Best iTunes Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Battlestar Galactica, Season 1 (iTunes)$4.99 The Choirboys (iTunes)$4.99 Black Sails, Season 1 (iTunes)$4.99 Beasts of the Southern Wild (iTunes)$4.99 Midway (iTunes)$4.99
The Missing, Season 1 (iTunes)$4.99 Power, Season 1 (iTunes)$4.99 Punisher: War Zone (iTunes)$4.99 Castles Made of Snow (iTunes)$2.99 Ash vs Evil Dead, Season 1 (iTunes)$4.99
House, Season 2 (iTunes)$19.99
House, Season 8 (iTunes)$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #5961

Nov 2017

Americans seem to pay much more for broadband than the UK. Do the companies there have some sort of monopoly? My contract cost around £400 for fibre plus the phone line rental. Plus it came with a prepaid credit card as a gift for new customers, bringing the total down to approx £250/$329.

It will be finishing next month, so I will be switching to another provider to avoid higher out-of-contract charges and other companies also give gifts for new customers. The broadband providers here are all reliable and as long you get fibre, then the speeds should stay consistent around 30-50mpbs (depending on location) for the cheapest package.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #5962
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Yes, I also pay $100+/mo but I have FTTH Internet and IPTV. I feel with Streaming and Cloud Services, everyone is going to need Fiber. So no one has answered my question. Is Fiber going to be at the Top of your List?
On the top of their list of priorities if they are moving, or as the specific reason why they are moving in the first place? Most likely no in most instances. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the idea of that being the focus of the average person's move is rather ridiculous.
Say "no" to Samsung Blu-Ray players. Say "yes" to a whole lot more.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (11-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #5963
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

seeing how people are experiencing movies dropping from HD to SD on VUDU and Movies Anywhere......I'm super pumped I'm very very pro-physical media.
Blu-Benny’s 7.1 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb PS4 500 gb• Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Hold the Door!!"
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (11-14-2017), Vilya (Yesterday)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #5964
Special Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Yes, I also pay $100+/mo but I have FTTH Internet and IPTV. I feel with Streaming and Cloud Services, everyone is going to need Fiber. So no one has answered my question. Is Fiber going to be at the Top of your List?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba111 View Post
No. As Dynamo of Eternia said, most people move for different reasons.

If you think people will change geographical locations just for faster Internet, you are just as disconnected from reality as Steedeel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
On the top of their list of priorities if they are moving, or as the specific reason why they are moving in the first place? Most likely no in most instances. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the idea of that being the focus of the average person's move is rather ridiculous.
Moving for more Bandwidth on your Internet might sound ridiculous, but a High Speed Internet is used for more than Streaming Movies and TV Shows. I have been Retired for a while, but I used my Internet to work from home accessing my Systems and all I had to do was forward my calls to my Home Office. If you read my prior Post, in one move all I had was Dial-Up but that didn't stop me I was part of the Internet Group to research and acquire High Speed Providers. We found TWC and Verizon FiOS. So don't say it can't be done, because I have done it!

Last edited by alchav21; 11-15-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #5965

Aug 2016

You can get 10gb with copper. Why the need for fiber?

/poke.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:00 AM   #5966
Special Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
seeing how people are experiencing movies dropping from HD to SD on VUDU and Movies Anywhere......I'm super pumped I'm very very pro-physical media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCFan View Post
Are you looking forward to rebuying movies on blu-ray that you own digitally?
These Disc guys are just rationalizing on how to access their Movies, but like I said High Speed is used more than just for Movies and TV Shows. Don't be Super Pumped until you have Fiber. Disc might work for now, but everything is going Digital including your Electricity and Pills! You don't have to move for Faster Internet, but you might want to put it at the Top of your List!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:04 AM   #5967
Special Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipnet View Post
You can get 10gb with copper. Why the need for fiber?
Is that Symmetrical, Copper is Obsolete....Fiber is The Future!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:30 AM   #5968
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013

Quote:
I will admit it's annoying. Plus the whole harassment thing and studios removing the accused work thing makes a strong case for physical media, even though in this case i'm not sure these things were on disc anyway.

I've still been more digital lately though since space is such a huge issue.

It's mainly buying my absolute favorites on disc and movies i liked but didnt love digitally.

I have room for like 7 more movies(with 3 pre-ordered and one on hold at BN lol) , but replacing my favorite Nolan movies or T2 etc is just a swap and not encroaching on my limited space
Old 11-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #5969
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Once again, Dynamo nails it for me and bubba111 hammers it home. I utilize both, but if we moved it would be for one of the many reasons that were mentioned above. Right now I'm trying to encourage my wife to pursue something new and stop spinning her wheels with her current position. Now whether that is closer to home or out of state, who knows? Regardless, internet is the furthest from my mind alchav21. Despite me utilizing both BD and digital.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?

Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #5970
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007

Quote:
Moving for more Bandwidth on your Internet might sound ridiculous, but a High Speed Internet is used for more than Streaming Movies and TV Shows. I have been Retired for a while, but I used my Internet to work from home accessing my Systems and all I had to do was forward my calls to my Home Office. If you read my prior Post, in one move all I had was Dial-Up but that didn't stop me I was part of the Internet Group to research and acquire High Speed Providers. We found TWC and Verizon FiOS. So don't say it can't be done, because I have done it!
Nobody is saying that it can't be done (how the F--- did you even get that out of what we've been saying?). It's just that it's not going to be that level of a priority for most people. If someone has to move for a job and don't have the option to work from home, then they are going to base their move more on things like their commute to work and the cost of housing in that general area.

Also I don't know how long ago your particular move took place, but these days most areas that are reasonably populated have some form of high speed internet (meaning NOT dial up), but not necessarily at the full speed needed to forever and always stream an HD or UHD movie from start to finish with absolutely no drops in quality at all at any point in the movie (not even for a split second) consistently pretty much every time they watch a movie or show via streaming.

Quote:
These Disc guys are just rationalizing on how to access their Movies
Says the guy who thinks that people should base moving from one place to another completely or at least significantly around internet speeds available.

No one on the physical media side of this argument is advocating for anything nearly as ludicrous as that.

Even with how over the top Steedeel can get with some of his fears of what the future holds, that still doesn't come across quite as crazy as what you are suggesting IMO.

Quote:
but like I said High Speed is used more than just for Movies and TV Shows.
Of course it is. My point is simply that even with having internet of a reasonable high speed, it's possible to accomplish most of those uses without it having a major impact (i.e. online gaming). But at the same time it's possible for it to dip just enough here and there to be something of a distraction when watching a movie or TV show.

Though I buy movies and TV shows on physical media, I do have subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu, and stream with them. They are otherwise decent services, and I like Netflix in particular for some of it's original content.

But that said, when I go to watch something, at minimum when starting a movie or show, it initially starts out at a lower quality and take a couple of minutes to fully "catch up" to get full quality. And there might be occasional dips here and there. Most of the time I am getting the full quality. It can be somewhat distracting, but I accept these imperfections since these are services that result in me accessing a lot of content for a low monthly price.

But when I'm flat out buying individual movies and TV seasons, I don't want those same issues, not even for a split second while watching them. So I'm going to opt for physical media since that will pretty much guarantee me the consistent experience that I want. For any titles that include them, I still redeem the digital codes for when/if I'm ever in a situation where those come in handy (presumably while traveling or something), but I see no reason to stop buying physical media in favor of digital distribution. Getting up to swap out a disc occasionally is not that big of a deal.

Quote:
Don't be Super Pumped until you have Fiber. Disc might work for now, but everything is going Digital including your Electricity and Pills!
I don't even know where to begin with this asinine statement. You've actually managed to top the stupidity of your "local server, here we come!" comment from a while back, where people here were talking about local servers (which are someone's personal server in their own home that they've downloaded/ripped their content to), and you were absurdly interpreting it as being a server provided by the services provider that was outside of, but near one's home.

Talk about exercises of mental gymnastics.

Quote:
You don't have to move for Faster Internet, but you might want to put it at the Top of your List!
That is absurd for the reasons that I and others here have already pointed out. For someone who claims to be so forward thinking with being on board with digital distribution and such, you are surprisingly out of touch on many, many levels.

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; 11-15-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (11-16-2017), Vilya (Yesterday)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #5971
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

Quote:
These Disc guys are just rationalizing on how to access their Movies, but like I said High Speed is used more than just for Movies and TV Shows. Don't be Super Pumped until you have Fiber. Disc might work for now, but everything is going Digital including your Electricity and Pills! You don't have to move for Faster Internet, but you might want to put it at the Top of your List!
at this.

I still don't buy that digital/streaming is going to be the only thing in the future. I live in WI......if you drive an hour north of where I live, there are people who can't even get internet through the cable company....that's how remote some places are.
Blu-Benny’s 7.1 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb PS4 500 gb• Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Hold the Door!!"
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (11-15-2017), The_Donster (11-16-2017), Vilya (Yesterday)
Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #5972
Special Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Nobody is saying that it can't be done (how the F--- did you even get that out of what we've been saying?). It's just that it's not going to be that level of a priority for most people. If someone has to move for a job and don't have the option to work from home, then they are going to base their move more on things like their commute to work and the cost of housing in that general area.

Also I don't know how long ago your particular move took place, but these days most areas that are reasonably populated have some form of high speed internet (meaning NOT dial up), but not necessarily at the full speed needed to forever and always stream an HD or UHD movie from start to finish with absolutely no drops in quality at all at any point in the movie (not even for a split second) consistently pretty much every time they watch a movie or show via streaming.
Don't get excited, I was talking in general terms that people put obstacles and say it can't be done. You're right people move for various reasons, and usually Internet is far down the list. The move I was talking about was in 2000, and I had Basic DSL in the Bay Area California. I thought most of California had this, and I was wrong only Dial-Up was available in this Community in Palm Desert. I'm sure even now some areas still only have Dial-Up or Basic DSL at 3Mbps. Rural areas are hard to upgrade, but if you are in a decent size Community you can unite the home owners and find a Provider that will give you High Speed Broadband.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:44 AM   #5973
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007

Quote:
The move I was talking about was in 2000
That explains a lot right there.

Old Today, 05:11 AM   #5974
Special Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Quote:
at this.

I still don't buy that digital/streaming is going to be the only thing in the future. I live in WI......if you drive an hour north of where I live, there are people who can't even get internet through the cable company....that's how remote some places are.
I know Digital Electricity and Pills are far fetched, but I have read they are experimenting with them. As for Internet I'm sure there are people still with Dial-Up or Basic DSL. If you read anything people are dropping their Cable TV and going Streaming. Telco's and Cable Companies are buying up Content Providers, and I feel Streaming will be the way they will distribute this information. So Digital/Streaming might not be the only thing, but it will be in high demand.
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #5975
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Quote:
I know Digital Electricity and Pills are far fetched, but I have read they are experimenting with them. As for Internet I'm sure there are people still with Dial-Up or Basic DSL. If you read anything people are dropping their Cable TV and going Streaming. Telco's and Cable Companies are buying up Content Providers, and I feel Streaming will be the way they will distribute this information. So Digital/Streaming might not be the only thing, but it will be in high demand.
OK, dude you need to stop. I don't know what bubble community you live in, but there is no "dropping cable/satellite" (I added that last one because its a reality) for streaming. Both own a large chunk of the internet in some way. You kind of need them to stream or pay through the nose for internet. Not to mention, not all internet services are created equal. Which is what we've been trying to explain to you. You need one of them to sign into some of the cable apps out there. I know I need it when watching the NBC app. I'm also locked out of the Starz app because they and Xfinity had a falling out when they merged Encore into the app because Xfinity isn't one of the providers listed. It is great that your area fulfills your needs, but you've just got to knock it off. Because you are polluting the water and making the case for pro streaming worse with your posts.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?

Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies