Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.59
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.98
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #121
Power Member

Jun 2007
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Yeah, the DI was done where my friend works. I'm guessing it was upscaled. It has a rather soft look to it, but the Alexa's 2.8K image beats Red's 4K image.

I've spent some time with a Red Epic and wasn't impressed at all. You have to pretty much capture at 5K for the image to look near as good as an Alexa's. When you make a 2K master out of it, Alexa still wins because of how clean the image is captured. The Red is just noisy. I'd rather shoot with an Alex if I had the choice, but the price of the camera makes it untouchable for indie films.

http://www.arri.com/news/skyfall-the-biggest-bond-yet/
Was it really upscaled or was it just the 2.8K image on a 4K frame?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #122

Jun 2011
Womelsdorf, PA

All the movies I always wanted to get, because I held out till they made a format capable of displaying movies at or near 35mm film.

Most movies I have downloaded or streamed. I only bought few of my most wanted movies, rare or movies that are hard to come by, even on blu-ray but I always knew a better format would eventually come out so I held off any future purchases, nothing I regret!
Thanks given by:
flyry (09-06-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #123
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

Indiana jones trilogy
the fly - remake
the thing - remake
alien
aliens
predator
evil dead - remake
the dark knight
Jurrassic park
jurrassic park 2
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Metro Redux/Destiny/The Evil Within/Sunset Overdrive
Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #124
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

I would consider anything that is a serious upgrade, not necessarily just "reference" discs. But of course, I do look forward to 4K reference material.

These are what would be no brainers for me:

Star Wars: Original Trilogy
2001: A Space Odyssey
Mission Impossible (since it needs upgrade bad)
Unforgiven
Blade Runner
Goodfellas
BBC nature documentaries in 4K
Samsara/Baraka

I don't know how deep they'll delve into catalog titles, but I hope they go all out on those that they bring to the format. I don't like that blu-ray largely became a dumping ground for DVD era masters, and barebones (sometimes generically labeled) discs slapped into eco cases. I would look to upgrade any of those travesties onto 4K format, especially where the film deserved much better.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #125

Sep 2011
Pittsburgh

Unless there is there is some content on the 4K disc that is specific to that disc outside of picture quality I will not upgrade to 4K. It is such a racket. I haven't even gotten rid of alot of the dvds I double dipped on.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #126
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderal View Post
Unless there is there is some content on the 4K disc that is specific to that disc outside of picture quality I will not upgrade to 4K. It is such a racket. I haven't even gotten rid of alot of the dvds I double dipped on.
That seems almost out of the question.

Most studios couldn't be bothered adding new extras at 1080p for blu-ray, often times just dumping SD content even where HD content should have been available with minimal effort (such as SD trailers, or SD deleted scenes). Do you think they are going to start conducting a bunch of new features and interviews at 4K? Is there even a point?

I don't need new materials, I just hope for the definitive release. Of course that means I want the most complete set of extras, and hopefully with the best quality available (i.e. whoever is in charge should be punched if they put an SD trailer or SD scenes on a 4K disc). But I don't think this is close to the level of importance as the PQ/AQ of the actual film.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #127
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
The Sewer

So far the only movie I have is Ghostbusters.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology