Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Oct 2008
Default Anyone use their ipad to control their HT

I found some threads that were started in 2011 about this subject as well but I was wondering if anyone has an ipad they use to control their HT? If so - what program do you use?

I have an ipad 3
Old 11-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2007
Michigan

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it all works in conjunction with the 'Harmony Link'

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remote...s/harmony-link

They have a link on that page to download the app for your Ipad.
Main Theater Setup:
(Panasonic 65" HDTV) (Onkyo 5008 - (2)M-282 amps) (PS3 Slim 250gb)(XBOX360 4GB)
(Monitor Audio - RX2's - (4)RXFX - RX CENTER) (SVS - (2)PB12 Plus) (Harmony 1100) (Monster HDP-2400)
Bedroom Setup:
(Samsung LN40B610) (Onkyo 805) (Sony BDP-S570)(Monster HDP-1800)
(Klipsch - RW-12D - F2's - C2 - Quintet III's) (DIY 10" Sub) (Harmony 880)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Power Member

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe it all works in conjunction with the 'Harmony Link'

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remote...s/harmony-link

They have a link on that page to download the app for your Ipad.
I really like the look of this solution. Short of being limited to IR control I think it is a slick, affordable solution. There are numerous other solutions that are more robust, but bang for your buck I'd look this way. I'm running custom software on the iPad Crestron app with a Crestron QM-RMC processor.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #4

Aug 2012
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightfan View Post
I found some threads that were started in 2011 about this subject as well but I was wondering if anyone has an ipad they use to control their HT? If so - what program do you use?

I have an ipad 3
Current using an iPod Touch, but have an iPad mini sitting here that I bought for specifically that purpose. I just have to create new iPad screens for it to work.

I use iRule in conjunction with a Global Cache GC-100 and iTach to relay the IR commands to a few pieces, RS232 to the projector and Oppo BD player, and direct IP control of the Integra preamp and my DirecTV boxes.

See http://www.iruleathome.com

The "Guided Access" feature of iOS6 makes this much easier to others to use, as it 'locks' the iPad / iPod into a single app, bypassing the lock screen and preventing the home button from escaping the app. So anyone can pick up the device and it looks like a remote... No guessing about which app to launch or accidentally exiting it.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Power Member

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Current using an iPod Touch, but have an iPad mini sitting here that I bought for specifically that purpose. I just have to create new iPad screens for it to work.

I use iRule in conjunction with a Global Cache GC-100 and iTach to relay the IR commands to a few pieces, RS232 to the projector and Oppo BD player, and direct IP control of the Integra preamp and my DirecTV boxes.

The "Guided Access" feature of iOS6 makes this much easier to others to use, as it 'locks' the iPad / iPod into a single app, bypassing the lock screen and preventing the home button from escaping the app. So anyone can pick up the device and it looks like a remote... No guessing about which app to launch or accidentally exiting it.

Jeff
Thanks for the heads up on Guided Access... cool feature, I didn't know about it. This can help the kids on task and keep them out of Netflix
Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #6

Oct 2008

This is great! Thank you, I'm going to start looking into all of these.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Jeff
Hey, saw that you had the GC-100! I just bought one off of eBay and I don't think that this one ships with any IR emitters. You don't happen to know if you need to buy an emitter for each device you plan to control. So one device per 3.5mm output, or is it possible to run several devices with a single IR blaster. I'm not sure if the gateways in the GC-100 allow that. I'm just tyring to figure out what to purchase along with the GC-100?
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector + 100" 1.1 gain screen || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)

http://letterboxd.com/flatnate/
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #8

Dec 2009

The iRule solution has the iPad Mini Wi-Fi 16GB model written all over it. Think that would work nicely as the iPad Mini is feather light and the form factor is perfect for something you'd use as a dedicated remote.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #9

Aug 2012
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
Hey, saw that you had the GC-100! I just bought one off of eBay and I don't think that this one ships with any IR emitters. You don't happen to know if you need to buy an emitter for each device you plan to control. So one device per 3.5mm output, or is it possible to run several devices with a single IR blaster. I'm not sure if the gateways in the GC-100 allow that. I'm just tyring to figure out what to purchase along with the GC-100?
First, any emitters will work. And yes, the gateways can have multiple devices targeted against them in iRule. You'll probably want to use one emitter per device, though, for best results... You can use a dual/triple-headed emitter if you need more emitters than you have IR outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds1834 View Post
The iRule solution has the iPad Mini Wi-Fi 16GB model written all over it. Think that would work nicely as the iPad Mini is feather light and the form factor is perfect for something you'd use as a dedicated remote.
Yep, 100% agree - which is why there's one sitting here waiting for me to finish some iPad pages for it... At least I've started on them now!

Jeff
Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I use roomie remote and have it installed on my iPad, iPhone, wife's iPhone, kids iPod touch.

I often prefer using the iPhone over the iPad because its more remote sized.

I love roomie.

Roomie has the easy setup you get from a Harmony type remote but the power you get from a custom irule solution (which is far more difficult to use.)
Blu Rays are Forever

Last edited by bhampton; 11-22-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion