Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Gershwins' Porgy & Bess (Blu-ray)
$29.89
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #121
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I kinda wanna see this... just to see how truly bad it is. It's getting such mixed reviews. Mostly bad, apparently.
ಠ_ಠ
Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #122
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiju View Post
I kinda wanna see this... just to see how truly bad it is. It's getting such mixed reviews. Mostly bad, apparently.
The reviews kind of drove me away. I'll still watch it on Blu though.
"F**k You, Lucky Charms."

2014 Top 10: 1) Guardians of the Galaxy 2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3) Gone Girl 4) The Raid 2 5) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 6) Boyhood 7) X-Men: Days of Future Past 8) The LEGO Movie 9) Big Bad Wolves 10) Edge of Tomorrow
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #123
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Zombie View Post
The reviews kind of drove me away. I'll still watch it on Blu though.
It surprised me. The trailer made it look pretty neat... but apparently it's just a mess of a film. I'll wait for torr-I mean Blu-ray.
ಠ_ಠ
Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #124
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Florida

Quote:
It surprised me. The trailer made it look pretty neat... but apparently it's just a mess of a film. I'll wait for torr-I mean Blu-ray.
Eh, I didn't think the trailer was that great either, but I wasn't expecting an almost negative response.
"F**k You, Lucky Charms."

2014 Top 10: 1) Guardians of the Galaxy 2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3) Gone Girl 4) The Raid 2 5) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 6) Boyhood 7) X-Men: Days of Future Past 8) The LEGO Movie 9) Big Bad Wolves 10) Edge of Tomorrow
Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #125
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Zombie View Post
Eh, I didn't think the trailer was that great either, but I wasn't expecting an almost negative response.
It definitely caught my attention. I wasn't expecting the widespread negative reactions either though.
ಠ_ಠ
Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #126
Power Member

Oct 2011

Audiences are clearly more into it than the critics. The audience % on RT is 75, so there is a wide split.

I align with the audience on this one. I thought it was a good, emotionally resonant movie with many truly great, heartfelt scenes. The performances are solid. There are some great artistic flourishes and cinematography. The fantasy scenes are weird. It has some issues. It needs a tighter, more focused script; some characters and plot lines needed more development; some scenes could have been left out. But as it stands, I enjoyed it and I'd be lying if I said it didn't get me to almost tear up a couple times. It's a nice treat in a blockbuster crowded summer that I personally haven't been a huge fan of.

4/5

Not sure why the critics are being so harsh on this film.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #127
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

Unfortunately, a lot the backlash is coming from the fact that Braff used Kickstarter for the film. The critics won't outright say it, but a lot of them have big problems with how he went about making the film, and it changed their perception before they saw it. I honestly didn't think it was a mess at all, and it resonated a lot with me. But to each their own, I suppose. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter
Old 07-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #128
Power Member

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
Unfortunately, a lot the backlash is coming from the fact that Braff used Kickstarter for the film. The critics won't outright say it, but a lot of them have big problems with how he went about making the film, and it changed their perception before they saw it. I honestly didn't think it was a mess at all, and it resonated a lot with me. But to each their own, I suppose. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.
I had a feeling that was part of it. Just skimming, the fresh reviews appear to be really fresh, so it's kind of strange that the rotten reviews dominated. I have no problem with how he raised money to make the movie, and that shouldn't affect a person's opinion of it anyway. I wasn't thinking about it at all while watching the movie.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #129
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Raleigh, NC

Kate Hudson and Mandy Patinkin are sublime and the emotional climax of the film lands well however the path taken to get there plays as a loose collection of ideas that likely seemed pleasant in the writing room but really let down the film on screen. Braff continues to be hit or miss when it comes to dialogue but he has talent as a director and an eye for the occasional striking image. The narrative center is really well worn territory for film but it's handled surprisingly well. I just wish what was supporting it wasn't so flimsy, uninteresting and often tone deaf.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 AM   #130
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Quote:
That's what it is too. Reviews wouldn't be so negative otherwise. It does NOT deserve such awful reviews.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:50 AM   #131
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
NYC

Quote:
I suspect as much. They're just as petty and hold grudges like fanboys. Only they're in a position of influence which makes it worse. Good thing they're a dying breed. A lot of film critics have become as lazy as video game journalists. They like one type of movie, the long shot drama that they can use their copy and paste review for. They turn off their brain when they have to analyze something out of their comfort zone.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 AM   #132
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
I suspect as much. They're just as petty and hold grudges like fanboys. Only they're in a position of influence which makes it worse. Good thing they're a dying breed. A lot of film critics have become as lazy as video game journalists. They like one type of movie, the long shot drama that they can use their copy and paste review for. They turn off their brain when they have to analyze something out of their comfort zone.
ahhh, you mean like the rest of the user base... I always love the critic bashing (and actually no, critics aren't dying, there are more paid film critics now than any time in history)

as for the movie. it actually WAS a giant mess. it was truly a chore to sit through

Last edited by wormraper; 07-29-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 AM   #133
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Hawaii

You pretty much get the whole story from the trailer. It was predictable and very sentimental, but I thought the performances were good. I really hadn't been paying attention to the reviews.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:29 AM   #134

Nov 2011

Quote:
If you're a film critic or watch movies with the mindset of a critic, then you probably won't enjoy this movie. If you're just looking for a 2 hour escape, then this is a pretty enjoyable movie.

Garden State is one of my all-time favorites, but I think it was due more to the timing of it. It came out while I was in college and I identified with the themes that Braff presented in that movie. Watching Garden State now doesn't have quite the impact it did back then. I feel the same way with Wish I Was Here. Braff's character in this movie is much the same as his character in Garden State. And once again I identified with the character.

I laughed. I teared up. I had a great time watching this movie. Is the screenplay as jumbled as people are saying? Yes, it's not the most focused. Does the film deliver some great moments, in spite of that? Yes, it does. And Mandy Patinkin's performance alone should at least earn the film a fair shake.

I can't wait to watch this again on bluray. 8/10 stars
Looking for slipcovers: Breakfast at Tiffany's
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies