Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$50.20
21 hrs ago
Sailor Moon R: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Boruto: Naruto The Movie (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Digimon Adventure tri. Chapter 4: Loss (Blu-ray)
$15.96
10 hrs ago
K: Missing Kings (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$50.20

The Last: Naruto The Movie (Blu-ray)
$12.99

RIN-NE: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$51.49

Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$74.29

And You Thought There Is Never a Girl Online?: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.97

Robot Carnival (Blu-ray)
$19.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Default Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer coming to Blu-ray from Discotek

I saw some discussion on the Ranma thread but I think this one warrants its own: at Otakon 2016, Discotek Media announced they were releasing Mamoru Oshii’s Beautiful Dreamer on BD and DVD with the (original) English dub. Hopefully we get confirmation soon that this is the uncut theatrical version.

Last edited by Oniros; 08-25-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Thanks given by:
BobbyMcGee (08-26-2016), MJW (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

I just watched Otaku no Video the other week where one of the girls cosplayed as her and was happy to see this announced by Discotek shortly after.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2015
Hawaii

Cool, thanks for this.
"The bullet of Justice caps Evil's ass! Remember that!" - Good Excel
"Wow, Justice plays dirty!" - Excel
Old 08-25-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2014

My problem with muxing subs and or english audio with bluray video is the damn timing. If the video isn't in sync with the audio and or subs you have moderate to severe speed ahead or lagging. Trying to retime it is a royal pain in the arse.
My Avatar-The Dirty Pair. The Original Girls With Guns!!
Old 08-25-2016, 12:05 AM   #5

Oct 2015

No mention on whether or not they will try and get the other five from the other rights holders? Or at least 1-5?
Thanks given by:
eastx (01-29-2018)
Old 08-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy033 View Post
No mention on whether or not they will try and get the other five from the other rights holders? Or at least 1-5?
I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2015
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
I wouldn't bet on it.
Any reason?
"The bullet of Justice caps Evil's ass! Remember that!" - Good Excel
"Wow, Justice plays dirty!" - Excel
Old 08-25-2016, 01:47 AM   #8

Nov 2013

This is great news!

I haven't seen this since Blockbuster had an anime section with VHS tapes for rent.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:55 AM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Max View Post
Any reason?
Mainly because the 1 & 3-6 movies were originally licensed by Animeigo and I've never seen any of their lapsed anime rescued by anybody else and I really doubt it'll ever happen.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
My problem with muxing subs and or english audio with bluray video is the damn timing. If the video isn't in sync with the audio and or subs you have moderate to severe speed ahead or lagging. Trying to retime it is a royal pain in the arse.
It's not usually too problematic. Depends on the software you use I guess, but if you're mixing in an audio or subs track then you should have the ability to nudge the tracks around in relation to each other and the video track. You can do this down to the millisecond so can be quite precise. Then it's just a matter of trial and error until you line everything up to your satisfaction.

The only problem really is when the audio or subs track you're using is from a different cut of the video, then it comes down to how many cuts there are to make. Macross for example had an ad-break outro/intro on the JP BDs but not on the US ADV DVDs, hence you could just cut the couple of seconds of video out and then the audio and subs tracks lined up perfectly again either side of the ad-break.

The Death & Rebirth Evangelion movie on the other hand, seems to have cuts throughout, so I still haven't gotten around to doing that one.
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Old 08-26-2016, 03:10 AM   #11

Aug 2014

Quote:
Mainly because the 1 & 3-6 movies were originally licensed by Animeigo and I've never seen any of their lapsed anime rescued by anybody else and I really doubt it'll ever happen.
Arcadia of My Youth and Lupin the Third: The Fuma Conspiracy were both previously licensed and released by AnimEigo and both have since been licensed and/or released by Discotek. (Fuma Conspiracy is out of print now, though.)

I would personally love to see the rest of UY go back into print. But it's a different licensor than UY2:BD, and who knows if the sales would be there for the rest of the series, etc. etc. Only time will tell, I guess.
Thanks given by:
eastx (01-29-2018)
Old 08-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #12
Power Member

Jan 2014

What I'd love to see is all 6 of the UY movies released on bluray in a set-wouldn't be a big deal as they are on bluray in japan and have been dubbed-the tv series-not so much.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2015
USA

Overall, the OVAs are my favorite part of the franchise. However, the first, second, and fifth films also have a special place in my heart. Not that I wouldn't appreciate the TV series on BD, though. Besides the pretty terrible video quality, AnimEigo's release takes up a large amount of real estate.

[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
eastx (01-29-2018)
Old 08-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
Special Member

Sep 2012

Re-translating Urusei Yatsura would be a nightmare. There's a reason why Animeigo completely ruled out another release, even a BD. I'd love it if some company could pick it up and release it on BD. I just wouldn't be on it. Other than Gatchaman, has any other 100+ episode show been released on BD?
Old 08-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #15
Special Member

Jan 2015
USA

Was there something particularly wrong with AE's translation that would force a new one to be created from scratch?

Regarding long-running shows on BD, Ranma and Dragonball Z come to mind, as does Sailor Moon and Bleach (though the last two haven't been completed yet). Granted, all of those properties are extremely more popular than Urusei Yatsura in North America.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #16
Special Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic Twilight View Post
Was there something particularly wrong with AE's translation that would force a new one to be created from scratch?

Regarding long-running shows on BD, Ranma and Dragonball Z come to mind, as does Sailor Moon and Bleach (though the last two haven't been completed yet). Granted, all of those properties are extremely more popular than Urusei Yatsura in North America.
If they could get ahold of AE's subs and straight dump them, that would be great. But most companies tend to make their own subs. Has Discotek ever just straight dumped someone else's subs onto their release?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #17

Oct 2015

subs/translations are probably copyrighted.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
Re-translating Urusei Yatsura would be a nightmare. There's a reason why Animeigo completely ruled out another release, even a BD. I'd love it if some company could pick it up and release it on BD. I just wouldn't be on it. Other than Gatchaman, has any other 100+ episode show been released on BD?
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is coming at some point so there's another one
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (06-25-2017), Nostalgic Twilight (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:54 PM   #19
Special Member

Jan 2015
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
If they could get ahold of AE's subs and straight dump them, that would be great. But most companies tend to make their own subs. Has Discotek ever just straight dumped someone else's subs onto their release?
Ah, I thought you meant it was an issue with the actual translation itself, such as lines being translated incorrectly. As far as I'm aware, they do perform at least some tweaking to all their subs (such as font, rewording of some lines), though I will say that I'm not 100% certain. I'm sure it depends on what they have to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy033 View Post
subs/translations are probably copyrighted.
I was under the assumption that anything created by a licensor for a title was the property of the Japanese owner and could be sent to future companies who acquire the title without issue.

Last edited by Nostalgic Twilight; 08-27-2016 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Forgot a word.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:02 AM   #20

Feb 2016

From what I heard subtitle translations and English Dubs become property of the Japanese rights holder so if a anime is re licensed all that stuff can be supplied.
Although some dubs have to be tracked down in other ways because the Japanese company doesn't have the master for it.

There was a post on fandompost by I guess some sort of insider that Discotek is hammering out the details to some Sunrise licenses. I assumed it would be 80's mecha stuff after Giant Gorg which Discotek put out back in January. So maybe Fang Of The Sun Dougram,Xabungle, or Heavy Metal L-Gaim or something else. Nothing was announced at Otakon but the rest of Urusei Yatsura is property of Sunrise and Warner Bros Japan. That's who bought it after Kitty Films sold it off.

So who knows....maybe

I thought though Discotek might try to still get Dr Slump even if it's streaming only for awhile. Especially after getting Miss Machiko.

Last edited by arboryhill; 08-27-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags
anime, beautiful dreamer, discotek media, mamoru oshii, urusei yatsura