Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.99
Patriots Day 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99
Hidden Figures (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Property is No Longer a Theft (Blu-ray)
£14.99
The Mephisto Waltz (Blu-ray)
£10.99
Hidden Figures 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99
Black Sails: Complete Series One & Two (Blu-ray)
£9.99
The Magus (Blu-ray)
£10.99
Patriots Day (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Rush: R40 (Blu-ray)
£38.00
Ludwig (Blu-ray)
£24.99
The City of the Dead (Blu-ray)
£14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #41

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Peg View Post
If you purchase Rita, Sue and Bob Too you really should consider getting The Arbor as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arbor-Blu-r...ords=the+arbor
This looks interesting thank you my friend.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a harmless joke. And besides, the Dissent issue was more a case of us querying why we were being misinformed, it wasn't a case of bullying or anything along those lines.

But this here, this is a simple old joke.
You need to stop. Nobody got misinformed, very much the opposite. I take it you STILL haven't brought the set yet?
Old 02-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #42
Power Member

Jun 2014
Aberdeen, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clarke View Post
... We had Clarke, Leigh, Douglas and Loach give the working class voices. Now we just have Benefit Street. Sad times.
Last time I looked we still had at least two of those.
If I was a duck I'd go quack.

All things prog | Yes World | DVD Basen | Home | MX-5 | Nausicaa | ET | My Criterion
Old 02-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #43
Banned

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifox211 View Post
Last time I looked we still had at least two of those.
Mike Leigh is the only one still working (Loach has retired, and the others are dead), and few of his recent films fit the description above.
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2011
England

What about Shane Meadows? The excellent This Is England and the tv series.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #45

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
What about Shane Meadows? The excellent This Is England and the tv series.
Yeah but he doesn't make films anymore. Just TV shows. He's milked TIE for all it's worth and the series were not patch on the film. I've never thought of him as a successor to Clarke, though. I'd argue that Andrea Arnold is the nearest thing we have to an Alan Clarke at this point.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 AM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Yeah but he doesn't make films anymore. Just TV shows. He's milked TIE for all it's worth and the series were not patch on the film. I've never thought of him as a successor to Clarke, though. I'd argue that Andrea Arnold is the nearest thing we have to an Alan Clarke at this point.
The tv shows were superb IMO. I actually enjoyed them more than the film. Stephen Graham was just wonderful as was Vicky Mclure. They are very well regarded in critical circles also, having won several awards and rating in the high 8's on IMDB and various other sites.

Meadows will be getting back to film soon, with several options in the pipeline.

Anyway, I wasn't stating that he was a successor to Clarke, just that he champions the working class folk.

I take it you have seen all of the tv series?
Thanks given by:
beadelf (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #47
Expert Member

Jan 2015
Bristol, UK

Quote:
This looks interesting thank you my friend.

You need to stop. Nobody got misinformed, very much the opposite. I take it you STILL haven't brought the set yet?
I have stopped. You seem to have completely misread my post. But there you go.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
The tv shows were superb IMO. I actually enjoyed them more than the film. Stephen Graham was just wonderful as was Vicky Mclure. They are very well regarded in critical circles also, having won several awards and rating in the high 8's on IMDB and various other sites.

Meadows will be getting back to film soon, with several options in the pipeline.

Anyway, I wasn't stating that he was a successor to Clarke, just that he champions the working class folk.

I agree the series was fantastic, superior to the film. Would love them all on Blu
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
I agree the series was fantastic, superior to the film. Would love them all on Blu
They should have been region free so you guys could have access. If they ever release them over there, the transfers for all 3 series are a treat. Pin sharp and full of detail.

Edit: I see you are from London? You can buy them right?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #50
Expert Member

Jan 2015
Bristol, UK

Quote:
They should have been region free so you guys could have access. If they ever release them over there, the transfers for all 3 series are a treat. Pin sharp and full of detail.

Agreed, I got the box of all three series when it came out and can confirm the quality is wonderful. Currently 23.99 on Zavvi.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #51
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougling View Post
Agreed, I got the box of all three series when it came out and can confirm the quality is wonderful. Currently 23.99 on Zavvi.
Meadows likes to use the latest gear and it shows.

I tend to watch all 3 series after the film once a year. It has so much replay value to me.
Thanks given by:
Dougling (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #52

Jun 2016

Quote:

He does champion the working class, so he's really good on that level. Listen, I am not saying he's bad, but he is not consistent as a film director these days, which is frustrating as he is clearly talented.

Also, i've seen all 3 series. And, again, they are not bad, but they don't hold a candle to the film. The shows developed a formula - bad person comes back from the past to wreck havoc on the gang's life, the obligatory violent set piece in the second to last episode or final episode of the series - finish, rinse and repeat.

Because he tackles issues such as paedophilia, incest, racism and domestic violence, people think that he's being brave and daring, but Meadows is just in his comfort zone and repeating the same stuff as usual.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #53
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
He does champion the working class, so he's really good on that level. Listen, I am not saying he's bad, but he is not consistent as a film director these days, which is frustrating as he is clearly talented.

Also, i've seen all 3 series. And, again, they are not bad, but they don't hold a candle to the film. The shows developed a formula - bad person comes back from the past to wreck havoc on the gang's life, the obligatory violent set piece in the second to last episode or final episode of the series - finish, rinse and repeat.

Because he tackles issues such as paedophilia, incest, racism and domestic violence, people think that he's being brave and daring, but Meadows is just in his comfort zone and repeating the same stuff as usual.
Can you tell me how he is inconsistant? A Room For Romeo Bass, Dead Man's Shoes, This Is England, I would say his work has become more consistent.

As for the series, if that's what you take, that's what you take. However, you can't have themes like incest, racism and domestic violence without having follow-through. It's the very essence of the series. Those issues don't just tuck away neatly into a box, they have life long impact.

Anyway, to each their own, but I adore the series.

Last edited by Steedeel; 02-24-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #54
Expert Member

Jan 2015
Bristol, UK

Quote:
Can you tell me how he is inconsistant? A Room For Romeo Bass, Dead Man's Shoes, This Is England, I would say his work has become more consistent.

As for the series, if that's what you take, that's what you take. However, you can't have themes like incest, racism and domestic violence without having follow-through. It's the very essence of the series. Those issues don't just tuck away neatly into a box, they have life long impact.

Anyway, to each their own, but I adore the series.
You missed out Somers Town. That's a really underrated little masterpiece.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #55
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
You missed out Somers Town. That's a really underrated little masterpiece.
Oh yes, that was Thomas Turgooose as well wasn't it? I caught it on tv but I don't own it. It was good. I own those titles I mentioned. I didn't bother with The Stone Roses Doc as I am not a huge fan.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #56
Expert Member

Jan 2015
Bristol, UK

Quote:
Oh yes, that was Thomas Turgooose as well wasn't it? I caught it on tv but I don't own it. It was good. I own those titles I mentioned. I didn't bother with The Stone Roses Doc as I am not a huge fan.
Yeah, it was another one with Turgoose. I thought it was a great movie.

I'm a massive Stone Roses fan but still haven't got around to that.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #57
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Yeah, it was another one with Turgoose. I thought it was a great movie.

I'm a massive Stone Roses fan but still haven't got around to that.
Massive Smiths fan here!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:

I never realised they were on blu!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #59
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
i never realised they were on blu! :d:d
:d
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland