Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro (Blu-ray)
$45.49
Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.96
Special Effects Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.04
Patriots Day (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z Kai - The Final Chapters: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Pinocchio (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.01
Digimon Adventure tri. Chapter 1: Reunion (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Hidden Figures (Blu-ray)
$24.99
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Fences (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 02-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #4481
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2008
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniSol GR77 View Post
How can anyone see "good movies" into TPM, AOTC and TFA is very very very very beyond me.
lol I enjoy all three of those, to varying degrees.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 (Top 25) | 2017 Movie Ratings
Thanks given by:
frogmort (02-19-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #4482
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep5349 View Post
Welcome to multimedia storytelling! Disney have a wider and calculated businesss strategy. Star Wars has always been a cash cow. In the past there were books and comics, and they could be ignored because they weren't canon. Disney has been clever & ruthless in creating blanks and a relatively unknown period of time that can now been filled in by canon literature. JJ was working within those perimeters.
Seems legit. I wish it wasn't so, hehe. I guess it's either adjust to the times and ways of doing things nowadays or lament the good old days. Still, there's an element of something "not quite right" with TFA that's like a sharp little pebble in one's shoe; it just keeps annoying people such as myself who have nothing but good vibes for the franchise, and want it to be beyond reproach as weird as that may sound.

Ah, we'll see how this all pans out once all three films are done and dusted. I hope my theory about the two sequels to TFA suffering the butterfly effect resulting from the decisions made in the design of the trilogy, is proven to be incorrect.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #4483
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniSol GR77 View Post
How can anyone see "good movies" into TPM, AOTC and TFA is very very very very beyond me.
I notice you don't have RotS in there. Why is that? It's not like RotS is cut from a completely different cloth, is it?

RotS has the same kind of good things and bad things that TPM and AotC have, it just blends and balances them a little more effectively. Or a lot more effectively.

So maybe - and I'm just thinking out loud here - maybe the fact that a lot of people find the blend in TFA quite satisfying isn't really all that baffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
As I've said, it's not these events THEMSELVES that causes such noggin-bending scrutiny, it's that there's nothing in the film which charts where this Empire-lite faction sprung from.
The TELL us in the opening crawl that the First Order rose from the ashes of the Empire and then they SHOW us stormtroopers and Star Destroyers and Tie Fighters. Is it really that hard to connect these dots?

Did they really have to TELL us that the Empire was a huge operation that didn't just evaporate when Palpatine hit the bottom of that shaft? Do they have to explain how ambitious Imperial officers and various local autocrats stepped into the power vacuum created when Palpatine exited stage bottom?

Do we really need to be told how Snoke consolidated these small fiefdoms into a First Order as powerful if not more powerful than the Empire after *****slapping Luke and his fledging Jedi Order 2.0?

I mean, I dunno, based on what we were both shown and told none of those things seem all that hard to imagine which to my way of thinking makes leaving them to the imagination a reasonable way to go.

Quote:
Ah, but I never said I want the movie to grind to a halt and become some dreary-as-**** parliamentary procedural, as it's eminently possible to actually introduce political elements into the flow of the story and even make them part of the ultimate resolution of the story, e.g. Rogue One's...
Sorry, I'm gonna have to stop you there. I haven't seen it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoswald View Post
It is JJ's doing, all this hazy world building and incomplete story threads, isn't it? I don't know why I never saw that before. He has an eye for visuals and mood, but when it comes to approaching anything beyond the bright lights of surface distractions, he's exposed as a lightweight IMO.
To paraphrase the immortal Jimmy Conway, "Sounds like somebody we know".

Quote:
... with TFA that's like a sharp little pebble in one's shoe;...
So just take your shoes off.

You're welcome
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Thanks given by:
bferr1972 (02-19-2017), rodneyfaile (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #4484
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Sage advice indeed.
Thanks given by:
octagon (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #4485
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
So just take your shoes off.
I have a thing about people seeing my bare feet. It makes me feel exposed.
Thanks given by:
octagon (02-18-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:58 AM   #4486
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

Quote:
I have a thing about people seeing my bare feet. It makes me feel exposed.
Annie Wilkes loves bare feet, Mr. Man. But Snoke didn't get outta the cockadoody car!!!!
Thanks given by:
dgoswald (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:05 AM   #4487
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Eastfarthing

Speaking on 'world-building' literally, I found it a bit odd that all of the locations looked a lot like prior Star Wars locations but they were, for some reason, completely different actual planets. There's not one single planet represented in TFA that is from any of the other movies, right?
Joe
Old 02-19-2017, 02:15 AM   #4488

Jan 2014
North of England

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmort View Post
Speaking on 'world-building' literally, I found it a bit odd that all of the locations looked a lot like prior Star Wars locations but they were, for some reason, completely different actual planets. There's not one single planet represented in TFA that is from any of the other movies, right?
That is true. Maybe that's why there isn't one single familiar alien on show - as improbable as that seems.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:17 AM   #4489

Jan 2014
North of England

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post

To paraphrase the immortal Jimmy Conway, "Sounds like somebody we know".

I'm clearly missing something here. Who?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #4490
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsawJedi View Post
Maybe that's why there isn't one single familiar alien on show - as improbable as that seems.
Not counting Chewbacca, Nien Nunb, and Ackbar, of course.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Thanks given by:
JayFank (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #4491
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsawJedi View Post
I'm clearly missing something here. Who?
[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
octagon (02-19-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #4492
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

Just going to point out that the last time the Republic approved the formation of an army to fight bad guys, things didn't work out so well. It's understandable they wouldn't be in a big hurry to do it again.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #4493
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Sure, sure. It would've just been nice to have had an actual acknowledgement of that in the film, but that would require delving into DA DREADED POLITICKS to give an explanation of WHY the Rebels Resistance is a secretly-funded offshoot of the Republic, and all involved with TFA decided to steer well clear of that junk.

Anyhoo, like a steering wheel attached to my groin this is driving me nuts, so I've ordered several of the tie-in novels as well as resumed reading the Ep VII novelisation.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #4494
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

Quote:
Sure, sure. It would've just been nice to have had an actual acknowledgement of that in the film, but that would require delving into DA DREADED POLITICKS to give an explanation of WHY the Rebels Resistance is a secretly-funded offshoot of the Republic, and all involved with TFA decided to steer well clear of that junk.

Anyhoo, like a steering wheel attached to my groin this is driving me nuts, so I've ordered several of the tie-in novels as well as resumed reading the Ep VII novelisation.
Save your money, Geoff. Will it help if a lot of these things are addressed in Ep 8? Nobody knows squat about 8, it's insanely locked down. You have to figure all that backstory will be tertiary to keep moving the plot forward, as little as needed, but it's going to come up. No way to avoid it.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #4495

Feb 2017

Jusy my opinion, but this is such a god awful movie.

I liked Rey and Kylo Ren. Snoke is intriguing, but the rest i didn't care for at all.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #4496
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Save your money, Geoff. Will it help if a lot of these things are addressed in Ep 8? Nobody knows squat about 8, it's insanely locked down. You have to figure all that backstory will be tertiary to keep moving the plot forward, as little as needed, but it's going to come up. No way to avoid it.
Too late, I done ordered them already. Y'all should be grateful, I'll be too busy reading the books to keep making my usual bizarrely irrational complaints about TFA.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #4497

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankydoodleDandy View Post
Jusy my opinion, but this is such a god awful movie.

I liked Rey and Kylo Ren. Snoke is intriguing, but the rest i didn't care for at all.
Must have gotten banned and created a new account or just a troll account.
Thanks given by:
OI8T12 (02-20-2017), WhySoBlu? (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #4498
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

Quote:
Too late, I done ordered them already. Y'all should be grateful, I'll be too busy reading the books to keep making my usual bizarrely irrational complaints about TFA.
You're one of the most rational folks on these boards. You're a bit demanding on TFA, but nothing wrong with that.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #4499
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

image.jpg
"There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
Thanks given by:
octagon (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #4500
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

[Show spoiler]
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Thanks given by:
rodneyfaile (02-21-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies