COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$17.98
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$100.82
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.67
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$32.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #421
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
Ummm.... There are no "fixed discs". The same issue exists on all versions of the disc. Theyve basically said deal with it.
Again, the issue is with the chipsets of certain BD players, NOT THE DISC.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #422
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Agreed. Most people use bitstreaming I believe. We shouldn't have to change it to PCM just because Sony doesn't know what they're doing.
I would bet serious money most people use PCM on TV speakers.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:31 AM   #423
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Or get a BD player with a good chipset.
From the looks of this thread, it seems as though 90% of players have an issue with this disc. So, we should be lucky that we have a player with a "good chipset" because it seems as though most people here have this audio problem.
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
Old 08-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #424
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
From the looks of this thread, it seems as though 90% of players have an issue with this disc. So, we should be lucky that we have a player with a "good chipset" because it seems as though most people here have this audio problem.

The majority of this thread has been people talking about their sound issues so the stats are more than a bit skewed. 90% of Blu-ray.com isn't posting here. I have a hard time believing nobody plays movies on their PS3s anymore and that everyone bitstreams...
Old 08-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #425
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-

Na, it's the disc.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #426
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
The majority of this thread has been people talking about their sound issues so the stats are more than a bit skewed. 90% of Blu-ray.com isn't posting here. I have a hard time believing nobody plays movies on their PS3s anymore and that everyone bitstreams...
lol, there are DOZENS of blu-ray players out there that have this issue... I have 3 of them (some only created in the last 12 months) and they ALL have the dropouts.... and about bitstreaming... basically just about anyone who has a DTS-HD MA /Dolby TrueHD capable receiver bitstreams.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #427
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
lol, there are DOZENS of blu-ray players out there that have this issue... I have 3 of them (some only created in the last 12 months) and they ALL have the dropouts.... and about bitstreaming... basically just about anyone who has a DTS-HD MA /Dolby TrueHD capable receiver bitstreams.
Dozens BD players all use MediaTek decoder chipsets. You have multiple player lines in a single model year all using the same decoder.

If it wasn't, all BD players would have a bitstreaming issue. In-player decoding would not work either.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #428
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2014

Quote:
Dozens BD players all use MediaTek decoder chipsets. You have multiple player lines in a single model year all using the same decoder.

If it wasn't, all BD players would have a bitstreaming issue. In-player decoding would not work either.
It's still the disc, then.

1) Sony should've tested the disc on a wide variety of platforms.

2) This disc won't play properly on Sony BD players.
Attention: Blu Titan and crazyBLUE are awesome.

We now return to the regularly scheduled programming.
Thanks given by:
fdm (09-01-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #429
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011

Thought I was going crazy when I got the "replacement" disc and was still having the same audio issues Thanks everyone for your comments here!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #430

Dec 2009

For those considering purchasing this title the "Total Recall (Mastered in 4k)" edition is said to not exhibit the issue. I purchased a copy myself which is getting delivered tomorrow, so I'll be able to report back to confirm having already sold my original copy of this which exhibited the issue being discussed here on all of my Blu-ray players.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #431
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->254

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
For those considering purchasing this title the "Total Recall (Mastered in 4k)" edition is said to not exhibit the issue. I purchased a copy myself which is getting delivered tomorrow, so I'll be able to report back to confirm having already sold my original copy of this which exhibited the issue being discussed here on all of my Blu-ray players.
The problem is that the MI4K release does not contain the extended cut or any of the extras on the initial release.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #432
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2014

Quote:
That's because that disc does not have the extended version (via branching), which is generally considered to be better than the theatrical version.
Attention: Blu Titan and crazyBLUE are awesome.

We now return to the regularly scheduled programming.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #433

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
The problem is that the MI4K release does not contain the extended cut or any of the extras on the initial release.
Good to know for sure. Thanks for pointing those things out. For those interested you can check out the differences between the theatrical and extended cuts here. That being said, I've already seen the extended cut and would rather downgrade to the theatrical cut at this point in favor of being able to bitstream instead. I also don't care about having the bonus materials. Prefer to not reveal the man behind the curtain in most cases and would much rather spend that same time watching another feature presentation instead. To each his own naturally.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 09-19-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Thanks given by:
AVfile (09-20-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 03:06 AM   #434

Dec 2009

After watching the theatrical version just now I only have one thing to say, less is more in this case. The pacing and flow of the theatrical version was so much better than the extended version which I've also seen. In fact, I'd say it was damn near perfect. The added footage offered in the extended version only served to detract from the overall experience for me at most interrupting the pacing of the film. It was also very nice to be able to bitstream the Dolby TrueHD track without the picture freezing and audio dropouts occuring per this MI4K theatrical only release. Every time I see a title released that uses Dolby TrueHD and seamless branching I cringe. Experience the same issue with Brave and several other titles that offer a Dolby TrueHD track and use seamless branching. No thank you. It's so nice to have one less of those titles in my Blu-ray collection now. Have no regrets selling my original copy of this and picking up the MI4K release instead. I also just have to say, if you can get out of your own way, allow the film to stand on its own and live in the moment as the events unfold in front of you this is truly one hell of a thrill ride from start to finish. Found this film to be extremely well done on all counts with the expection of the abundance of lens flare. Was thoroughly entertained and can easily see myself giving this disc a spin again every couple years. Your results may vary of course.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 09-24-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #435
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Every time I see a title released that uses Dolby TrueHD and seamless branching I cringe.
With Dolby Atmos on Blu-ray here now, Dolby TrueHD will be on many more releases...

Quote:
Have no regrets selling my original copy of this and picking up the MI4K release instead
Bonus features?
Old 09-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #436

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Bonus features?
From my previous reply per the MI4K release not offering the bonus features...
Quote:
I also don't care about having the bonus materials. Prefer to not reveal the man behind the curtain in most cases and would much rather spend that same time watching another feature presentation instead. To each his own naturally.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #437
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
From my previous reply per the MI4K release not offering the bonus features...
Oh. I see I see. I LOVE bonus content.

To me, the best bonus content I think I've seen was Breaking Bad complete series exclusive bonus disc, Dark Knight Trilogy exclusive bonus disc and Man of Steel. Man of Steel bonus was excellent. It played the movie through with PIP bonus features. I loved it.

A lot of Blu-rays have throw away, garbage bonus content. When a good one comes along, I'm pretty happy.

I could listen to filmmakers talk about their art for ages..

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 09-29-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #438

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Oh. I see I see. I LOVE bonus content.

To me, the best bonus content I think I've seen was Breaking Bad complete series exclusive bonus disc, Dark Knight Trilogy exclusive bonus disc and Man of Steel. Man of Steel bonus was excellent. It played the movie through with PIP bonus features. I loved it.

A lot of Blu-rays have throw away, garbage bonus content. When a good one comes along, I'm pretty happy.

I could listen to filmmakers talk about their art for ages.

Two great documentaries I liked were Side By Side & Distortion of Sound: The Distortion of Sound [Full Film] - YouTube.
TV shows would be the one exception for me with respects to bonus content, but there's a catch. I'll only check out any bonus features once the given show has ended (...however many years that may take) and I've had a chance to binge watch the entire show from start to finish. Just prefer to not step outside of the world that's created in any way, shape or form until the show has ended and you are right, the bonus disc for the Breaking Bad set you speak of was absolutely awesome. With films I rarely if ever check out any bonus content offered at most listening to a commentary track perhaps, but only after having watched the film a couple times first.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 09-29-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America