Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99
18 hrs ago
DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99
18 hrs ago
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.05
4 hrs ago
The Death of Superman (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$19.96
8 hrs ago
Bound (Blu-ray)
$29.33
7 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hell Night (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Mission: Impossible III 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)
$22.00

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Rabid (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Power Member

Apr 2008
Thumbs up Ancient Aliens Season 1

Has anyone been watching this series on the History Channel ? Looks like the blu ray is out October 2010. The last episode is on tonight May 25th.

Some of the information is pretty far out there. However, some looks interesting to say the least.

Ancient Aliens: The Complete Season 1 Blu-ray Review

Last edited by Deciazulado; 12-07-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Blu View Post
Has anyone been watching this series on the History Channel ? Looks like the blu ray is out October 2010. The last episode is on tonight May 25th.

Some of the information is pretty far out there. However, some looks interesting to say the least.
Yeah, I've been watching it. Pretty cool stuff. Out there? Nah, not reallly...it's actually starting to make me question my Faith. In this past Sunday's First Reading (I'm Catholic) from the Acts of Apostles, it pretty much described an alien encounter that injected everybody present with a universal translator.

The way I look at it, probably every mention of the Gods in the Bible could be explained as being extra-terrestial encounters. Think about it, if aliens could travel at or above the speed of light, their visits to Earth 2000-2500 years ago could seem just like yesterday to them.
If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Nuuk, Greenland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln6Echo View Post
Yeah, I've been watching it. Pretty cool stuff. Out there? Nah, not reallly...it's actually starting to make me question my Faith. In this past Sunday's First Reading (I'm Catholic) from the Acts of Apostles, it pretty much described an alien encounter that injected everybody present with a universal translator.

The way I look at it, probably every mention of the Gods in the Bible could be explained as being extra-terrestial encounters. Think about it, if aliens could travel at or above the speed of light, their visits to Earth 2000-2500 years ago could seem just like yesterday to them.
That's some deep stuff right there.
formerly known as Q!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q! View Post
That's some deep stuff right there.
Here's the Passage in question:

Sunday, May 23, 2010 Pentecost Mass
First Reading: Acts 2:1-11
Quote:
When the time for Pentecost was fulfilled, they were all in one place together. And suddenly there came from the sky a noise like a strong driving wind, and it filled the entire house in which they were.
A spaceship with retro landing thrusters?

Quote:
Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire, which parted and came to rest on each one of them. And they were all filled with the holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues, as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim.
A laser or hot beam of light?

Quote:
Now there were devout Jews from every nation under heaven staying in Jerusalem. At this sound, they gathered in a large crowd, but they were confused because each one heard them speaking in his own language.
Universal translator?

Quote:
They were astounded, and in amazement they asked, "Are not all these people who are speaking Galileans? Then how does each of us hear them in his own native language? We are Parthians, Medes, and Elamites, inhabitants of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya near Cyrene, as well as travelers from Rome, both Jews and converts to Judaism, Cretans and Arabs, yet we hear them speaking in our own tongues of the mighty acts of God."
I rest my case.

Deep stuff indeed.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Quote:
Or maybe if you go with my theory that if there is intelligent extra-terrestrial life out there, God purposelly spaced them far enough away from each other to where we could never interact with each other.

Even traveling at light speed those alien life forms would have to be able to live for a long time. For instance, the closest star system to us is Alpha Centauri, which is over 4 light years away. 4 light years doesnt seem like a long time but if you travel to that spot going at the speed of the fastest spacecraft we have, it would take 19,000 years, and even going 1% of the speed of light (which is still well beyond anything we can currently dream about) it would take 435 years. Intelligent life would have to be very close because if they are coming from let's say 100 light years, they would have to be damn near immortal to make that journey.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:

Were you raised Catholic, or did you choose that faith?
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld54 View Post
Or maybe if you go with my theory that if there is intelligent extra-terrestrial life out there, God purposelly spaced them far enough away from each other to where we could never interact with each other.

Even traveling at light speed those alien life forms would have to be able to live for a long time. For instance, the closest star system to us is Alpha Centauri, which is over 4 light years away. 4 light years doesnt seem like a long time but if you travel to that spot going at the speed of the fastest spacecraft we have, it would take 19,000 years, and even going 1% of the speed of light (which is still well beyond anything we can currently dream about) it would take 435 years. Intelligent life would have to be very close because if they are coming from let's say 100 light years, they would have to be damn near immortal to make that journey.
Or have Warp 10 engines. Or at least cryosleep.

Quote:
Were you raised Catholic, or did you choose that faith?
Born, and raised, going on 37 years now. But if you've watched the series, one episode touched on that these aliens may have been on a "teaching humans the righteous way to live" via the Ten Commandments.

Ever wonder why some UFO sightings happen around military bases that deal with nuclear technology? Maybe these aliens are concerned that we have developed technology that can destroy us a hundred times over.

All I know, is that if you look at most of the Biblical stories, and applied modern sensibilities to them, they could all possiby be explained by the ancient alien theory.

Last edited by Lincoln6Echo; 05-26-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #8

Aug 2006

Damn, if that show can make you question your faith you didn't have much to begin with.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaS View Post
Damn, if that show can make you question your faith you didn't have much to begin with.
On the contrary, I have a real big problem with atheists. In essense, atheists would deny the ancient alien theory as well if extrapolated out.

I don't believe in the theory of evolution all that much neither. Because the fact is that the large majority of species that ever existed on Earth are extinct. Why? Because they couldn't evolve and adapt to new changes, or because each species were created as is?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

The way this show grasps at straws is amazing. It literally has not one shred of real evidence of alien encounters. People make up stories today why is it so hard to believe that people did the same thing thousands of years ago.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 AM   #11
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
The way this show grasps at straws is amazing. It literally has not one shred of real evidence of alien encounters. People make up stories today why is it so hard to believe that people did the same thing thousands of years ago.
Not one shred of evidence? All the cave paintings and heiroglyphs aren't enough for ya?

"For those that don't believe, no amount of evidence will suffice. For those who believe, no evidence is needed."
Old 05-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois

Giorgio Tsoukalos's hair is the craziest thing ever. Love this show. They have it on On Demand, so you don't have to sit through commercials. Can't wait for the blu-ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
Duuuuude it's a series, with each show covering different topics. And duuuuude.....there's plenty of "evidence" BUT who knows if they're just old stories or real? That's the beauty of it.

Whether you believe in this sort of thing or not, it is very interesting to see all these ancient cultures (that are sometimes continents apart) shared the same general stories.

Last edited by Offender_Mullet; 05-26-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Yes you COULD translate it like that. But the bible is clear in stating that it is a spiritual being. So the question is why WOULD you translate it like that? It seems obvious that you don't possess a strong faith in Catholicism if you question your faith over alien theories. Not knocking you. I have very weak faith too.

Quote:

Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Isn't this based on the book Chariots of the Gods? I read this a few years ago and enjoyed it, think some of the stuff has since been solved though, ie, the exploding asteroid over Cyberia. But if it delves deeper into the subjects then I may watch it, if it's out over here.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

That seem interesting. I have yet to see it. I am sure History TV will probably have it soon over here.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1989 View Post
Isn't this based on the book Chariots of the Gods?
They had a show a few months ago titled "Chariots, Gods & Beyond". It's listed in the Ancient Aliens episode guide on their website, so I guess it's part of the series

I don't remember much (the newer episodes seem better anyway), but they referenced his book quite a bit in it. While I haven't seen any refs in the new episodes, the author, Erich von Däniken (who is the least interesting of all the interviewees and seems the most hokey) appears.

Last edited by Offender_Mullet; 05-26-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Quote:
Or have Warp 10 engines. Or at least cryosleep.
Like I said, well beyond our dreams.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offender_Mullet View Post
the author, Erich von Däniken (who is the least interesting of all the interviewees and seems the most hokey) appears.
"Hokey" doesn't even begin to describe Erich von Däniken:

Quote:
Some also question von Däniken's credibility, as he has also knowingly put forward fraudulent evidence to advance his hypotheses, such as photographs of pottery "depicting UFOs", supposedly from an archaeological dig dating back to the biblical era. The PBS television series Nova determined that this was a fraud, and even located the potter who made them. When confronted with this evidence, von Däniken argued that the deception was justified because some people would only believe his theories if they saw actual proof.[7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_von_D%C3%A4niken
Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDarren View Post
"Hokey" doesn't even begin to describe Erich von Däniken:
I saw that in his Wiki profile, but the guy's written about 30 books I think, so I'm sure he's not a complete fraud. Then again....who knows?

Quote:
Like I said, well beyond our dreams.
Cryosleep beyond our dreams? Nah, just ask Ted Williams' head when we wake him up.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #20

Jun 2009

Quote:

Or they could just fold space and time to cut their time significantly and their distance shorter.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America