Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$7.99
18 hrs ago
Captain Phillips (Blu-ray)
$5.99
12 hrs ago
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$7.99
10 hrs ago
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Blu-ray)
$3.99
11 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie (Blu-ray)
$8.99
17 hrs ago
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.96
1 hr ago
The Bourne Identity (Blu-ray)
$6.96
1 hr ago
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$3.99
22 hrs ago
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The King's Speech (Blu-ray)
$3.99
18 hrs ago
Fast Five (Blu-ray)
$6.96
48 min ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Noah (Blu-ray)
$9.00
3 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Default Glasses for a Sharp LC60LE847U?

I just purchased an LC-60LE847U from Sears and foolishly didn't ask if it included 3D glasses. According to cnet the Sharp AN-3DG20-B glasses are my only option. Is this so or are there other (cheaper and/or better) options available to me with this TV?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Got my answer over at AVS Forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-AN3DG20B.../dp/B005JABSB6

The above might be at end of life status. Usually, glasses are not bundled with sets sold at Sears.

Replacement for the G20 - They are slightly smaller and cheaper than the 20 series. Not an issue if you don't wear glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-AN3DG30-.../dp/B009LDVUS8
Sharp's official website was worthless for finding out such information.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-25-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #3

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Got my answer over at AVS Forum:

Sharp's official website was worthless for finding out such information.
Hello, I just wanted to ask you about the 3D performance on sharp's LED s .. are there any issues? Crosstalk, ghosting? Thankyou..
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100

Last edited by banibale; 03-01-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
Hello, I just wanted to ask you about the 3D performance on sharp's LED s .. are there any issues? Crosstalk, ghosting? Thankyou..
My glasses haven't arrived yet. Hopefully they'll be here today or tommorow. I'll let you know my experience with this set's 3D capability as soon as they arrive.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #5

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
My glasses haven't arrived yet. Hopefully they'll be here today or tommorow. I'll let you know my experience with this set's 3D capability as soon as they arrive.
Thanks men!!! I'll be greatful. Im About to pull the trigger on the sharp 80" LED 44u
I was amazed by its 2D picture but I couldn't demo the 3D . Please let me know, thanks
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Glasses arrived today but I wasn't home and they didn't leave it with my neighbor. I'm gonna have to wait 'til tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #7

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
Glasses arrived today but I wasn't home and they didn't leave it with my neighbor. I'm gonna have to wait 'til tomorrow.
I hope you get them tomorrow... good luck
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
I hope you get them tomorrow... good luck
Turns out USPS did leave them with my neighbor.

The first disk I popped in was Prometheus. 3D was fantastic from the get-go. However, I did notice some faint ghosting. I dunno about crosstalk since I always assumed that was the technical term for ghosting (double images, right?). WHatever the proper term may be, it was there but only noticeable when I looked for it.

Then I tried playing Uncharted 3 (mainly the final level). Although the 3D was readilly apparent, this game played like a stress test for the TV. Lots of double images and very hard to ignore in spite of the deep 3D effect which was otherwise very good. Fiddling with the menu options, I looked into a 3D Setup sub menu found under System Option. In said sub menu was an option called 3D Depth Control. It was set to manual. Below that was an option labeled 3D Depth Change. I failed to take note as to where the slider was set (it goes from -10 tpo +10) but I assume it was set at 0. Instead, I set the 3D Depth Control to auto. Wouldn't you know it, the double images (which I assume are what people reffer to as "ghosting") disappeared from Uncharted 3 while the game retained it's glorious 3D depth.

Then I tried my copy of My Bloody Valentine. I've read how this and Hugo (which I've yet to try) are the stress tests for active TV's. Well, all I really got was faint Ghosting and lovely 3D (and a fun bit of popout with the eyeball gag).

So, yeah, I'm happy with my purchase.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #9

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
Turns out USPS did leave them with my neighbor.

The first disk I popped in was Prometheus. 3D was fantastic from the get-go. However, I did notice some faint ghosting. I dunno about crosstalk since I always assumed that was the technical term for ghosting (double images, right?). WHatever the proper term may be, it was there but only noticeable when I looked for it.

Then I tried playing Uncharted 3 (mainly the final level). Although the 3D was readilly apparent, this game played like a stress test for the TV. Lots of double images and very hard to ignore in spite of the deep 3D effect which was otherwise very good. Fiddling with the menu options, I looked into a 3D Setup sub menu found under System Option. In said sub menu was an option called 3D Depth Control. It was set to manual. Below that was an option labeled 3D Depth Change. I failed to take note as to where the slider was set (it goes from -10 tpo +10) but I assume it was set at 0. Instead, I set the 3D Depth Control to auto. Wouldn't you know it, the double images (which I assume are what people reffer to as "ghosting") disappeared from Uncharted 3 while the game retained it's glorious 3D depth.

Then I tried my copy of My Bloody Valentine. I've read how this and Hugo (which I've yet to try) are the stress tests for active TV's. Well, all I really got was faint Ghosting and lovely 3D (and a fun bit of popout with the eyeball gag).

So, yeah, I'm happy with my purchase.
Thankyou for taking time to answer my questions and help me.... in scale from 1 to 10 how bad is the faint ghosting?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Thankyou for taking time to answer my questions and help me.... in scale from 1 to 10 how bad is the faint ghosting?
1 being "next to nothing" and 10 being "oh my eyes!"? I'd give it a 1 overall (but a 1.5 when dealing movies like My Bloody Valentine, and a 4 when dealing with some player generated subtitles, like when I engaged the captions of Silent Hill Revelation), once the Depth Control is set to Auto. As I said, for the most part I had to actively look for the ghosting. It's pretty easy to ignore.

That said, my favourite 3D BD, Tangled, is also the most problematic. But the problem lies in the disk itself. Whoever rendered the 3D version didn't render a whole 1920 image for each eye. Instead, one eye has a vertical bar (which increases and decreases in thickness constantly) to the left of the image and the other eye has a similar bar to the right of the image. When watching the movie in 3D this creates a distracting double image pillar box of sorts. It can be ignored but it's constantly in your peripheral vision and it becomes irritating in what is otherwise an amazing 3D animated movie.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-02-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #11

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
1 being "next to nothing" and 10 being "oh my eyes!"? I'd give it a 1 overall (but a 1.5 when dealing movies like My Bloody Valentine, and a 4 when dealing with some player generated subtitles, like when I engaged the captions of Silent Hill Revelation), once the Depth Control is set to Auto. As I said, for the most part I had to actively look for the ghosting. It's pretty easy to ignore.

That said, my favourite 3D BD, Tangled, is also the most problematic. But the problem lies in the disk itself. Whoever rendered the 3D version didn't render a whole 1920 image for each eye. Instead, one eye has a vertical bar (which increases and decreases in thickness constantly) to the left of the image and the other eye has a similar bar to the right of the image. When watching the movie in 3D this creates a distracting double image pillar box of sorts. It can be ignored but it's constantly in your peripheral vision and it becomes irritating in what is otherwise an amazing 3D animated movie.
Thanks a lot, good to know you're happy with your tv set enjoy it.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Thanks a lot, good to know you're happy with your tv set enjoy it.
No problem. It was a great excuse to try out all the different 3D discs I have.

I see you got yourself a LG 65" LW6500. How's that one? Is it a passive LCD or active plasma? I've read passive LCD sets have zero crosstalk.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #13

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
No problem. It was a great excuse to try out all the different 3D discs I have.

I see you got yourself a LG 65" LW6500. How's that one? Is it a passive LCD or active plasma? I've read passive LCD sets have zero crosstalk.
My LG is a passive LED, I have no complaints but I want to go bigger and sharp makes good affordable big tv, and samsung's 75" is over price .. somebody just told me that sony is coming with a 70" passive tv .. im not sure what to do now
Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
My LG is a passive LED, I have no complaints but I want to go bigger and sharp makes good affordable big tv, and samsung's 75" is over price .. somebody just told me that sony is coming with a 70" passive tv .. im not sure what to do now
Well, if you go active, give the Xpand 104 glasses a try. But go for the Large model. I made the mistake of going for the Medium one and I regret it. They fit a tad snug but the real problem is that the ear pieces are tapered. The Large ones don't have tapered ear pieces.

Amazon mixed up the pictures so I was caught unawares. I wonder if I should write them about their mistake.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays