Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
20 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
The King and I (Blu-ray)
$9.50
1 hr ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
20 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
11 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Coming to America (Blu-ray)
$4.99
7 hrs ago
Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99
3 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #1001
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc480 View Post
I like TV series with UV codes cause it makes it easier to binge watch. Vudu HDX is pretty darn good man...good enough to not bother swapping out BDs when I'm binging!
Getting up once in 4 hours to swap a disc is too much hassle to go through for a higher bitrate and less compression?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #1002
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Getting up once in 4 hours to swap a disc is too much hassle to go through for a higher bitrate and less compression?
Don't bother. It's the same insane discussion that happens with the LOTR EE blu-rays. "Boo hoo. I want each film on 1 disc so I don't have to get up in the middle of a 4 hour film to change discs, go to the bathroom, stretch my legs, or refresh my drink."
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 12-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #1003
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eny- View Post
If someone has a spare Season 3 slip...

I purchased my 3-pack when Amazon was shipping Season 3 without a slipcase.
I'll send you mine but you'll have to pay me something for my time. Going to the post office is a massive hassle.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #1004

Mar 2010
Room 303, The Heart o' the City Hotel
Send a message via AIM to Lionel Horsepackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Unless you're watching ST:TOS in production order, in which case it's, like, every other episode.
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Thanks given by:
KaineKinetic (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 AM   #1005
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Horsepackage View Post
Unless you're watching ST:TOS in production order, in which case it's, like, every other episode.
Goddess that was annoying...
Why in the heck did they decide, after having them in the correct order on VHS, DVD and HD-DVD, to go and do an asinine thing like putting them in AirDate order?
Old 12-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #1006
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

I always watch in the order of Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Carbomite Maneuver, Man Trap and then just watch them in disc order from there.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:38 AM   #1007
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I always watch in the order of Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Carbomite Maneuver, Man Trap and then just watch them in disc order from there.
Nope, because then Uhura inexplicably jumps back to a gold tunic in "Mudd's Women". Production order all the way.
Thanks given by:
KaineKinetic (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 04:05 AM   #1008

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineKinetic View Post
Goddess that was annoying...
Why in the heck did they decide, after having them in the correct order on VHS, DVD and HD-DVD, to go and do an asinine thing like putting them in AirDate order?
Yeah, it's weird how the conventions have changed. When TOS entered syndication in 1970, Gene Roddenberry himself intervened with the studio and insisted upon local broadcast in production order (which is basically storyline-chronological, for the most part). The 1980 Star Trek Compendium listed the episodes in production order, and that became the standard practice in all subsequent references and video releases for the next 24 years. (Note that the Okuda Star Trek Chronology also lists TOS in production order.)

Yet then, the DVD box sets came along in 2004 and suddenly embraced airdate order, and somehow that's become fashionable again ever since. Even StarTrek.com's episode guide for TOS is in airdate order, although Memory Alpha still defaults to production order. It's an ongoing source of annoyance to many fans. For over a quarter-century, a whole generation, there was pretty much a universal standard for TOS episode order, yet in the past decade, it's been thrown out, and now there are two competing orders.

Especially since production order makes far more sense. There wasn't enough continuity for there to be any huge discrepancies in airdate order, but a few show up, like the second pilot with its different sets, props, and uniforms being aired third, or "The Corbomite Maneuver," with Kirk reacting to Rand as if she's only just been assigned to him, coming tenth.

And you can follow the gradual development and refinement of characters, sets, and concepts better in production order. There aren't any advantages to airdate order that come straight to mind.
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Old 12-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #1009
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Even TNG had episodes that made no sence in the order they were put on the disks.
Geordi Sees everyone with his own eyes when Riker get the power of the Q.
Then a few epsiodes later, we see things through his V.I.S.O.R. and Cap asks what something is, and Geordi says it is Data and asks why, isn't this how you all see?

There are even more like this.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:14 AM   #1010
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Honestly I don't let the order bother me because it's not a real continuity heavy show anyway. Each episode is a mini-movie, so you can just watch them as they come. That's just me though.
Thanks given by:
benbess (12-03-2014), Early Memphis (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #1011
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Just gonna post this again....

Star Trek I: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek: Generations - Prologue

Last edited by KaineKinetic; 12-03-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:28 AM   #1012

Mar 2010

Thing is, though...stardates aren't supposed to work. The makers of the Original Series didn't want to pin down exactly how far in the future the show took place, perhaps because they knew how unwise it was to try to predict how quickly technology will advance.

While the majority of references seemed to put TOS two to three hundred years in the future, at least one episode ("The Squire of Gothos") had references putting it more like 700 years ahead. So stardates were just placeholder numbers, something put in to make it sound like a date had been mentioned, without conveying any actual chronological information of any kind.

There was a general trend for the numbers to increase over the course of the series, albeit inconsistently so, and in The Making of Star Trek, Roddenberry offered a handwave-explanation about how stardates are calculated differently depending on where you are in space, how fast you're moving, and so on, to explain why a later episode could have a "lower" stardate.

It's difficult to see why stardate-order would be interesting in any way. They're just numbers that are mentioned in passing once or twice an episode. They have no significance to the story or the characters. And watching in stardate-order would be terribly disconcerting because of the random jumping around among different seasons and phases of the show.

If you included TAS (as noted on that chart), then "The Magicks of Megas-Tu" would be the first episode, before the second pilot. "Patterns of Force" would come betwen "The Squire of Gothos," and "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" [and] "Catspaw" would immediately precede "Shore Leave," which would feel a bit repetitive. Ditto "Amok Time" being immediately followed by "This Side of Paradise." The third season and TAS would be largely interspersed.

(And there are also somewhere around five episodes that have no stardate whatsoever, making a chronological placement using this system extremely arbitrary at best, if not impossible.)
Old 12-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #1013
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Horsepackage View Post
Thing is, though...stardates aren't supposed to work. The makers of the Original Series didn't want to pin down exactly how far in the future the show took place, perhaps because they knew how unwise it was to try to predict how quickly technology will advance.

While the majority of references seemed to put TOS two to three hundred years in the future, at least one episode ("The Squire of Gothos") had references putting it more like 700 years ahead. So stardates were just placeholder numbers, something put in to make it sound like a date had been mentioned, without conveying any actual chronological information of any kind.

There was a general trend for the numbers to increase over the course of the series, albeit inconsistently so, and in The Making of Star Trek, Roddenberry offered a handwave-explanation about how stardates are calculated differently depending on where you are in space, how fast you're moving, and so on, to explain why a later episode could have a "lower" stardate.

It's difficult to see why stardate-order would be interesting in any way. They're just numbers that are mentioned in passing once or twice an episode. They have no significance to the story or the characters. And watching in stardate-order would be terribly disconcerting because of the random jumping around among different seasons and phases of the show.

If you included TAS, then "The Magicks of Megas-Tu" would be the first episode, before the second pilot. "Patterns of Force" would come betwen "The Squire of Gothos," and "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" [and] "Catspaw" would immediately precede "Shore Leave," which would feel a bit repetitive. Ditto "Amok Time" being immediately followed by "This Side of Paradise." The third season and TAS would be largely interspersed.

(And there are also somewhere around five episodes that have no stardate whatsoever, making a chronological placement using this system almost impossible.)
StarDate is pretty close to Production Order.
For the No-StarDate eps, I inserted them where Production Order fits them.
If they don't fit there, they went to the end of the Season. I watched the series this way, and it plays out really well!
If you can, you should try it.
Yes, it does require a LOT of Disk Swapping, but, it was kinda fun.
I'm gonna start watching this way again tomorrow!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #1014
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Sorry, Kaine. While I appreciate the list, no way I'm gonna work that hard.
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those lucky few who are truly loved.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #1015
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Sorry, Kaine. While I appreciate the list, no way I'm gonna work that hard.
come on...
try it...
you know you want to...
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (12-03-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America