=13688
New UV codes for sale or trade :Have:Walking WIth Dinosaurs UV/Anchorman 2/ wolf of wall street / Nebraska/ Mandela/ Homefront UV/ Oldboy SD UV from DVD/ Gravity/Riddick/DIANA (vudu)/Machete 2/
Want:BadAss 2 UV/ Great Expectations UV/ Far and away uv

Last edited by chris_sc77; 01-05-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #294
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

Yeah this was without any doubt not that great.
Ridley did his best with the material he had to work with but there are so many bad scenes with eye rolling dialogue. I knew what I was in for as I read the script last month but still this was not a profound or important film as much as it was trying to be. .

Strangely I found the dialogue better in the screenplay compared to how it was performed in the film. The last act worked ok in the film in just wish the first 90 minutes (I watched the extended version) were more interesting .

It's kind of a chore to get through and I can't imagine it will have replay value.
The critics were definitely right about this one.

2.5/5 stars
5/10
Buy/Sale/Trade
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=13688
New UV codes for sale or trade :Have:Walking WIth Dinosaurs UV/Anchorman 2/ wolf of wall street / Nebraska/ Mandela/ Homefront UV/ Oldboy SD UV from DVD/ Gravity/Riddick/DIANA (vudu)/Machete 2/
Want:BadAss 2 UV/ Great Expectations UV/ Far and away uv
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies