Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old Today, 03:35 PM   #241
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
I don't understand.
That person involved, defended the Bluray?
So, Coppola, used some effects (the text imposed on some scenes), so as not to be seen in the final print?

I saw the film twice at the cinema, and I remember the text effects. They had made a huge impression to me.
And in no way they were like the Bluray, where you can see NOTHING of them!
You *CAN* see those text effects on the blu-ray. It's just far more subtle, but at my standard settings they were still visible (not "clearly" visible, but visible). When I saw the comparison shots, I raised the brightness and could see them relatively clearly - however there is a difference in brightness/contrast

It probably is too dark overall. However other than that particular scene, I never thought to myself something was terribly wrong with the overall transfer.

Maybe Sony will eventually commission a new 4K transfer and give it to Twilight Time, or use it for the new 4K format. Those are probably the only hopes you have of getting a remaster.
Old Today, 04:02 PM   #242
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Well, at some point there is going to be a 4K release of this film whether on 4K blu, streaming, downloading, etc.

So, that will require a new scanning of elements; the question is, are they just going to re-scan existing elements (Interpositive) that were used for the current disc but at 4K (as seems to be what MGM has been doing as happened to RoboCop, Rocky, Rain Man which all look better than the original versions, but not earth-shatteringly so), OR do they go back to the original negative as happened with the most of the classic Universal monster movies and a number of other titles that will look largely improved? Time and money will tell.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 108" wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old Today, 04:58 PM   #243
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebuff75 View Post
Does anyone have a screenshot of the original subtitles? They were redone for this release.
That's my biggest objection to this BD. Not the changed colors and brightness, but the loss of those gorgeous subtitles in the opening sequence, in that period font. They're an important part of the artistic effect of the sequence, and those hideous player-generated subs ruin the scene for me.

I can't find any clips online, they all seem to be sourced from the BD, but I did find this GIF:
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...31-500-280.gif

Last edited by James Luckard; Today at 05:07 PM.
Old Today, 08:06 PM   #244

Mar 2013
Capua

Has this film ever been release with a score only track? It's such a beautiful and haunting score that I'm listening to right now. 3 different themes that all work as compliments to each other as well as fit the period and mood so perfectly. Definitely tied for best score of a Coppola film (with Apocalypse Now).
Old Today, 08:10 PM   #245
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentulus Batiatus View Post
Has this film ever been release with a score only track? It's such a beautiful and haunting score that I'm listening to right now. 3 different themes that all work as compliments to each other as well as fit the period and mood so perfectly. Definitely tied for best score of a Coppola film (with Apocalypse Now).

Criterion laserdisc has a music and effects track. You might be able to find a torrent of it (and the commentary, and a second disc of the rest of the laserdisc extras) for dvd-r. I did, but it was years ago.
Old Today, 09:15 PM   #246
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Well, at some point there is going to be a 4K release of this film whether on 4K blu, streaming, downloading, etc.

So, that will require a new scanning of elements; the question is, are they just going to re-scan existing elements (Interpositive) that were used for the current disc but at 4K (as seems to be what MGM has been doing as happened to RoboCop, Rocky, Rain Man which all look better than the original versions, but not earth-shatteringly so), OR do they go back to the original negative as happened with the most of the classic Universal monster movies and a number of other titles that will look largely improved? Time and money will tell.
People seem to think a 4k scan is always this magical thing that makes a movie look like it was shot yesterday. It really depends on the movie. Dracula was done to match the guideline print and supervised by Coppola, it looks how he wants it to look. A 4k remaster might show a bit more grain and detail, but the movie will still look dark and soft, because it's supposed to.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America