Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$27.37
Home for the Holidays (Blu-ray)
$11.88
The Silence of the Lambs (Blu-ray)
$30.37
The Outsiders: The Complete Novel (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dreamcatcher (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
An Actor's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$27.37
Prep & Landing / Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice (Blu-ray)
$8.99
The Miracle Worker (Blu-ray)
$13.88
Opera (Blu-ray)
$18.00
Person of Interest: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.20
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-27-2017, 03:17 AM   #461

May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensuitcase View Post
Anyone with a direct link how to mod my Oppo BDP 103? Thank you. My Seiko region free just has horrible sound.
http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=26
Old 10-29-2017, 02:39 AM   #462

Feb 2016

So I'm looking for a good region free Blu-ray player that plays Blu-rays, 4K UHD Blu-rays, 3D Blu-rays, and DVDs to go with the LG OLED656P that I also plan to purchase. I have been looking at the brand OPPO, but I am curious to hear what you guys recommend to me!
Old 10-29-2017, 03:39 AM   #463
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

I'm going to say the OPPO should be your 1st and 2nd if not 3rd choice esp with the LG panel. I'm not sure any other region free UHD player has DV compatibility yet. I'm not sure the Samsung and SOny UHD players can be updated and the LG970 that has DV (edit -- just found a Region free version, but no reviews yet so an unknown quantity).

Region Free Oppo using the DIY plug in module isn't going to be that much expensive than the other alternatives I'm aware of

Last edited by hariseldon; 10-29-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #464
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

I could use some advice. My Seiki is failing so I need a new region-free blu-ray player (one with 3D support), so this will be my first time buying a modded player. Looking at the 220 site, I see several in my price range (under $200):

Sony BDP-S6700 Region Free 3D Blu-Ray Player with Wi-Fi

Plays Region A Blu-Ray (Regions B & C Optional)
Firmware can be updated via internet at any time doesn't affect regional codeing
Blu-ray Region switching - 1 Button SUPER Fast & Easy
Works With Any Voltage (110 volts to 240 volts)
Internal Pal / NTSC Conversion

LG BP550 110-240 volts Region Free Blu-Ray Player:

Region A Blu-Ray (Regions B & C Optional $40)
Blu-ray Zone A, Zone B, and Zone C
Firmware can be updated via internet at any time doesn't affect regional codeing
Blu-ray Region switching - 1 Button SUPER Fast & Easy
Full NTSC/PAL Conversion Built In
110-240 volts

I also see the Sony BDP-S5500 which is listed as new, and the Sony BDP-S6700.

Sounds to me like any of these should be able to play anything and output 50Hz/PAL material no problem to US 60 Hz sets. According to the notes the players can receive firmware updates without risk to region ability. My LG UHD set only accepts 60Hz signals, not 50Hz, so I need to make sure the player can output 50Hz/PAL extras as 60Hz.

Any recommendations of one over the others? I've never owned a Sony before. I'm happy with my LG TV and microwave, and the LG players are a bit cheaper in price.

I also see there's a thread that suggests buying an LG player from Amazon.uk to guarantee no UK playback issues:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=297876

But of course that means only UK discs would be playable and I'd need to keep my region-A player connected too. Is there any reason I would want to do that over buying a region-free player from 220?

Last edited by mar3o; 10-30-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #465
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Regarding above, Are there newer units available from 220 that are 3D capable around the $200 range? I don't know what the current players are, so I would rather buy a new model if possible, rather than an older discontinued model.

I'd like to avoid Samsung as I have had nothing but bad experiences from their players, and since my previous Panasonic player died in less than 2 years, I'm not a huge fan of theirs lately.

EDIT: Okay, on the other thread I hear I should avoid the Sony S6500, as it has undefeatable DNR baked in. So I guess I might end up with an LG. How are their players? My Seiki made a ton of noise spinning the discs even during playback.

Last edited by mar3o; 10-30-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #466
Special Member

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Regarding above, Are there newer units available from 220 that are 3D capable around the $200 range? I don't know what the current players are, so I would rather buy a new model if possible, rather than an older discontinued model.

I'd like to avoid Samsung as I have had nothing but bad experiences from their players, and since my previous Panasonic player died in less than 2 years, I'm not a huge fan of theirs lately.

EDIT: Okay, on the other thread I hear I should avoid the Sony S6500, as it has undefeatable DNR baked in. So I guess I might end up with an LG. How are their players? My Seiki made a ton of noise spinning the discs even during playback.
I don't know why is he saying that "the baked in DNR thing ruining the picture" but I can tell you I have the S6500 and it is as good as any other player I've tried before, and it is great for 3D!!
TVs: Mitsubishi WD65C9 + 3DC-1000 Kit, Mitsubishi WD82738
HT: Onkyo HT-S9400 THX 7.1
Bluray/DVD: Sony BDP-S6500(Multi region), Oppo DV-980H
Gaming: PS3 60GB 1st Gen., PS4 Launch Edition, PSVR Bundle, PS4 Pro
Streaming: ChromeCast, Roku 2 XS
Old 11-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #467
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
I don't know why is he saying that "the baked in DNR thing ruining the picture" but I can tell you I have the S6500 and it is as good as any other player I've tried before, and it is great for 3D!!
The screenshots posted in the other thread definitely show the player is forcing some kind of noise reduction.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #468

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
I'm going to say the OPPO should be your 1st and 2nd if not 3rd choice esp with the LG panel. I'm not sure any other region free UHD player has DV compatibility yet. I'm not sure the Samsung and SOny UHD players can be updated and the LG970 that has DV (edit -- just found a Region free version, but no reviews yet so an unknown quantity).

Region Free Oppo using the DIY plug in module isn't going to be that much expensive than the other alternatives I'm aware of
Do you think I should go with the BDP-203 or the BDP-205? I've seen the two devices compared but I still don't know which one to get.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #469
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadams12pack View Post
Do you think I should go with the BDP-203 or the BDP-205? I've seen the two devices compared but I still don't know which one to get.
Unless you are majorly into the high def audio formats and major audiophile, I;d say go with the 203. My hearing is 6 decades old and counting so the major advantages of the 205 are lost on me.

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-14-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #470

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Unless you are majorly instead the high def audio formats and major audiophile, I;d say go with the 203. My hearing is 6 decades old and counting so the major advantages of the 205 are lost on me.
Yeah, I was planning to buy either speakers or a soundbar anyway, so best I stick with the 203.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #471
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadams12pack View Post
Yeah, I was planning to buy either speakers or a soundbar anyway, so best I stick with the 203.
If I had the interest in audio from 35 years ago I might consider it, but I just not interested in going back to mega quality separates and top of the line speakers. I sold my Fosgate Preamp, Acurus Amp and separate DA blah blah -- a higher end Denon or Marantz receiver and old Paradigm speakers are probably it for a while.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders