Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
3 hrs ago
The Foreigner (Blu-ray)
$10.99
3 hrs ago
Atomic Blonde (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
The Avengers 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.22
14 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Darkest Hour (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
I, Tonya (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Den of Thieves (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.13
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz
Default The Captive - March 3, 2015

The Captive Blu-ray
The Captive Pre-order

Quote:
Lionsgate Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release on Blu-ray acclaimed director Atom Egoyan's thriller The Captive (2014), starring Ryan Reynolds, Scott Speedman, and Rosario Dawson. The release will be available for purchase on March 3, 2015.

Synopsis: Eight years after the disappearance of Cassandra, some disturbing incidents seem to indicate that she is still alive. Her parents and detectives, and Cassandra herself, will try to unravel the mystery of her disappearance.

Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Atom Egoyan
  • "Captive Thoughts" featurette
  • Alternate Ending
  • Deleted Scenes
Last Watched: Woman of the Year
Last Bought: Happy Death Day
PSN ID and Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 03-06-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Austin, TX

Was interested in seeing this, so I checked out the site review and had to stop reading because (once again) Jeffrey Kauffman includes unnecessary spoilers.

It's now to the point where I'm just going to have to check the author of every site review before I read it, to be sure that it's not one of his. Been burned one time too many.

That being said, this looks kind of interesting. I might blind buy when it gets below $10.
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."

"Go, now. Go."
Old 03-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danchez View Post
Was interested in seeing this, so I checked out the site review and had to stop reading because (once again) Jeffrey Kauffman includes unnecessary spoilers.

It's now to the point where I'm just going to have to check the author of every site review before I read it, to be sure that it's not one of his. Been burned one time too many.

That being said, this looks kind of interesting. I might blind buy when it gets below $10.
Do yourself a favor and read PQ, AQ, and extras only. I have done this for years and it proves to be much better.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection
Thanks given by:
Danchez (03-07-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 10:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray reviewer

Aug 2009
-

Really curious what Danchez feels is a spoiler in my review--just reread it, as well as taking a look at our own theatrical review and others online, and I actually detail much less about the plot than some of these other online resources. We have to talk about plot points in the review, and I'm always surprised when some people seem to think any discussion of the plot constitutes a spoiler. The
for the film reveals much more than my review, frankly.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

What a weird movie. The bizarre narrative structure makes this feel needlessly jumbled. No wonder this wasn't given a proper theatrical release despite a strong cast. It's not all bad. It does look nice, which is no surprise as most Egoyan films do. It's not really boring. Performances are good. It's just put together in a rather off-putting way and the end feels tacked on.

6/10 (C+)
Old 03-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
Special Member

Nov 2010
IOW(BL)A(H)

This one is included with Amazon Prime Instant Video streaming. I think it's been there for 6 weeks or so. If you have Prime, that's a great way to check this out first.
"Who is Guy..Meatdrapes? What kinda' name is that?" "Um..it's um..Medrapades sir, it's uh, it's Greek." "Well I think you're pronouncing it wrong. This says Meatdrapes." "It's actually pronounced, um, Medrapades." "Well why doesn't it sound like that when I say it? Meatdrapes."
Old 04-15-2015, 12:34 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
California!

I blind bought this and the trailer looked pretty good, but the film was actually pretty disappointing.
If I had a choice to watch this or Son of a Gun, I'd pick Son a Gun (another a24 film)
Best Film of 2015: Weepah Way for Now
Old 06-23-2016, 02:19 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton

Watched The Captive from our library & was not my'cup of tea'.
"In the dead of night, when the moon is high, and the ill winds blow, and the banshees cry, and the moonlight casts an unearthly glow...arise my love, with tales of woe!"
Jesus of Nazareth Hang'em High Wallander A Touch of Frost The Outlaw Josey Wales Dark Shadows Nightmare Theater The Big Valley...Olafur A Bad Co Stryper ABB L... Skynyrd Petra...
"LOVE is my motive""WAY""Perhaps Today" "For many are called,but few are chosen"
"payday someday"
Tigers 50-73
Old 08-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Saw AG's The Captive on Blu recently. Extremely creepy, atmospheric, and gripping film.

Seeing this film really brought to mind some of the news stories you hear about re: a child being abducted & held against their will for years, only to be sometimes finally found years later.

The winter cold/snow setting was excellent, and may as well have been another character in the film. This setting emphasized the emotional desolation of the characters' who had their child abducted years before - or, at least that's how I interpreted this.

Great acting on everyone's part, especially RD, RR, and S.Speedman.

I am slowly becoming an AG fan this year, after only having seen Where the Truth Lies years ago (which is a great film, but that's another thread).

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-23-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America