COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$13.18
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
El Mariachi / Desperado (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Bankers of God: The Calvi Affair (Blu-ray)
$17.23
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
George Gently, Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$23.19
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
George Gently, Series 1 (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Signal (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
No -- it's the best movie I've seen that uses 3D as part of the storytelling, as opposed to eye candy.
Interesting opinion. What did Nemo do well that most other 3D movies don't?

Personally, I didn't see any interesting 3D story-telling in Nemo. It certainly wasn't bad, but to me, it looked like they just re-rendered the models in 3D. Camera movements and story-boarding were pretty 2D-like, which wasn't unexpected. They didn't do anything special with the 3D, and it didn't heighten the story experience much compared to the 2D, which also isn't necessarily a bad thing. It seemed more like just special treatment for a classic 2D movie.

My current ultimate example of 3D story-telling would be Hugo. I don't think anyone watching in 2D can fully appreciate the tone of the scenes without all the clever pop-outs and striking depth and conversions of old Méliès footage. The way that the characters move in 3D space is great, as are the longer shots and intricate set pieces. Everything DreamWorks does has a big benefit from being seen in 3D as well.
Vizio E3D420VX, 160GB PS3, Sony MDR-DS7500 Headphones

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 02-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Interesting opinion. What did Nemo do well that most other 3D movies don't?

Personally, I didn't see any interesting 3D story-telling in Nemo. It certainly wasn't bad, but to me, it looked like they just re-rendered the models in 3D. Camera movements and story-boarding were pretty 2D-like, which wasn't unexpected. They didn't do anything special with the 3D, and it didn't heighten the story experience much compared to the 2D, which also isn't necessarily a bad thing. It seemed more like just special treatment for a classic 2D movie.

My current ultimate example of 3D story-telling would be Hugo. I don't think anyone watching in 2D can fully appreciate the tone of the scenes without all the clever pop-outs and striking depth and conversions of old Méliès footage. The way that the characters move in 3D space is great, as are the longer shots and intricate set pieces. Everything DreamWorks does has a big benefit from being seen in 3D as well.
Agreed re Hugo, it is probably the only film I have seen where the 3D was used to tell the story.

As for Nemo supposedly doing it. How does a film that was totally conceived & created in 2D 10 years ago use 3D to tell the story 10 years later, when nothing about the film was changed apart from a re-render into 3D.....
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Agreed re Hugo, it is probably the only film I have seen where the 3D was used to tell the story.

As for Nemo supposedly doing it. How does a film that was totally conceived & created in 2D 10 years ago use 3D to tell the story 10 years later, when nothing about the film was changed apart from a re-render into 3D.....
What was changed was Nemo's world. Living space via 3D opening up to a universe-like environmental feeling. The 2D version may have been created about "10 years" ago, but it's is about 100 years later since "Méliès footage" was made and converted for Hugo's production.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:

Agreed. There's a big difference between a movie conceived with 2D thinking and shot or converted with 3D depth and a movie that's originally story-boarded to use 3D space effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
What was changed was Nemo's world. Living space via 3D opening up to a universe-like environmental feeling.
Good point. The re-render certainly made Nemo's world look more real, and consequently made the movie feel more immersive. That probably does heighten the experience a little bit. They did an awesome job tailoring the depth for theaters.

Still, I feel that in comparison with even something like Brave, Nemo doesn't use 3D space as effectively. Characters and objects don't move forward and backward on the Z-plane for dramatic effect nearly as much. Instead, the camera moves as they move, or if they do move on the z-plane, it's usually meaningless and nothing connected to the story-telling. It looks like a 2D movie with nice 3D depth.
Vizio E3D420VX, 160GB PS3, Sony MDR-DS7500 Headphones
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #25

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

My choice of movies for utilizing 3d...

For "pop-out" attention-grabbing:

- A Very Harold & Kumar 3d Christmas

For a "natural", well-balanced 3d presentation:

- Most CGI animated features I've seen, especially UP, and THE ADVENTURES OF TIN TIN.

Biggest surprise:

- The Avengers 3d. I wasn't impressed in theaters, but at home, on my TV, it was quite an improvement.

Everyone mentions AVATAR, but I will be dead honest and say that I don't find it impressive. As a movie or for the 3d. I give props for the marketing, and also that Cameron decided to film it as a MOVIE first, and let the 3d just be a natural byproduct to the story he wanted to tell.

I anticipate that my favorite 3d bluray is going to be LIFE OF PI once I have it in my grubby little paws.
I guarantee that will be an awesome 3d flick.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #26

Nov 2008

Good or Best 3D to me, is NOT the "pop" out. It is a natural feel to the movie as if you're witnessing it with your own two eyes. I don't know why people have said Avatar doesn't have enough "pop" cause it has more than I'd like.
My favs are:
Step Up Revolution
The Amazing Spiderman
Tangled (or probably any Pixar movie)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Agreed. There's a big difference between a movie conceived with 2D thinking and shot or converted with 3D depth and a movie that's originally story-boarded to use 3D space effectively.

Good point. The re-render certainly made Nemo's world look more real, and consequently made the movie feel more immersive. That probably does heighten the experience a little bit. They did an awesome job tailoring the depth for theaters.

Still, I feel that in comparison with even something like Brave, Nemo doesn't use 3D space as effectively. Characters and objects don't move forward and backward on the Z-plane for dramatic effect nearly as much. Instead, the camera moves as they move, or if they do move on the z-plane, it's usually meaningless and nothing connected to the story-telling. It looks like a 2D movie with nice 3D depth.
From the sheltering confines of the anemone, to the vibrant coral reef, to the vast and frightening open ocean by the "dropoff", the distance between a killer shark (and later a giant whale), to the prison of the aquarium, the dangers of mines and jellyfish and the joys of riding a current, space and spatial relations are a major storytelling element of Nemo and how it was staged. The 3D takes what was already there and amplifies it and enhances it. As good as it already was, it's simply a much better film in 3D.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
From the sheltering confines of the anemone, to the vibrant coral reef, to the vast and frightening open ocean by the "dropoff", the distance between a killer shark (and later a giant whale), to the prison of the aquarium, the dangers of mines and jellyfish and the joys of riding a current, space and spatial relations are a major storytelling element of Nemo and how it was staged. The 3D takes what was already there and amplifies it and enhances it. As good as it already was, it's simply a much better film in 3D.
I'm not having a go at you, I love Nemo it is a fantastic film. But after seeing both Sammy films the quality of the 3D in Nemo just pales by comparison. What could've (should've) been a similar amazing 3D experience just does not happen. The ocean environments in Sammy go on for miles, the ones in Nemo have barely any depth what so ever. While I love Nemo as a film (and it is certainly better than both Sammy's as a movie) the 3D is not even in the same boat (pun intended.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #29
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
What was changed was Nemo's world. Living space via 3D opening up to a universe-like environmental feeling. The 2D version may have been created about "10 years" ago, but it's is about 100 years later since "Méliès footage" was made and converted for Hugo's production.
I wasn't talking about the Melies footage, that is what 1 minute of the film?

The entire film is made better by the fantastic 3D. You can't even compare the depth and environments of Hugo with those of Nemo as there just is no contest. Nemo has average depth at best and NO popouts whatsoever when the material is clearly screaming out for it in a lot of scenes. I found myself almost willing things out of the screen in Nemo, but it just never happened and it should've on many occasions.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
I'm not having a go at you, I love Nemo it is a fantastic film. But after seeing both Sammy films the quality of the 3D in Nemo just pales by comparison. What could've (should've) been a similar amazing 3D experience just does not happen. The ocean environments in Sammy go on for miles, the ones in Nemo have barely any depth what so ever. While I love Nemo as a film (and it is certainly better than both Sammy's as a movie) the 3D is not even in the same boat (pun intended.
Well, haven't seen the Sammy films, never even heard of them until this thread. Definitely on my radar now, though.

Nemo is a film about agoraphobia and claustrophobia -- it's about one character afraid to leave a space, and another character afraid not to. The film is a collision between these two ideas, and the 3D amplifies it. Again, as good as it was in 2003, it's dramatically better in 3D, as these concepts are now even more effectively presented.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #31
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Well, haven't seen the Sammy films, never even heard of them until this thread. Definitely on my radar now, though.
Ahhhhh that explains it. Sorry I assumed you had. I'm sure your opinion on Nemo's 3D will change greatly once you have seen the Sammys.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #32

Nov 2010
Trowbridge UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L. View Post
You can rent Sammy's Adventures on VUDU for like $5 or so, and then purchase it flat out to own forever for $17.99 if you have a PS3 or some other method to watch it that way. I just bought it that way, and it works just perfectly. The 3D effects are so amazing and I, also, highly recommend watching it.
But its such low bitrate that way, much better to view the disc version surely ?

Last edited by Daytrader; 02-11-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #33
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
But its such low bitrate that way, much better to view the disc version surely ?
I tried to watch Sammy 2 in low res and gave up after 15 minutes.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #34

Oct 2012

James Cameron's Titanic, not only are you getting, Titanic, but you're getting astonishing 3D. This is a rare case where 3D actually adds a lot to the film, the scenes where Rose is running down long corridors looking for help are so atmospheric and claustrophobic in 3D!
To Trade/Sell:
Ice Age 3 (with slipcase & digital copy)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (with slipcase & digital copy)
Die Hard 4.0
Green Zone Steelbook
All are UK mint condition, sealed & brand new blu rays.

Need: Titanic German & French Steelbooks!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #35
Power Member

Mar 2010

Best Doco for me would be Cane Toads 3D.

Nice little quirky, fun and informative movie and the 3D and PQ is reference quality
Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #36

Mar 2013
Australia

Quote:
Best Doco for me would be Cane Toads 3D.

Nice little quirky, fun and informative movie and the 3D and PQ is reference quality
Cane Toads was quite fun, I did find though that it was the only 3D film I've seen that if your not sitting back far enough the strain on your eyes is painful.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #37
Power Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo94 View Post
James Cameron's Titanic, not only are you getting, Titanic, but you're getting astonishing 3D. This is a rare case where 3D actually adds a lot to the film, the scenes where Rose is running down long corridors looking for help are so atmospheric and claustrophobic in 3D!
Agreed. I also love the scene where Rose slips off the edge of the boat and is hanging over the dark ocean. Awesome.

I just cant narrow down my view of what I think is the best (too many candidates) to one movie or doc. The ones that come to mind:

Tron: Legacy
Drive Angry
Prometheus
Hugo
Journey To The Center Of The Earth
Ultimate Wave:Tahiti
Titanic
Life Of Pi
The Hobbit
Born To Be Wild
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

Last edited by Taygan315; 04-12-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies