Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Birds (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$15.79
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
No Holds Barred (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old Today, 03:05 AM   #13741
Special Member

Aug 2011

I just bought the extended edition set. Is there any reason to keep the theatrical versions?
Old Today, 03:27 AM   #13742
Expert Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar Jar Stinks View Post
I just bought the extended edition set. Is there any reason to keep the theatrical versions?
Completions sake. For me, once I saw the extended cuts, I could never go back to the theatrical cuts.
Old Today, 03:46 AM   #13743

Sep 2011
USA

Quote:
100% no, however the extras on the theatrical ones are different than the extended so I kept both.

Last edited by Deathbymonkeys; Today at 03:53 AM.
Old Today, 04:15 AM   #13744
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I haven't seen the extendeds yet, but when I was asking about them, some preferred the color timing of the Theatricals and some watched them when they wanted a "quickie". Best bet : watch the extendeds and then judge for yerself.
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old Today, 04:18 AM   #13745
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Some different extra features is really the only thing to entice a person to hold onto the theatrical editions. But, with all of the extras included in the EE set, I'm certain there is enough to satisfy almost any LOTR fan's needs.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old Today, 12:32 PM   #13746

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Some different extra features is really the only thing to entice a person to hold onto the theatrical editions. But, with all of the extras included in the EE set, I'm certain there is enough to satisfy almost any LOTR fan's needs.
For me, my most wanted extra is the original advertising materials, namely the trailers. I bought the theatrical versions after the extended for just that (and only that)...
Peace... Harry

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....
Old Today, 02:17 PM   #13747
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarcourtMudd View Post
For me, my most wanted extra is the original advertising materials, namely the trailers. I bought the theatrical versions after the extended for just that (and only that)...
Well, in that case, you might be happy with the cheap, new Theatrical set (was $12.96). The only included extras are the same 5-6 trailers on each disc (+ online crap if you're into that).

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lo...Blu-ray/92735/
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Old Today, 02:32 PM   #13748
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
yes, the theatrical version are much better for the 1st and 3rd film. ESPECIALLY the 3rd film. it's hard to watch that one in the extended version. the Two towers benefits from the extended scenes and the 1st one is only slightly better in the theatrical. slight trade off
Old Today, 04:43 PM   #13749
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Houston, TX

As you can tell, it's obviously a very personal decision. Everybody has their own opinion as to which is "better".
Chet

BD 3D: This ain't yo momma's 3D!!! ;)
Old Today, 04:56 PM   #13750
Expert Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
ESPECIALLY the 3rd film. it's hard to watch that one in the extended version.
Except that the story isn't anywhere near complete without Sarumans demise, the house of healing, Merry offering his services to Theodon, Gandalf vs. the Witchking, and especially the mouth of Sauron. These are essential scenes you don't get in the far less superior theatrical cut.
Old Today, 05:13 PM   #13751
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
Except that the story isn't anywhere near complete without Saruman's demise, the house of healing, Merry offering his services to Théoden, Gandalf vs. the Witchking, and especially the mouth of Sauron. These are essential scenes you don't get in the far less superior theatrical cut.
I don't disagree with you - in fact the parts they left out from the book (such as the scourging of the Shire ) are similarly essential. However, the Theatrical does contain "Merry offering his services to Théoden" - although there is nothing of Théoden's acceptance, it cuts right to Merry talking to Gandalf about it. Love to see how they cover "Saruman's demise" w/o the scourging of the Shire ...

Old Today, 05:30 PM   #13752
Expert Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I don't disagree with you - in fact the parts they left out from the book (such as the scourging of the Shire ) are similarly essential. However, the Theatrical does contain "Merry offering his services to Théoden" - although there is nothing of Théoden's acceptance, it cuts right to Merry talking to Gandalf about it. Love to see how they cover "Saruman's demise" w/o the scourging of the Shire ...
The scouring isn't really needed as it would have only been another so called "tacked on" ending. Plus, it gets referenced and shown in the mirror of Galadriel so we still have it. Albeit briefly.
Old Today, 05:49 PM   #13753
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
Except that the story isn't anywhere near complete without Sarumans demise, the house of healing, Merry offering his services to Theodon, Gandalf vs. the Witchking, and especially the mouth of Sauron. These are essential scenes you don't get in the far less superior theatrical cut.
Also, the Extended Edition of Fellowship explains how Frodo knew Gollum's name was Smeagol in The Two Towers. Small thing, but welcome.
Old Today, 06:17 PM   #13754

Aug 2010

The Extended Editions are definitely better than the theatrical cuts IMO, but I still like owning the original theatrical cuts of the trilogy too, mostly for completionists' sake lol but they DO have different bonus features so that's a plus. And sometimes I'll put the movies on in the background while I'm doing other stuff and it's nice that I don't have to switch discs to finish the movie.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America