Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #6021
Suspended

Jul 2013

Im all for story and atmosphere over gore/action for no reason but this movie could of used some violence/gore to add a bit of excitement. The scene where the one guy
[Show spoiler]starts mutating and starts bashing people and throwing them around was actually pretty damn cool and I was like "alright maybe things are gonna start happening now" and as soon as it started it was over a second later and back to more boring nonsense.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #6022

Sep 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I agree with you 100% here. It's true that all films have their issues, whether they are logic issues, continuity, effects, acting, or whatever. I mentioned Moon but I know there could be some issues in that film too regarding logic if you try to find them. But for me, Prometheus has far too many issues, not just as a stand-alone film, but also how it doesn't properly fit into the Alien universe. The fact is the Architects are not what most people expected the Space Jockey to be.
[Show spoiler]The size is off drastically, and the Architects are humanoid - far from the bizarre skeletal remains we saw in Alien.
That's the biggest issue I have with it. The other issues - weak characters, confusing motivations, poor decisions made throughout the film by various characters, my issues with the med-unit scene - that's all just heaped on top of the big issue I have - they didn't do justice to the Space Jockey. I was perfectly happy wondering for the rest of my life what the Space Jockey was. It was a mystery. If they are going to bother explaining the mystery, it better be good. And it wasn't.

Engineers, not Architects
On Pre-order:
Captain Phillips (Steelbook)
Iron Man 3 (Steelbook)
Olympus Has Fallen (Steelbook)
Rush (Steelbook)
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #6023
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddinoff View Post
Im all for story and atmosphere over gore/action for no reason but this movie could of used some violence/gore to add a bit of excitement. The scene where the one guy
[Show spoiler]starts mutating and starts bashing people and throwing them around was actually pretty damn cool and I was like "alright maybe things are gonna start happening now" and as soon as it started it was over a second later and back to more boring nonsense.
Yeah! Let's kill a few people!
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #6024
Special Member

May 2010
Denmark

When I saw it the first time I was really disappointed. It seems like the movie had SOOOO much potential, but a lousy script is really the culprit.
I hope they don't let Damon Lindelof get near the script for the sequel!
Hands off the compression button, music industry!
Hands off the DNR button, Blu-Ray producers!
Films are supposed to have grain!

https://twitter.com/Kristofferabild
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #6025
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Tel ya what - there isnt a movie that exists that has NO logic gaps, questionable plot devices, or "why didnt they just xxxxxx" moments. Even the films you mention surely have some of that.

Prometheus does too, fair enough. But it doesnt take away from the experience and enjoyment of the film, for me anyways. Just saying - dont act like some movies are perfectly logical in every way possible and some are not. Doesnt work that way. never has, never will.

Sadly this is more true nowadays but even back in 1968 there were plenty of people that were bored and/or irritated with 2001. Noir films and films that dont have traditionally narrative structures will always hev a large number of detractors. Its no skin off my back. And, honestly, I find some of the noir/old films very boring and pointless myself.

there's a difference between a film having some logic gaps... and huh? moments and a giant logic gap that has a few moments of film in it... which is what Prometheus is
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #6026
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

I really like Prometheus. I consider myself a fan of the film.

And it does indeed got some major plot holes. The fans that refuse to see this are only deluding themselves. Just admit it, there's dumb s*** in this movie. It's okay to still like it while knowing this. Your ego does not have to take a hit whenever a hater points out the obvious--it's not an attack against you. These people have good reasons to dislike this film. Let them and their opinions be. There's nothing wrong with you liking it and them disliking it.

It's not as deep of a film as you claim it is, nor is it as shallow as the haters want to believe. It strives for great things and falls short. Yes, it's disappointing to fans and haters alike.

And I still like it and am glad it is in my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
I'm to the point now that I won't go see anything he's involved with. He's like the touch of death to movies. If he were a professional movie assassin he'd be the world's most sought after movie ninja.
I mostly come out at night...mostly.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #6027
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
When I saw it the first time I was really disappointed. It seems like the movie had SOOOO much potential, but a lousy script is really the culprit.
Watch the making of documentary on the 3D bluray. Scott was a major problem with the film. He was constantly changing his mind. His and his staff's ideas would go through the normal processes, and a plan was in place then he'd walk in and change his mind the day of the ideas implementation. This went on ad nauseam. That's no way to run a production. And they weren't even good ideas. You can see how he was getting more and more lost in the wilderness as the production continued.

Yes, Lindelof jacked up the script, but Scott ****ed up almost every thing else. Except the beauty and production value of the film. It's a mess of a story, but it's a gorgeous film with an amazing production value!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #6028
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reubania View Post
Engineers, not Architects
Oops, you're right. My mistake there.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #6029
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouCoupDinkyDau View Post
I really like Prometheus. I consider myself a fan of the film.

And it does indeed got some major plot holes. The fans that refuse to see this are only deluding themselves. Just admit it, there's dumb s*** in this movie. It's okay to still like it while knowing this. Your ego does not have to take a hit whenever a hater points out the obvious--it's not an attack against you. These people have good reasons to dislike this film. Let them and their opinions be. There's nothing wrong with you liking it and them disliking it.

It's not as deep of a film as you claim it is, nor is it as shallow as the haters want to believe. It strives for great things and falls short. Yes, it's disappointing to fans and haters alike.

And I still like it and am glad it is in my collection.

I'm to the point now that I won't go see anything he's involved with. He's like the touch of death to movies. If he were a professional movie assassin he'd be the world's most sought after movie ninja.
Very nicely said and well put. And I agree about Lindelof - he shouldn't be allowed near a script ever again. He's ultimately the reason Prometheus ended up like it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Watch the making of documentary on the 3D bluray. Scott was a major problem with the film. He was constantly changing his mind. His and his staff's ideas would go through the normal processes, and a plan was in place then he'd walk in and change his mind the day of the ideas implementation. This went on ad nauseam. That's no way to run a production. And they weren't even good ideas. You can see how he was getting more and more lost in the wilderness as the production continued.

Yes, Lindelof jacked up the script, but Scott ****ed up almost every thing else. Except the beauty and production value of the film. It's a mess of a story, but it's a gorgeous film with an amazing production value!

Interesting. I think I'm going to watch that doc. I'd love to get a better idea of just what went wrong with this film. That's part of what fascinates me with this film. The production values are very strong, and though I totally hate the script, something tells me this had seeds for a much better film. I've wondered how Scott could have allowed this to go so wrong.

Last edited by mar3o; 02-28-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #6030
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Why don't we start picking apart Blade Runner for plot holes too?

I just don't get it. Much like the backlash against The Counselor, it seems like there is a cult of blindly hating Prometheus. It isn't a masterpiece, but I have no idea what plot holes people are always talking about. The only part of the film I though that could have been slightly improved was giving more reason for the scientist to touch the snake-like alien. There was a deleted scene that established his curiosity much better that should have been left in the film. Other than that, I think Prometheus is a great example of science fiction as it presents the audience with questions about bigger concepts and has some incredible production design as well as some exciting action. True, the film does not delve into the concepts very deeply, but neither do recognized classics of the genre like Blade Runner, 2001, etc. In these films, the directors wisely realize that it is up to the audience to be an active participant the story. The enjoyment of these kind of movies is not just in sitting and watching "entertainment" but in analyzing and discussing the themes and ideas afterword.

A perfect example would be Blade Runner. I teach a high school film course and I showed Blade Runner in class. The kids had no idea what was happening the entire time. However, once we started the group discussion and analyzed a lot of the dialogue and scenes, in particular the things that were NOT explicitly stated (for example, why is it always dark and raining in Los Angeles? This isn't answered directly in the film, but all of the information is there for those that want to find the answer), THAT is when the film really came alive for my students and a lot of them came to say it was one of the best they have seen.

I think this video does a great job of clearing up a lot of the supposed problems with Prometheus...

They Live. We Sleep.

Last edited by PrestonXI; 02-28-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #6031
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

It's not just the plot holes. Why can't people understand that many fans didn't like what they did with the Space Jockey? They turned the skeletal remains of a gigantic, mysterious, totally alien creature designed by Giger into
[Show spoiler]a slightly-larger-than-man humanoid in a spacesuit
. That right there killed it for me. All the rest - the stupid characters (all of them), the illogical decisions made throughout, the plot holes - they're all just more baggage to weigh the film down even more.

The movie has large ideas but the ideas are very poorly realized, and I'm not sure these ideas ever should have been brought into the Alien universe.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #6032
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Exiled on Main Street

Quote:
It's not just the plot holes. Why can't people understand that many fans didn't like what they did with the Space Jockey? They turned the skeletal remains of a gigantic, mysterious, totally alien creature designed by Giger into
. That right there killed it for me. All the rest - the stupid characters (all of them), the illogical decisions made throughout, the plot holes - they're all just more baggage to weigh the film down even more.

The movie has large ideas but the ideas are very poorly realized, and I'm not sure these ideas ever should have been brought into the Alien universe.
"Jesus, what's with all the greed here? It's unattractive." - Uncle Jack
Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #6033
Power Member

Oct 2008
Land Of Lincoln, USA Blu-ray SteelBooks™ (96)

I bought Prometheus last year and finally watched it tonight. It was ok. I didn't totally like it or totally dislike it. It was better than 2001. (I saw some comments mentioning that movie). I hated 2001! I can at least watch Prometheus again.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:22 AM   #6034
Special Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
it's not just the plot holes. Why can't people understand that many fans didn't like what they did with the space jockey? They turned the skeletal remains of a gigantic, mysterious, totally alien creature designed by giger into

The movie has large ideas but the ideas are very poorly realized, and i'm not sure these ideas ever should have been brought into the alien universe.

^ Every word --- The Truth! ^
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #6035
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

I think I might watch Prometheus later on.
Currently: Playing:Battlefield 4/ Ryse Son of Rome/ Dead Rising 3/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition
Old 03-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #6036
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:

I am sorry you didn't like the movie and I've only seen it once so I'm not defending it - but this space jockey BS ... boo hoo hoo.

I mean, get real. In the first place, science tells us that, because of gravitational effects over time for one, larger beings are unlikely - especially ones with developed brains. Secondly, finding out that there are advanced beings who look like us, approximately, would be a far more striking and unsettling experience for humankind - raising serious, primordial questions about who we are and where we came from. Which ties in with, thirdly, the ancient aliens concept that there are "pictures" of spacemen, in spacesuits, all over the planet - which modern man has dismissed as "primitive art". "Your" reaction (all of those who felt that way) heightens our modern-day primitiveness (as, in a Chaplinesque way, does the idiot behavior those human astronauts in the film) - just like the "primitive", non-technological humans who couldn't separate aliens from their technology and so thought them to be Gods. Or, in other words, to borrow from The Beatles : "Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about."
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #6037

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I am sorry you didn't like the movie and I've only seen it once so I'm not defending it - but this space jockey BS ... boo hoo hoo.

I mean, get real. In the first place, science tells us that, because of gravitational effects over time for one, larger beings are unlikely - especially ones with developed brains. Secondly, finding out that there are advanced beings who look like us, approximately, would be a far more striking and unsettling experience for humankind - raising serious, primordial questions about who we are and where we came from. Which ties in with, thirdly, the ancient aliens concept that there are "pictures" of spacemen, in spacesuits, all over the planet - which modern man has dismissed as "primitive art". "Your" reaction (all of those who felt that way) heightens our modern-day primitiveness (as, in a Chaplinesque way, does the idiot behavior those human astronauts in the film) - just like the "primitive", non-technological humans who couldn't separate aliens from their technology and so thought them to be Gods. Or, in other words, to borrow from The Beatles : "Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about."
I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with Memphis on this one, Bob
Old 03-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #6038
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Exiled on Main Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcards View Post
I bought Prometheus last year and finally watched it tonight. It was ok. I didn't totally like it or totally dislike it. It was better than 2001. (I saw some comments mentioning that movie). I hated 2001! I can at least watch Prometheus again.
Oooooh, you might go to hell for that one.
"Jesus, what's with all the greed here? It's unattractive." - Uncle Jack
Old 03-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #6039
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy Lugosi View Post
Oooooh, you might go to hell for that one.
I like Prometheus a lot more than most but comparing it with 2001 is rather silly!
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 03-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #6040
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012

Mission to Mars is better than Prometheus...does that mean it's better than 2001?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America