COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.96
Dragonwolf (Blu-ray)
$18.20
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.92
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #41
Special Member

Oct 2010
New England, USA

I've bought most of the pre-orders cards at either WM or BBY that included early digital releases (most recently Rise of the Guardians- and bought two Skyfall pre-orders to get the whole Craig Bond trilogy on VUDU).
Without pre-orders, I had some discounted Cinemanow credit I bought some movies with in early digital release when friends were over and wanted to watch them on the projector. Def cheaper than 6 of us going to see Man w/ Iron Fists at the movies. Ditto Argo.
Though I did recently have to upgrade my internet to handle HDX better (1080p + 5.1 sound), because I hated when I had to opt for 720p HD with no surround sound for streaming when I was watching something on the projector.

ED: Apparently Walmart has or will be having a pre-order for Life of Pi soon. I think I've got the 3D version pre-ordered, but I'm not averse to reselling the sealed copy that comes in from walmart and double dipping to get the version I want + the early digital release. Though it would be nice if Walmart would do preorders on the 3D and give an upcharge option.
Now running in 3D with the LG Cinema 3D (nominally showing 3D in 1080i per eye) 47LW6500 (up-or-down-or-side-graded from a 50" Sammy 3D Plasma) and a Benq W1080ST and a 130" screen.

Last edited by seregloth; 02-19-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #42

Oct 2007
Hollywood, CA

Though I've never bought a pre-release digital copy I've been buying digital copies more and more regularly.

I always buy from iTunes. One big reason I do so is that I like not having to store the file and just stream it on my computer or Apple TV. Pricing at times is significantly cheaper than a physical product too. I recently purchased Weekend in HD for only $8. I got The Perks of Being a Wallflower for $15 and it came with a nice selection of bonus features as well.

There are real advantages to digital purchases. I'm surprised to see so many responses in this thread that don't even consider them. Some things though I insist on the BD.
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Panasonic TC-PST60 50" (plasma)
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #43

Nov 2011
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityOatyBar View Post
Though I've never bought a pre-release digital copy I've been buying digital copies more and more regularly.

I always buy from iTunes. One big reason I do so is that I like not having to store the file and just stream it on my computer or Apple TV. Pricing at times is significantly cheaper than a physical product too. I recently purchased Weekend in HD for only $8. I got The Perks of Being a Wallflower for $15 and it came with a nice selection of bonus features as well.

There are real advantages to digital purchases. I'm surprised to see so many responses in this thread that don't even consider them. Some things though I insist on the BD.
Be careful with this. Even though they're purchased, movies tend to disappear from iCloud for whatever reason. You're really at the mercy of the studios. If you have the extra room, I recommend storing a copy just in case.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=212423
Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #44
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->85 SteelBooks™/MetalPaks--------->118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benh911f View Post
Be careful with this. Even though they're purchased, movies tend to disappear from iCloud for whatever reason. You're really at the mercy of the studios. If you have the extra room, I recommend storing a copy just in case.
This is one of the many reasons I don't rely on a website or anything server based for my movies. It is also one of the many reasons I have over 5 TBs of BDs backed up in their raw .m2ts format as well as a BD burner. I even have my children's pictures spread across a couple hard drives.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #45

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

I have purchased some Digital films before in HD, but mostly because they were not available on BD (at least domestically). Here is one recent example:

Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #46
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->85 SteelBooks™/MetalPaks--------->118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
I have purchased some Digital films before in HD, but mostly because they were not available on BD (at least domestically). Here is one recent example:

I just went with the DVD on this one since it wasn't available on BD.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #47

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I just went with the DVD on this one since it wasn't available on BD.
Yeah, I was going to do the same thing, but then I saw it on iTunes in HD, it was already available, and it wasn't too pricey.

Have you watched the film yet, Goof? I haven't yet, but am looking forward to it. I have always liked Frank Langella.

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #48
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Yeah, I was going to do the same thing, but then I saw it on iTunes in HD, it was already available, and it wasn't too pricey.

Have you watched the film yet, Goof? I haven't yet, but am looking forward to it. I have always liked Frank Langella.
Yeah, I watched it last week and enjoyed it. Some of it is kind of sappy, but Langella's excellent performance made this a 7.5/10 in my book.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #49
Power Member

Jan 2009

I bit for The Amazing Spider-Man and SkyFall.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #50
Special Member

Oct 2007

Never... I limit my streaming and downloading to TV series that I missed. If I really care about seeing a movie I'll find a cheaper option first and then decide if its worth getting on disc.
4k... really? The law of diminishing returns is fully in sight.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #51

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yeah, I watched it last week and enjoyed it. Some of it is kind of sappy, but Langella's excellent performance made this a 7.5/10 in my book.
Nice. Yeah, I was kind of anticipating it to be a little sappy. Good to hear though, I might get to it this weekend.

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

nope. I find the pricing way to high for HD stuff considering you get no bonus material usually. and I find it funny that they charge for standard def yet you can usually get both HD and SD for the same price as the HD(PlayStation store does anyways).
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #53
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Augusta, GA

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

But seriously, to each his/her own... Nothing against digital (as I have thousands of purchased mp3s and m4as), but call it nostalgia, a collector's passion, or whatever, there's something about having a library of films that just appeals to me.

I never use the digital copies that come bundled with my films, I don't use netflix, cinemanow, vudu, or any other digital video service.
My growing collection:
#1 - Juno (2/29/12) :: #100 - Easy A (4/7/12)
#200 - Simpsons Movie (4/27/12) :: #300 - North by Northwest (5/28/12)
#400 - The Corpse Bride (11/02/12) :: #500 - A Bug's Life (1/3/13)
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #54

Mar 2010
Garland, TX (Dallas, TX Suburb)

Maybe as a rental. But I would NEVER buy a digital copy. Why the f**K would I ever buy a digital copy if I can just download digital copies for free from the internet. If I want to own a Movie, I'll buy the official Blu-ray.
Living Room Set-Up:
Toshiba 40XV645U 40" 1080p 120hz LCD HDTV
Slim 160 GB PlayStation 3
Sony HT-SS360 Home Theater 5.1 System
Phillips DVP5990 DVD player
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #55

Oct 2011
Death Star

I did once BUT... it had a good reason for it and you might agree with me.
Best Buy was having a promotion for Early CinemaNow Prometheus Digital Copy. But the deal was buy the digital copy and preorder the bluray for $15 cheaper. Well the Digital Copy was $15 and that made the 3D bluray about $10 and I got to watch the movie the night of which was 3 weeks before the Blu-ray was released. Also, I was able to watch it for 31 Days of Horror Movies instead of waiting. Which is funny because the Blu-ray didn't arrive until the 5th of November.
100. The Dark Knight Rises 12/25/12
My Top Ten Favorite Movies Of All Time
1. Kill Bill 2. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 3. One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest 4. Django Unchained 5. Pulp Fiction 6. E.T. 7. The Royal Tenenbaums 8. Drive 9.Star Wars V 10. Forrest Gump
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #56

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:

That's a good point. Buying HD digital movies that aren't available on Blu-ray doesn't seem like a bad idea if the price is right. Better that than the DVD.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #57

Oct 2007
Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benh911f View Post
I'll keep that in mind but since I've been purchasing movies from iTunes (2007 or so) I haven't had a problem. Some things have left the store, but I can still stream them anyway.
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Panasonic TC-PST60 50" (plasma)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America