COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.96
Dragonwolf (Blu-ray)
$18.20
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.92
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #761

Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

To be honest I don't enjoy the Commentary tracks any more. On the old seasons I used to watch each season once through when I got it, then again with the commentary on each episode.

On the later seasons the commentary tracks just aren't very informative.

Most of the funny moments where you expect the cast to be talking about the joke, they are too busy discussing something irrelevant, like plugging a new show or book or just sharing a private joke that no-one else has any context on.

I say cut the commentary tracks and just give me the episodes and the commercials from that period, maybe an interview with some of the guests or a featurette to accompany the season. Even the deleted scenes aren't any good any more.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #762
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

I fully agree on the commentaries. They are a waste of space and if they are the hold up, I wish they'd just get rid of them.

Deleted scenes though I do love.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #763
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

I believe they are trying to stay behind intentionally to keep demand/anticipation high AND to keep increased value on syndication rights for those episodes not yet available for purchase.

Look how the prices have dropped on older released seasons... it undercuts them selling the show into syndication... but having a bunch of seasons that you can't buy, and can only watch via streaming or cable/satellite increases the amount FOX can demand for those seasons.
Coming soon to a TV near you.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #764

Aug 2010

I hate how they started doing one season a year.

If they could do at LEAST two a year, that would be awesome. I'd love it if they did an older season AND a current season.

Like this year, if they released season 25 in a few months right before 26 premieres, and then do season 17 in the winter like they've been doing, that would make me very happy

Obviously, I don't want them to just do barebones releases like season 20, so if all those extras really ARE what's holding sets back then I don't really mind. But it would be great if they could get them out faster.

Still... on one positive hand, at least the show's "golden years" (ending with season 8, IMO, but I do enjoy the rest of the seasons) are all available. I definitely watch those the most.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #765

Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

I do appreciate that they continue to provide extras for these sets, but if I'm honest I would rather they released the seasons quicker than take a year to throw a menu together and record a bit of the cast laughing over average episodes.
Season 20 on blu-ray does me fine and I won't be replacing it if/when it gets re-released.

I do like the idea of releasing a later season in the winter and a blu-ray release of a classic season in the summer. That should make the wait a lot more manageable.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #766
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

I love the commentaries, especially the early ones of the earlier episodes because there was so many of them that I didn't see as a kid and its always cool to hear the behind the scenes stuff regarding each episode. I hope that FOX keeps doing them.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #767

Jan 2011
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
I love the commentaries, especially the early ones of the earlier episodes because there was so many of them that I didn't see as a kid and its always cool to hear the behind the scenes stuff regarding each episode. I hope that FOX keeps doing them.
I like the commentaries as well. I know they can go off topic from time to time, and sometimes random people in studio may disrupt a commentary, but overall I enjoy them. Wish more shows did do full season commentary.
I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them. ― L.M. Montgomery
Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #768
Expert Member

May 2011
Boulder City, Nevada

Let's write to them and have the first seasons on BD
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #769

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenOfEarth View Post
Let's write to them and have the first seasons on BD
Why bother writing? I just called and told the rep at FoxConnect directly. I'm not sure it did any good, but at least I felt like I did something about it with my 5 minutes.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #770

Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

Just to be clear I did used to like the commentaries very much. Its one of the only audio commentaries I have ever bothered to listen to.

But the only decent ones were from the first season till around maybe season 10 or so for me. After that they seemed to loose steam and would usually amount to little more than 22 minutes of someone plugging their new work or talking about nothing to do with the Simpsons.

Recent audio commentaries on the blu-ray sets really don't seem to discuss much about the episodes at all. Its a shame as they used to talk about the origins of certain jokes but now its all about the latest guest star
Old 06-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #771

Apr 2014
Harrow, London

I wonder why they haven't used Grandpa on the cover of a season box set? Unless I've missed something..
Old 06-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #772
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel823 View Post
I like the commentaries as well. I know they can go off topic from time to time, and sometimes random people in studio may disrupt a commentary, but overall I enjoy them. Wish more shows did do full season commentary.
Yeah, I don't like that either when they go off topic but overall I am pretty pleased with what they have done with them. Some of them are actually pretty funny, when you listen to them. I too wish that more shows did that. The only season that I was disappointed in was Season 20 when they didn't have any commentary on them at all. Does anybody know why this was?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #773
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomerge View Post
I wonder why they haven't used Grandpa on the cover of a season box set? Unless I've missed something..
Yeah, that's a weird one. You'd think they'd use him before characters like Otto or Professor Frink.

No Burns or Flanders yet either...
Old 06-26-2014, 01:52 AM   #774

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
Yeah, I don't like that either when they go off topic but overall I am pretty pleased with what they have done with them. Some of them are actually pretty funny, when you listen to them. I too wish that more shows did that. The only season that I was disappointed in was Season 20 when they didn't have any commentary on them at all. Does anybody know why this was?
I'm pretty sure it was just so they could release season 20 as a quick cash-grab release. The worst was that the only "bonus feature" included was a preview for a special that had already aired the Sunday before it was released.

...I still bought it of course.. annnd I'll re-buy it when/if they do a "proper" season 20 release

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Yeah, that's a weird one. You'd think they'd use him before characters like Otto or Professor Frink.

No Burns or Flanders yet either...
Yeah I've found their choices of characters for the covers after season 10 to be a bit questionable.

Krusty I understand, because he's truly a "classic" character who's been a major player since the beginning. Comic Book Guy is an odd choice, but I guess he is very popular now. I could've done without Ralph. I don't hate the character but he's nowhere near one of my favorites. Kang/Kodos was a cool choice since they've been around since season 2. Otto was another one I liked because he is such a hysterical character and HAS also been around since the beginning. And Frink is great, but, again, there are more deserving characters.

Mr. Burns and Flanders are absolute musts and I'd be VERY surprised if they didn't use those characters at some point. I'd also love to see Chief Wiggum, Lenny (followed immediately by Carl of course), Smithers, Principal Skinner, Disco Stu (not until the more major secondary characters have had a chance though). Sideshow Bob would be amazing too, but I'm NOT counting on that happening lol.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:10 AM   #775
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

With how long this show has been on, every character will probably get a cover eventually. Squeaky Voiced Teen will probably get one soon.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
blu, fourteenth, ray, simpsons