Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #1181
Special Member

Oct 2010
Netherlands

It seems to be an Universal Pictures Europe/Rest of World thing. Like I said Inglorious Basterds (2009) also has this.

I have both discs the US disc and the Germany disc (For Extended Scene)

US plays fine with different subtitles
DE doesn't. Removes the text and replaces it by subtitles.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #1182
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
I have both discs the US disc and the Germany disc (For Extended Scene)
Ok, that's a new one I hear!
The German Bluray has an extended scene?
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Old 10-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #1183
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Ok, I'm confused now..
If it is like you say,then that means that the film goes back and forth via seamless branching in the scenes where there is a burned-in text.
because burned-in text means this: that it can never be removed! It's one together with the image.

James I would be curious about your US Bluray too.
When you choose the English for Hearing Impaired subtitles, the burned in text disappears?
Wow! That is truly bizarre. So the Euro disc has the original burned in titles for the English version, but they vanish for the foreign language subtitled versions?

I had no idea they did that, very strange. I guess it's useful for those people who can't understand a word of English and wouldn't want two sets of titles cluttering the screen. Must be seamless branching, as you say. Not at all what I expected, I just though they'd be player-generated in every language, even English.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #1184
Special Member

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Ok, that's a new one I hear!
The German Bluray has an extended scene?
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4237485
Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #1185
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
Oh, I thought you were talking about Schindler's List.
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Old 10-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #1186
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Wow! That is truly bizarre. So the Euro disc has the original burned in titles for the English version, but they vanish for the foreign language subtitled versions?

I had no idea they did that, very strange. I guess it's useful for those people who can't understand a word of English and wouldn't want two sets of titles cluttering the screen. Must be seamless branching, as you say. Not at all what I expected, I just though they'd be player-generated in every language, even English.
So, James, is it that way on your US Bluray too?
I mean, when you pick English for hearing impaired, french or Spanish, the burned in text disappears?
Can you please check?
because if it is like this, then there's no point for me in purchasing the US disc since I will always watch the film with subtitles.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #1187

Mar 2013
Capua

Those burned in subtitles are my only criticism of this film. And I only criticize them for being a big block of text that does not stand out well from the background, and usually doesn't stay on screen long enough to work your way through reading it all. But that's only a minor blip in an otherwise perfect masterpiece and important film.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #1188
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
So, James, is it that way on your US Bluray too?
I mean, when you pick English for hearing impaired, french or Spanish, the burned in text disappears?
Can you please check?
because if it is like this, then there's no point for me in purchasing the US disc since I will always watch the film with subtitles.
I'll check my US disc tonight
Old 10-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #1189
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:
I'll check my US disc tonight
Any news?
Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #1190
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Any news?
I checked the US BD.

The burned in titles remain on screen when you turn on the subtitles, which are player-generated. There are 5 sets of subtitles, English SDH, French, Spanish, French and Spanish. No idea why there are two sets of French and Spanish, the menu only lists 3 options (each language once), but when you cycle through the actual subtitles while the film is playing using the 'Subtitle" button on your machine, there are 5.

But the original titles remain burned in for all options. I tried turning on subtitles both with the subtitle button and from the BD's main menu.

Last edited by James Luckard; 10-12-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #1191
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:
I checked the US BD.

The burned in titles remain on screen when you turn on the subtitles, which are player-generated. There are 5 sets of subtitles, English SDH, French, Spanish, French and Spanish. No idea why there are two sets of French and Spanish, the menu only lists 3 options (each language once), but when you cycle through the actual subtitles while the film is playing using the 'Subtitle" button on your machine, there are 5.

But the original titles remain burned in for all options. I tried turning on subtitles both with the subtitle button and from the BD's main menu.

Ah, OK. Thank you very much for checking!
Then I'll believe it's the US release I will be getting.
If only there was a Bluray only version.
I don't want releases with extra stuff (DVD) that I won't be using at all.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #1192
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Ah, OK. Thank you very much for checking!
Then I'll believe it's the US release I will be getting.
If only there was a Bluray only version.
I don't want releases with extra stuff (DVD) that I won't be using at all.
Glad to see there's someone else out there like me who wants to see the original onscreen text displayed in the film's original language, even if it appears in my language in add'l subtitles.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #1193
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Glad to see there's someone else out there like me who wants to see the original onscreen text displayed in the film's original language, even if it appears in my language in add'l subtitles.
I just hope there aren't many descriptive subtitles, because i get irritated by those.

Last edited by filmmusic; 10-12-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
blu ray, release, schindler's list