Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hurricane (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.87
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.98
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Pitfall (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Escape from Alcatraz (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
A Child Is Waiting (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #6421
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I'll have to remember that one if someone ever pulls me up on owning the Transformers movies or STID: film is just as much a visual and aural medium, so I'm admiring the artform in my own way by watching giant robot testicles clanging together.
Thanks given by:
WhySoBlu? (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 12:20 AM   #6422
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I'll have to remember that one if someone ever pulls me up on owning the Transformers movies or STID: film is just as much a visual and aural medium, so I'm admiring the artform in my own way by watching giant robot testicles clanging together.
Point taken, but nothing in Prometheus is as insanely horrid as that. I mean, do we all love Blade Runner because of it's snappy dialog? It's wonderful characters? Not really. We love it because of the visuals, music, world and overall meanings. I feel like I appreciate Prometheus much the same way, just less so because it's not as good.

Also the visual and aural splendors of Transformers do nothing for me either, so it's a bad comparison. If I had to think of a movie that looks amazing and sounds amazing but I still really dislike because of writing, well... Into Darkness probably is the best example. I think Prometheus is much better written than Into Darkness.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:29 AM   #6423
Expert Member

Sep 2014
They're gonna give daddy the Rain Man suite, do ya dig that? Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I value imagery and sound more than a lot of people here though I have noticed.
Yet you choose to downmix any soundtrack that's not stereo or mono. Curious.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 AM   #6424
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoBlu? View Post
Yet you choose to downmix any soundtrack that's not stereo or mono. Curious.
Stop picking fights over stupid shit.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:45 AM   #6425
Expert Member

Sep 2014
They're gonna give daddy the Rain Man suite, do ya dig that? Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Stop picking fights over stupid shit.
Hey, I'm just trying to reconcile your claim with the facts.

Claiming you "value imagery and sound more than a lot of people here" is... well we'll just call it "bold." Although if you're just referring to those who are using their TV speakers, I suppose I could see that.

But still...
Old 08-05-2015, 01:03 AM   #6426
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoBlu? View Post
Claiming you "value imagery and sound more than a lot of people here" is... well we'll just call it "bold." Although if you're just referring to those who are using their TV speakers, I suppose I could see that.
Preferring 2.1 because I dislike surround effects has nothing at all to do with enjoying a film for its music and visuals even if the writing is poor. Disliking surround sound also has nothing at all to do with liking sound in general, or my kick-ass speakers and sub. Obvious tenuous link to try and start an argument is obvious.

You seem obsessed with my dislike of surround sound. You bring it up often. I have no idea why you care so much about what I like or dislike.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:39 AM   #6427
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
The heck of it is, there's a LOT of decidedly average stuff in his filmography (not just recently) so I don't think the sun shines out of his arse but he comes up with a genre-defining classic every 20 years or so which is why the studios keep on hiring him. I think Prometheus is piss in its current form, being pretty as hell to look at but it plays like it's been written and edited by interns, regardless of how lofty the themes are. When average turns into outright bad that's when I start worrying about any director, not just Scott.
Yeah, Ridley has had way more misses than hits in my opinion as well, and not just in the past 10 years. All throughout his career he's been wildly inconsistent.

Quote:
Oh man I laughed pretty hard at this.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:00 AM   #6428
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
Yeah, Ridley has had way more misses than hits in my opinion as well, and not just in the past 10 years. All throughout his career he's been wildly inconsistent.
I'll agree that his output has been inconsistent, but I also agree with the few who say that he's never made a "bad" film. Some of them have more glaring issues than others, but so far, having a "Directed by Ridley Scott"-attachment has always been a kind of assurance that the film will be worth my time in the end.

The only film I've had real problems with was G.I. Jane, which I didn't like upon release, but have come to appreciate a lot more recently upon rewatching it a few months ago. The Counsellor was a bit of a strange beast as well, but there was a lot to like and I'm going to rewatch that one soon enough as well and try to pick up on some of the things I probably missed the first time around.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 02:01 AM   #6429
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
I'll agree that his output has been inconsistent, but I also agree with the few who say that he's never made a "bad" film. Some of them have more glaring issues than others, but so far, having a "Directed by Ridley Scott"-attachment has always been a kind of assurance that the film will be worth my time in the end.

The only film I've had real problems with was G.I. Jane, which I didn't like upon release, but have come to appreciate a lot more recently upon rewatching it a few months ago. The Counsellor was a bit of a strange beast as well, but there was a lot to like and I'm going to rewatch that one soon enough as well and try to pick up on some of the things I probably missed the first time around.
I think he's made some bad movies but hooray for you being able to enjoy his entire filmography more than me.
Thanks given by:
GC Riot (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #6430
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDragon View Post
I remember revisiting Alien before watching Prometheus, and listening to the commentary for the first time, and there he is describing his prequel concept in detail. I'm thinking to myself, "Holy shit, he's describing Prometheus thirteen years before he did it!"
Damn, going to have to listen to that Alien commentary again now!

My Alien obsessed brother probably already knows
What does that mean, Rickles?
Thanks given by:
LuckyDragon (08-05-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America