Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #221
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
I really really hope Bigelow doesn't screw Tarantino out of another much deserved Oscar. She has made some very good films but I would take Quentin's weakest film over Bigelow's entire filmography. Basterds was 100 times the film Hurt Locker was and has infinitely more re-watchabiliy than that film. If Chastain takes Best actress I am cool with that. She is such a tremendous actress and certainly deserves the recognition . I loved so many of her performances since she came out of nowhere a couple years ago. But if ZD30 cleans up this year I am gonna be so depressed and bored by the academy yet once again.
It depends on whether ZD30 is better than Django as to whetehr I will be upset or not, I haven't seen it and it may actually deserve it so we shall see
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #222
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Looks like Zero Dark Thirty is becoming the front runner?
Not exactly. It's still early in the race so things can change again. But it's building momentum.
City Is My Church
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #223
Special Member

Oct 2012
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicket View Post
Not exactly. It's still early in the race so things can change again. But it's building momentum.
It looks like it's a three way race for Best Picture between Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, and Lincoln.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #224
Expert Member

Nov 2007
Calgary, Alberta

Which movie will win Best Picture this year? Looking more and more like it'll come down to Zero Dark Thirty, Argo and Les Mis.
"...you should use your full name, I like that name.....Robin" Though Robin isn't a full name nor is it any of the Robin's actual names, David S Goyer, everyone! The "S" stands for Shitty Writer.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #225
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanp View Post
Which movie will win Best Picture this year? Looking more and more like it'll come down to Zero Dark Thirty, Argo and Les Mis.
Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty are the big two as of this hour. Les Mis still has a chance however, and if I were a betting man I would take it over Argo every day of the week.

Tomorrow though, who knows.

It will keep fluctuating for a little bit until more awards are handed out and the frontrunners emerge.
City Is My Church
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #226
Special Member

Feb 2011

Zero Dark Thirty certainly has the early momentum, but The Social Network was certain to sweep all its awards in 2010. Remember? Speculation is fun but it's still early yet, and I'm still waiting for some of these movies to actually come out.

This year moreso than recently critics have been quite divergent with the public. Although the greater public isn't the biggest factor in regards to Academy voters that consideration is a part of the process in the nomination field for the Picture race, particularly.

As an aside, I've got to admit that I'm not super-excited about Zero Dark Thirty. I'm pretty sure its well-made and it's the critical darling, but it looks like a Hurt Locker retread and the story just doesn't quite whet my interest. I'll still see it, yeah, but it's certainly lower on the priority list.

Last edited by Cinemach; 12-06-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #227
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

In know this will change once I see Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, Rust & Bone and The Impossible; but 2012 has not been the year for stand out female performances. The only standout of the films ive seen is the girl from Beasts of the Southern Wild, which i wouldnt doubt the Academy will consider as a supporting performance (ala True Grit).

It definitely has been the year for male performances: John Hawkes, Denzel Washington, Daniel Day Lewis, Joaquin Pheonix, Richard Gere, Liam Neeson (The Grey) and more.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #228
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
In know this will change once I see Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, Rust & Bone and The Impossible; but 2012 has not been the year for stand out female performances. The only standout of the films ive seen is the girl from Beasts of the Southern Wild, which i wouldnt doubt the Academy will consider as a supporting performance (ala True Grit).

It definitely has been the year for male performances: John Hawkes, Denzel Washington, Daniel Day Lewis, Joaquin Pheonix, Richard Gere, Liam Neeson (The Grey) and more.
Last year you could have fielded two Best Actress fields. Funny how these things cycle from year to year.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #229
Expert Member

Nov 2011
Nouvelle-Zélande

Best Supporting Actress:

I want Anne Hathaway to win because she was an amazing Fantine. Her "I Dreamed a Dream" was sublime and its pathos carried the film to its very last frame.

But, I also want Ann Dowd to get nominated at least. She was amazing in Compliance.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #230
Special Member

Oct 2011
Canada

I think Javier Bardem should get a oscar nod for Skyfall.
"Your Story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story, who you choose to be..."

"Ideals are peaceful, history is violent." - Wardaddy

Favourite Movies By Year:
2009: Moon 2010: The Social Network 2011: Hugo 2012: Marvel's The Avengers 2013: The Wolf of Wall Street
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #231
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
In the back, off the side, far away

I'm pulling for Tommy Lee Jones to win for Lincoln, really enjoyed that performance.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #232
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujazz View Post
Best Supporting Actress:

I want Anne Hathaway to win because she was an amazing Fantine. Her "I Dreamed a Dream" was sublime and its pathos carried the film to its very last frame.

But, I also want Ann Dowd to get nominated at least. She was amazing in Compliance.
I like all of that. I always pull for the indies to get noms.

Moonrise and Beasts are ending up on quite a few top 10 lists. Noms for both are looking likely.
City Is My Church
Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #233
Special Member

Feb 2011

Thoughts on the Actor races from the SAG nominations...there were surprises in each category:

-No Joaquin Phoenix for The Master is the biggest snub of the noms to me. This puts a cloud on a call for a nomination lock, and opens up the road to a slot for John Hawkes. This seems to solidify Bradley Cooper, Denzel Washington and Hugh Jackman as Actor locks, though

-Big surprise with Helen Mirren for Hitchcock in female actor. I don't think she's getting an Oscar nom (...yet), but perhaps this can springboard into a push for a spot, of which there are open ones. The only Actress spots locked up as I see it are Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain, with a handful of actresses in a clamor for those other three slots

-Nicole Kidman, Supporting Actress for The Paperboy! WOW!. Unlike Mirren above, I DO NOT see this even happening for the Oscars with a push - certainly for the Globes, yes - but stranger things have happened. Hathaway and Field are the clear favorites in this category and I expect them to sweep through the awards circuit. I'm not super shocked to see Dench not get a nom, though.

-...I am surprised at Bardem's nomination over Leo for Supporting Actor, though. The rest of this field is pretty much a lock for Oscar nomination too: De Niro, Arkin, Hoffman, Jones...and I expect Leo might make a bigger splash throughout the awards circuit

-Could The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel make a push into the Picture race, due to its Ensemble nomination here? I don't think so, but some of its actors might get a push in the Oscar race, and this could be parlayed into getting Dench a spot in the Supporting Actress race in a kind of one-role-nominated-for-two situation.

Last edited by Cinemach; 12-12-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #234
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010

Pay close attention to the SAG awards for best actress/actor. They are usually very good indicators.

Zero Dark for best picture? Not since Braveheart has a film won without getting a SAG nom for ensemble.

The odds for Lincolin just got a whole lot better.
City Is My Church

Last edited by Snicket; 12-12-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies