Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Kong: Skull Island 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.33
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Spiders 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.88
Ocean Predators 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.98
Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.34
Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.55
Pixels 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.64
Jack the Giant Slayer 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.85
The Last Airbender 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.93
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 10-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

Jun 2011
IL
Default 3D BR Rankings - updated

OK so, here is an updated version of my 3D blu-ray list in 'ranked' form.... it seems the 3DBR forum here has grown a little stale compared to a year or two ago, so I figured I'd add something that maybe will generate some discussion/questions etc. If not, no big loss; I maintain this list on my own anyway and so it's a simple matter of copy/paste!

BTW, is it just me or has a good deal of the 'newness' of 3DBR worn off for those of you like myself that still would say that they really love it? Reason I ask is, I was sure it had worn off a lot for me personally when I went out to get Avatar on 3DBR.....FINALLY....and it just seemed kind of anticlimactic - partly due to the fact that there really IMO wasn't a lot of fanfare over the release to begin with, which was kind of strange. But most of the lack of excitement for me leaves me with what is now a more realistic expectation of what to expect with 3D, and a more balanced approach to what I buy vs. what I do not....so overall I guess it's a good thing, but just seems kind of sad in comparison to when it was new and I was freaking out to get anything new in 3DBR.

Anyway, here's the ranked list... 47 total 3DBRs so far....

BEST OF THE BEST (7)
(BEST/'REFERENCE' 3D + BEST STORY/ACTION)
===========================

1. Avatar
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Tangled
4. Alice in Wonderland
5. Lion King
6. Toy Story 3
7. Transformers 3

AWESOME (10)
(GREAT 3D + GREAT STORY/ACTION)
=======================================

- Hugo
- Kung Fu Panda 2
- Despicable Me
- The Avengers
- Mars Needs Moms
- Gnomeo and Juliet
- Megamind
- How to Train Your Dragon
- Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- Titanic

REALLY GOOD (14)

- Rio
- Toy Story 2
- Puss in Boots
- Captain America
- Coraline
- A Christmas Carol
- Cars 2
- Open Season
- Bolt
- Monsters Vs. Aliens
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
- Meet the Robinsons
- Happy Feet 2
- Born to be Wild

GOOD (6)

- Thor
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Shrek 1
- IMAX Hubble 3D
- Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk

HAVEN'T VIEWED YET (10)

- The Polar Express
- Shrek 2
- Shrek 3
- Shrek 4
- Toy Story 1
- Saw 3D (Saw 7)
- Monster House
- Kung Fu Panda 1
- Tron: Legacy
- Madagascar 3
[Vizio 47" Theater 3D] MY 3DBRs(47): Tangled, Despicable.., Coraline, HowToTrain.., IceAge:Dawn, Gnomeo, Saw7, Bolt, Cloudy.., OpenSeason, Megamind, Shrek 1-4, Alice in.., Rio, A Christmas.., Monsters Vs.., Thor, MarsNeeds.., LionKing, Beauty&.., NightmareBefore.., Pirates4, Cars2, CaptainAm.., Toy Story 1-3, PolarEx.., KungFuPanda1&2, Grand Canyon, MonsterHouse, IMAX Hubble, Transformers3, PussIn.., Tron:Legacy, Hugo, MTRobinsons, HappyFeet2, Titanic, BornToBe.., Avengers, Madagascar3, Avatar
Old 10-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

My opinion:

I would have to move Alice out of the Best of the Best. I think I'm in the minority, but I would put them in your "really good" list. Just not as good as B&tB or Lion King.

I would move Cloudy with a Chance into your Awesome list.

You should import Sammy's Adventures. It would increase your "Best of the Best" list
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Special Member

Aug 2011

So....this is an opinion thread. I'll stick to the "What are your top 3D blu rays" thread.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #4

Jun 2011
IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwerk View Post
My opinion:

I would have to move Alice out of the Best of the Best. I think I'm in the minority, but I would put them in your "really good" list. Just not as good as B&tB or Lion King.

You should import Sammy's Adventures. It would increase your "Best of the Best" list
You know, I've read almost only GREAT comments about 'Sammy's Adventures', so maybe I should import that! It's not like it's coming to the States anytime soon anyway huh? Thanks for the reminder!

I will say that Cloudy with a Chance was damn good 3D-wise....it was borderline 'awesome' for me Your comment on that had me looking back and what titles I put in which category and I realized I have made one big mistake - not having 'A Christmas Carol' in at least the Awesome category - the 3D on that one blew me away! I wasn't expecting it at ALL. It was very intense 3D and made my kids jump more than once, which is rare. I'm VERY much looking forward to seeing that one again very soon as the Christmas season approaches!!!

My post is a bit of a split post - I pasted my faves in there obviously, which is in another thread - but I am very much interested in hearing your thoughts about the '3D burnout effect' for those of us that have been going 100mph to get them all and have recently felt themselves 'chilling out' a LOT in comparison to before. I reckon it has to have happened to a lot of us??
[Vizio 47" Theater 3D] MY 3DBRs(47): Tangled, Despicable.., Coraline, HowToTrain.., IceAge:Dawn, Gnomeo, Saw7, Bolt, Cloudy.., OpenSeason, Megamind, Shrek 1-4, Alice in.., Rio, A Christmas.., Monsters Vs.., Thor, MarsNeeds.., LionKing, Beauty&.., NightmareBefore.., Pirates4, Cars2, CaptainAm.., Toy Story 1-3, PolarEx.., KungFuPanda1&2, Grand Canyon, MonsterHouse, IMAX Hubble, Transformers3, PussIn.., Tron:Legacy, Hugo, MTRobinsons, HappyFeet2, Titanic, BornToBe.., Avengers, Madagascar3, Avatar
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Virginia Beach

Even with the "newness" gone, I much prefer 3D to 2D if given the choice. Sadly, I can't get my wife on board with that thought process, so normally we end up just watching the 2D version anyway. She hates having to wear the glasses.
LG OLED65B6P 65" OLED 4K TV with 7.1 Surround
Xbox 1S
Sony STR-DH820
Polk Audio 75t (Fronts)
Polk Audio Monitor70 series II (Right and Left surround)
Polk Audio CS20
Sony HZ970W (HTIB) fronts used as rears
Power Sound Audio XV-30
Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Banned

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwerk View Post
My opinion:

I saw Alice at the London IMAX and thought the 3d was a terrible, pointless post-conversion job. Is the Blu-ray really that good? Most of the reviewers slated it for the 3D at the time it came out so I'm gobsmacked to see people referring to it as "the best"! "Thor" is another post-conversion job that had me wishing I'd watched the 2D version instead, and yet there are still one or two people claiming it's one of the best. Makes me wonder what people are using to judge good/bad 3D with!

Last edited by FastAndFluid; 10-26-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobaby1979 View Post
OK so, here is an updated version of my 3D blu-ray list in 'ranked' form.... it seems the 3DBR forum here has grown a little stale compared to a year or two ago, so I figured I'd add something that maybe will generate some discussion/questions etc. If not, no big loss; I maintain this list on my own anyway and so it's a simple matter of copy/paste!

BTW, is it just me or has a good deal of the 'newness' of 3DBR worn off for those of you like myself that still would say that they really love it? //but just seems kind of sad in comparison to when it was new and I was freaking out to get anything new in 3DBR.

Anyway, here's the ranked list... 47 total 3DBRs so far....

BEST OF THE BEST (7)
(BEST/'REFERENCE' 3D + BEST STORY/ACTION)

1. Avatar
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Tangled
4. Alice in Wonderland
5. Lion King
6. Toy Story 3
7. Transformers 3
I think anything new in the beginning is more exciting and like anything, like watching a movie for the 100th time, loses some of the excitement, but is still enjoyable.

Your list is your view, so I can't argue, but your ordering seems well placed.

Also consider adding Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D to your list. Amazing 3D.

Strongest 3D: (not full lists)
1. Avatar 3D
1. Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D
1. Hugo 3D
1. Open Season 3D vs Madagascar 3D
1. Silent Hill Revelation 3D
1. Many Imax 3D movies

Strong 3D:
2. Prometheus 3D
2. Resident Evil Retribution 3D
2. Kung Fu Panda 3D
2. My Bloody Valentine 3D, Drive Angry 3D, etc

Really Good 3D:
3. John Carter 3D
3. Avengers 3D
3. Journey 2 3D
3. Immortals 3D
etc

etc...

Weaker 3D:
Green Lantern 3D
I Robot 3D
Tron 3D (for layers)
etc.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 10-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #8

Dec 2011
Erie, PA. USA

I realize this is a personal list of what you've seen, but I'm surprised to not see HUGO on this list.

I'm a little surprised actually you don't own it.

IMO, "HUGO" is the best over all 3D release ever, with a very nice combination of "depth" and "pop".

Next, is definitely "Avatar" on my list and everything else falls in line behind those two.

I've been honestly disappointed with Pixar's 3D releases. Considering they are completely CGI created, I think they can do better. "Cars" especially, feels very flat. Although, I'll admit, I have not seen any of the "Toy Story" series in 3D.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDFilms View Post

I've been honestly disappointed with Pixar's 3D releases. Considering they are completely CGI created, I think they can do better. "Cars" especially, feels very flat. Although, I'll admit, I have not seen any of the "Toy Story" series in 3D.
Hugo 3D has great 3D, agreed. Cars 1 2D (not made in 3D yet), or do you mean Cars 2 3D? Cars 2 3D actually has some really good 3D, but I agree that Pixar needs to push their 3D more often to at least the really good/great 3D level of Dreamworks' Madagascar 3, Kung Fu Panda 2, etc. If they could hit that level or also Open Season's awesome 3D, they'll be offering stronger 3D for us.

Disney on the other hand, has a CGI animation studio that makes stronger 3D with the upcoming Wreck it Ralph 3D November 2, 2012. This Friday actually.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #10

Jun 2011
IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDFilms View Post
I realize this is a personal list of what you've seen, but I'm surprised to not see HUGO on this list.

I'm a little surprised actually you don't own it.

IMO, "HUGO" is the best over all 3D release ever, with a very nice combination of "depth" and "pop".

Next, is definitely "Avatar" on my list and everything else falls in line behind those two.

Hugo IS on my list.....????

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #11

Feb 2012
Default Kingdom of plants 3D

Kingdom of plants 3D with David Attenborough is my new favorite. And I own like 150 blu-ray 3D titles.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Power Member

May 2010

Sorry to hear the novelty has worn off for you. I'm not really having that problem, but I don't usually get tired of things as quickly as most people do.
I do go through fazes with movies though, where I watch a lot for a while. Then cut back for a while.

A good cure is to not watch anything in 3D on your TV for a while. For a week or two, or even a month maybe. Then put in something like.

Madagascar 3D
Kung Fu Panda 2
Despicable me
Tangled
Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs
Open Season
Mega Mind
Rio
Monsters vs Aliens

Any of the strong animated titles really. And be blown away all over again by how visually stunning it is.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-27-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010

If you don't own Sammy, you haven't seen 3D yet........
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
Power Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
If you don't own Sammy, you haven't seen 3D yet........
Is it even stronger than the Imax titles? Hard to believe it could be.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
Is it even stronger than the Imax titles? Hard to believe it could be.
It makes most IMAX titles look like I Robot by comparison......
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
Power Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
It makes most IMAX titles look like I Robot by comparison......
Lol, I can believe it looks awesome, but I'm not buying that comparison.

However, I've not seen I Robot 3D other than the trailer.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #17

Jun 2011
IL

when you say sammys adventures, are you talking about the animated turtle movie?

btw im guessing Life of Pi will be my next 3dbr that will really excite....

Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobaby1979 View Post
when you say sammys adventures, are you talking about the animated turtle movie?

btw im guessing Life of Pi will be my next 3dbr that will really excite....

Yup
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
Special Member

Apr 2012

I own Sammy's and while its good, it is over-rated round these parts. And the movie is a little too cute and kiddie. I still like it though.

Legend of the Gaurdians of Gahooie is probably just as strong, as is Open season.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
I own Sammy's and while its good, it is over-rated round these parts. And the movie is a little too cute and kiddie. I still like it though.

Legend of the Gaurdians of Gahooie is probably just as strong, as is Open season.
Both of them are good and obviously the animation is a lot better, but I don't think either of them have anything like the strong 3D depth or popouts that Sammy has throughout.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies