COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$59.96
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Lilo & Stitch / Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (Blu-ray)
$16.09
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sorcerer (Blu-ray)
$19.59
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Fantasista Doll: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
The Party (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #181

Mar 2013
Montréal, Canada
Send a message via MSN to apilon49
Default ep-4000 gain knob

Good evening all

quick questions i bridge the ep4000 to use with my diy sub. Should i turn the gain knob all the up or should i use a spl meter and adjust the gain to 75db??

Also would that apply to other amp like qsc , ect

Alain
Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #182
Special Member

Oct 2009
Canada

the gain knobs on those amps are not really a "volume" Turn them all the way up and adjust your sub to 75db by using the sub level in ur AVR. I run my pro amps just slightly less than max so there is no hiss in the speakers.

Which DIY sub are you using? Just wondering why you need all that power
Home Theater
Onkyo - Crown - Behringer - DVDO - Epson - Paradigm - Oppo - Quad 18" Sealed Subs

2 Channel
Anthem - Monitor Audio

Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous
Old 10-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #183

Mar 2013
Montréal, Canada
Send a message via MSN to apilon49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAWD View Post
the gain knobs on those amps are not really a "volume" Turn them all the way up and adjust your sub to 75db by using the sub level in ur AVR. I run my pro amps just slightly less than max so there is no hiss in the speakers.

Which DIY sub are you using? Just wondering why you need all that power
Good morning

Thanks i had heard different advice regarding the gain knob one suggested that i disconnect the main speakers turn the avr volume to max and turn the gain knob until the amp clip then tuen it back to the point where it barely clip and that is where it should stay

I build a 3.3 cubic feet sub with a TC Sound 15 inches sub lms-r15
Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #184

Nov 2011
northwest

I bought a EPX2000 I am going to use the RCA inputs from my receiver. The receiver only has one RCA out. To use the amp in stereo mode can I just use a splitter and plug into both RCA plugs in the back of the amp? Also looks like I would need to run the xover full bore.
-QX-
Old 12-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #185

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by qx56 View Post
I bought a EPX2000 I am going to use the RCA inputs from my receiver. The receiver only has one RCA out. To use the amp in stereo mode can I just use a splitter and plug into both RCA plugs in the back of the amp? Also looks like I would need to run the xover full bore.
So from this I assume you're going to be using it to power 2 different subs? If that's the case then yes, a splitter will do the job. Again, assuming this is the case and bass management is done via your receiver then yes, turning the xover all the way up (or off if there's an option for that) would be best.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer
Old 12-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #186

Nov 2011
northwest

Yes. Running 2 4ohms off of each channel

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk
-QX-
Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #187

Nov 2011
northwest

If I am running subs with the epx2000. What setting should the limiter switch be set to? Im a little un clear what affect this switch has.
-QX-
Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #188

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by qx56 View Post
If I am running subs with the epx2000. What setting should the limiter switch be set to? Im a little un clear what affect this switch has.
From the manual:

Quote:
The Clip Limiter lets you get even more out of
the amplifier without over-driving either it or your
speaker system. Built-in circuitry automatically senses
when the amp is being overdriven into “clipping”
and then momentarily reduces the input level to
avoid clipping distortion
Appears to just enable or disable to clip limiting circuit. From that I would probably run it with it on unless you never really crank it up (reference or above I would guess).
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer
Old 12-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #189

Apr 2008
under a rock

I purchased a direct box for my Crown amp. I'm confused as to what the gain on my Crown amp should be at and also what the gain on the direct box should be at? I have a Crown XLS1500 and an ART CleanBox Pro. TIA!
TV - Elite PRO-70X5FD | BD Player - Oppo BDP-103 | Streaming Media Player - Roku 3
Console - PlayStation 4 | Console - XBox One | Console - PlayStation 3 60GB | Console - XBox 360 Elite
Remote - Harmony One | Receiver - Denon AVR-X4000 | Amplifier - Emotiva XPA-5 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H
Fronts - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers | Center - Aperion Audio Verus Grand | Surrounds - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelves
Old 12-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #190

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian42677 View Post
I purchased a direct box for my Crown amp. I'm confused as to what the gain on my Crown amp should be at and also what the gain on the direct box should be at? I have a Crown XLS1500 and an ART CleanBox Pro. TIA!
The easiest way for me to do it was to turn the gain on the cleanbox all the way up, then slowly turn the gain up on the amp until you can hear distortion (sounds like static). Then turn it down a couple notches until you can't hear it. This should give you the cleanest signal with the most possible gain. If the distortion/static becomes audible before you mess with the amp gain, then turn the cleanbox gain down until you can't hear it, and try turning the amp gain up until you can again, then adjust back down from there. It's all about finding a good balance.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #191

Apr 2008
under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
The easiest way for me to do it was to turn the gain on the cleanbox all the way up, then slowly turn the gain up on the amp until you can hear distortion (sounds like static). Then turn it down a couple notches until you can't hear it. This should give you the cleanest signal with the most possible gain. If the distortion/static becomes audible before you mess with the amp gain, then turn the cleanbox gain down until you can't hear it, and try turning the amp gain up until you can again, then adjust back down from there. It's all about finding a good balance.
Thank you!
TV - Elite PRO-70X5FD | BD Player - Oppo BDP-103 | Streaming Media Player - Roku 3
Console - PlayStation 4 | Console - XBox One | Console - PlayStation 3 60GB | Console - XBox 360 Elite
Remote - Harmony One | Receiver - Denon AVR-X4000 | Amplifier - Emotiva XPA-5 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H
Fronts - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers | Center - Aperion Audio Verus Grand | Surrounds - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelves
Old 01-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #192

Nov 2011
northwest

Anyone do the fan mod on the EXP amp yet. I am going to have to. Found some info but wanted to see if anyone here has first hand experience.
-QX-
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #193
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Caleefoahniuhh (as our old govunah would say)

Ok, so I was about to run out to my local Guitar Center this morning and buy a Crown XLS1500 to replace the dead amp in my (surprise) MFW-15. But then I notice the specs:

Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz

And then I find this thread, with a quote from post #7:

Good power amp that can deliver lots of power at low frequencies (ie below 20Hz)

Quote:
Quote from Post #7
verified my findings with crown tech support. The XLS is rated 20-20K response. Below 20, it has a 12db / octave roll off I guess as a make shift subsonic or just to conserve power or something. I knew I felt a few db less weight LOL.
Huh? The Behringer iNUKE 3000 specs out similarly, which was also on my list. I'm not opposed to using a proamp, and I've seen the Crown XLS and Behringer iNUKE recommended online numerous times. But before I buy, should I be concerned about attenuation below 20Hz being that the MFW is known for it's low frequency capabilities?

I'm otherwise ready to do the anti-Big Daddy and buy a Bash 500W PLATE amp.
Defeat of deduct must go over defense before detail does.

Last edited by red_5ive; 01-28-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:06 AM   #194
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Caleefoahniuhh (as our old govunah would say)

^^
Alright, since everyone was so eager to respond to my post , I just got back with a Crown XLS1500.

Still 8pm on the west coast... so I'm gonna hook it up and run some test tones. Hopefully I'll be doing this in the next hour .
Defeat of deduct must go over defense before detail does.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #195

Apr 2012
Quebec, Canada
Default QSC powered audio system

it has taken me a few years, but i finally consider my AV system complete, after i recently bought another amplifier.

i now use a total of 3 QSC amps to power 6 channels (no Center),
and i must say the whole thing is "superlative", giving me a reproduction quality that i never expected and is way better than i could have imagined before.

everything is just loafing along playing even the most difficult passages in
WOTW or Super 8 or Cameron Carpenter's Revolutionary on SACD.

you can see and read more info here:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...p?member=Gelli
Please leave your comments...
My room-my equipment:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...p?member=Gelli

Close your eyes, and see the music...

Last edited by Gelli; 02-12-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems