Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
47 Meters Down (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #201

May 2011
St. Louis Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman87 View Post
I wonder when the site is putting up their theatrical review of Prometheus? I assume they made one and it was yet another casualty of the database snafu...already seen the film, and loved it, but I like to read their reviews and see what their take is on this...divisive film.
http://www.blu-ray.com/Prometheus/63701/?show=preview
Site score: 5/10
‎"Since you are about to die anyway, I may as well tell you the entire plot."
-Benedict, Last Action Hero
Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #202

Jun 2012
Amsterdam

I realy loved this film, possibly one of the best scifi movie.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #203

Aug 2010
Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prox View Post
OK, I could have sworn the review for Prometheus was only put back up within the last few hours, I was sorting through the reviews on the front page today and did not see it...yea, pretty lukewarm review. I guess I kind of expected that though. I'd give this a solid 8/10 myself.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #204

Sep 2011

Saw 'Prometheus' on Friday in IMAX 3D and loved it. IMO, the negative backlash towards Damon Lindelof is entirely unwarranted and rather rude. One popular negative critique is that the film is rather ambiguous. It sort of shocks me that people seem so offended by this, as it is a science-fiction movie focusing on the origins of humanity, and the meaning of life. Did people go into this movie thinking they were going to come out having an epiphany?

What follows will be my interpretation of the movie, focusing on why it isn't as bland as some people think.

[Show spoiler]
  • THE BIG ONE: I think people are forgetting to examine the title--Prometheus. Unfortunately, I'm guessing a lot of people missed out by some of what the early viral-marketing videos were attempting to provide. There's one video (below) that has Weyland (Guy Pearce), talking at TED in 2023 about the Titan Prometheus, fire as the first human technology, etc (
    ). Prometheus was a Titan who stole fire from the gods to give to humans, essentially kick-starting human evolution/progression. Prometheus was then punished by Zeus for eternity, continually having his guts picked out by an eagle. In mythology, a younger group of gods, the Olympians, overthrew the Titans reign. In my opinion, humans are essentially the Olympians of the story, a younger group of "gods" poised at overthrowing their creators (the Engineers).
  • REMEMBER: David seems to have a fondness for the film 'Lawrence of Arabia,' and the scene is shown of T.E. Lawrence being asked his trick behind putting out a flame using only his bare fingers. He replies: 'The trick, Potter, is not minding it hurts.' Now, I may be stretching my understanding, but I think I've found a pretty good connection. So, if human beings are essentially Olympians, young gods, attempting to overthrow their "creators" (Titans/Engineers), then what is Prometheus stealing? When David enters that ceremonial-looking tomb (the one with the giant head & ooze), he eventually steals the god's technology, as Prometheus did with fire. Also, recall when David is pinching the ooze between his fingers, much like Lawrence pinching the fire with his fingers?
  • WHY IS THE ENGINEER SO ENRAGED? I'm speaking of the scene where the last living Engineer is awoken from his sleep to come face-to-face with members of the Prometheus crew, including David & Weyland. At first, he seems to respond genuinely to David, caressing his cheek with his hand. Suddenly, he becomes enraged, lifting David by the throat and decapitating him. Why? Because David is offensive to the Engineer. David is not his creation. It's Weyland's. Also in that viral video, Weyland claims: WE are the gods, now. Not only does the Engineer's violence spur from his offense, but also from his fear. The fear of being overturned. Think about it. The Engineers created human beings, and human beings created androids. Androids are artificial, a soul-less creation manufactured by a greedy businessman with selfish ambitions. It's not hard to believe that the Engineer was somehow able to discover that David was not "natural," and thus was hell-bent on destroying such an impurity. Androids ultimately represent a "perfect" human, one that stores numerous amounts of information/intelligence, yet contains no soul.
  • It's my theory that David's agenda was not fully controlled through Weyland. Sure, Weyland had influence behind David's actions, but I think David slowly formulated his own agenda. I.E. David poisoned Charlie by his own accord. My theory behind why he did this has yet to become solid, but one idea I had is that David was essentially rebelling against his own creators, much like human beings when they created artificial life. Remember that conversation David has with Charlie, just before he places the ooze in his glass; Charlie is expressing discontent over not finding a living Engineer, and eventually says something to David about why human beings created androids: "because we can." David expresses discontent over Charlie's explanation for his own creation, thus using Charlie for his own experiments. It's my theory that David has as much interest in discovering who created human beings and why, but it also seems that he has his own interest in creating life, much like his creators. David himself is attempting to become something more, something like a god.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #205
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Good assessment. A lot of people are failing to look at the film so deeply, so all the stuff on the surface seems like an average sci fi story to them at best. I picked up on a lot of the subtleties though and it really gave me an appreciation for the film. All the additional debate only makes me appreciate it that much more, as it is a mainstream film that hasn't been dumbed down, despite what some people think.
2016 disc favs: The Revenant 4K, The Peanuts Movie 4K, Pan's Labyrinth (Criterion), In A Lonely Place (Criterion), Kubo and the Two Strings, Hellraiser Scarlet Box (US), The BFG, The Thing (Scream Factory), The Jungle Book (live), Deadpool 4K, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Hateful Eight, Carol
Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #206
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Singapore (via London)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKurtovich View Post
Meh movie was meh.

A potentially "smart" sci-fi dumbed down to Hollywood standards and marketed as a thriller/suspense when it contained no thrills or suspense...

Visually beautiful though. Should make a good looking blu.
Basically this.

I've enjoyed other sci-fi movies much more over the last year or two. Moon for example. As far as sci-fi movies with big ideas, I'll keep Silent Running, Alien and even Star Trek TOMP over this.

I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but it was just an average sci-fi movie that looked beautiful. Nothing more, nothing less. And tbf, there's nothing wrong with that.
Now I've got They Live! on blu, I really need Deep Rising...
Old 06-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #207
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Guydowood, GA
Default Director's Cut coming to blu?

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-pro...erview/172202/
Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #208

Apr 2008

So glad to see that the majority of the people here loved it, I did too.
I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a movie. And this
was everything I could have hoped for. And more. As mentioned above,
two of my favorite critics gave this their highest marks (Ebert and Roeper).
I especially agree with EVERYTHING Roeper says here. Word for word.

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/prometheus.aspx
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #209
Expert Member

Aug 2011
Maryland
Send a message via AIM to TheBlayman

Which Cinemark? I don't travel into D.C. anymore.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #210
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlayman View Post
Which Cinemark? I don't travel into D.C. anymore.
the only immediate Cinemark in the DC area is the one up at Arundel Mills Mall - the Egyptian - my fave screen for big screen digital projection. Best sound is at AMC Tysons on it's ETX screen.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #211
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblunick View Post
Saw 'Prometheus' on Friday in IMAX 3D and loved it. IMO, the negative backlash towards Damon Lindelof is entirely unwarranted and rather rude. One popular negative critique is that the film is rather ambiguous. It sort of shocks me that people seem so offended by this, as it is a science-fiction movie focusing on the origins of humanity, and the meaning of life. Did people go into this movie thinking they were going to come out having an epiphany?

What follows will be my interpretation of the movie, focusing on why it isn't as bland as some people think.

[Show spoiler]
  • THE BIG ONE: I think people are forgetting to examine the title--Prometheus. Unfortunately, I'm guessing a lot of people missed out by some of what the early viral-marketing videos were attempting to provide. There's one video (below) that has Weyland (Guy Pearce), talking at TED in 2023 about the Titan Prometheus, fire as the first human technology, etc (Prometheus Viral - Peter Weyland at TED 2023 - Guy Pierce, Ridley Scott, Alien Movie (2012) HD - YouTube). Prometheus was a Titan who stole fire from the gods to give to humans, essentially kick-starting human evolution/progression. Prometheus was then punished by Zeus for eternity, continually having his guts picked out by an eagle. In mythology, a younger group of gods, the Olympians, overthrew the Titans reign. In my opinion, humans are essentially the Olympians of the story, a younger group of "gods" poised at overthrowing their creators (the Engineers).
  • REMEMBER: David seems to have a fondness for the film 'Lawrence of Arabia,' and the scene is shown of T.E. Lawrence being asked his trick behind putting out a flame using only his bare fingers. He replies: 'The trick, Potter, is not minding it hurts.' Now, I may be stretching my understanding, but I think I've found a pretty good connection. So, if human beings are essentially Olympians, young gods, attempting to overthrow their "creators" (Titans/Engineers), then what is Prometheus stealing? When David enters that ceremonial-looking tomb (the one with the giant head & ooze), he eventually steals the god's technology, as Prometheus did with fire. Also, recall when David is pinching the ooze between his fingers, much like Lawrence pinching the fire with his fingers?
  • WHY IS THE ENGINEER SO ENRAGED? I'm speaking of the scene where the last living Engineer is awoken from his sleep to come face-to-face with members of the Prometheus crew, including David & Weyland. At first, he seems to respond genuinely to David, caressing his cheek with his hand. Suddenly, he becomes enraged, lifting David by the throat and decapitating him. Why? Because David is offensive to the Engineer. David is not his creation. It's Weyland's. Also in that viral video, Weyland claims: WE are the gods, now. Not only does the Engineer's violence spur from his offense, but also from his fear. The fear of being overturned. Think about it. The Engineers created human beings, and human beings created androids. Androids are artificial, a soul-less creation manufactured by a greedy businessman with selfish ambitions. It's not hard to believe that the Engineer was somehow able to discover that David was not "natural," and thus was hell-bent on destroying such an impurity. Androids ultimately represent a "perfect" human, one that stores numerous amounts of information/intelligence, yet contains no soul.
  • It's my theory that David's agenda was not fully controlled through Weyland. Sure, Weyland had influence behind David's actions, but I think David slowly formulated his own agenda. I.E. David poisoned Charlie by his own accord. My theory behind why he did this has yet to become solid, but one idea I had is that David was essentially rebelling against his own creators, much like human beings when they created artificial life. Remember that conversation David has with Charlie, just before he places the ooze in his glass; Charlie is expressing discontent over not finding a living Engineer, and eventually says something to David about why human beings created androids: "because we can." David expresses discontent over Charlie's explanation for his own creation, thus using Charlie for his own experiments. It's my theory that David has as much interest in discovering who created human beings and why, but it also seems that he has his own interest in creating life, much like his creators. David himself is attempting to become something more, something like a god.
ambiguous isn't the word I use, sloppy editing is at fault here.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #212
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape reality View Post
I realy loved this film, possibly one of the best scifi movie.
One of the best in a long time that's 4sure.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #213
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSing View Post
Sorry I don't believe that's true. Can you state a source please. He may have changed his mind during the marketing junkets but I doubt it.

On itunes top 10/20 podcasts you'll find the Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo film review show. There's an extended interview with Ridley Scott in which he says he cut loads and is looking forward to doing an extended/director's cut.
Maybe you'll believe it's true after you see him say it in front of a running camera?

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-pro...erview/172202/

SCOTT: "This (the theatrical cut) is fundamentally the director's cut. But there will be half an hour of stuff on the menu because people are so into films...how they're made, how they're set up, and the rejections in it. That's why it's fascinating. So this will all go on to the menu. [...] I'm so happy with this engine, the way it is right now. I think it's fine, I think it works. It (the deleted material) can go in a section where, if you really want to tap in, look at the menu. To see how things are long, and it's too long."

He calls the extended cuts of his films (including Prometheus) a "ploy," with the exception of Kingdom of Heaven, and states unequivocally that the version of Prometheus that you saw in the theater is his preferred cut. This meshes with his statements in the past that the "Extended" cuts of his films (e.g. Gladiator and American Gangster) are not his preferred cuts, and that the theatrical cuts of most of his films are his director's cuts. The only alternate cuts he truly supports are the ones called "Director's Cut" (or "Final Cut," in the case of Blade Runner's second Scott-approved version)...though he hastens to point out that the "Director's Cut" of Alien is only called that for marketing purposes, and that the 1979 cut remains his preferred version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
Please...the film is deliberately ambiguous about a great many things, and that much is obvious.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #214
Special Member

Sep 2009
Europe
Send a message via Yahoo to NYorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post

Please...the film is deliberately ambiguous about a great many things, and that much is obvious.
Great line

Anyone who saw the movie should also check out the viewer review at darkhorizons.com - one of the funniest things I've read in while! (be forewarned: he wasn't crazy about the film...)
Panasonic plasma 60ST60
PS4 1TB
Tannoy Mercury V4
Monitor Audio MSW10
Pioneer VSX-521
Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #215
Special Member

Jun 2012

Just saw this today and loved it. I can't wait to pick up the BD. It was visually stunning and the bass tore my head off (at the end).

It's so funny how its special effects can create great looking alien spaceships, yet do a really shitty job making someone look really old.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #216
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #217

Sep 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
So glad to see that the majority of the people here loved it, I did too.
I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a movie.
Saw it today and thought it was great. It's not often nowadays that I come away from a film being really thrilled by it. Certainly looking forward to the Blu-ray.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #218
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
Yep.. since they didn't have the foresight in the script stage to realize the Shaw/Engineer fight scene wouldn't work, and ended up cutting it (although shots for that scene appeared in the trailers), it left a huge hole in the finale, where basically nothing happens. The pacing of the film's second half was so bad... stuff had to be cut out, there's no other reason to explain why
[Show spoiler]the "birth" was 100% forgotten by the very next scene, and had no effect on anyone, including Shaw who it should've really affected... or David, who was trying to harvest the creature himself.
Just bad, bad writing, pacing, and editing.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #219
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Yep.. since they didn't have the foresight in the script stage to realize the Shaw/Engineer fight scene wouldn't work, and ended up cutting it (although shots for that scene appeared in the trailers), it left a huge hole in the finale, where basically nothing happens. The pacing of the film's second half was so bad... stuff had to be cut out, there's no other reason to explain why
[Show spoiler]the "birth" was 100% forgotten by the very next scene, and had no effect on anyone, including Shaw who it should've really affected... or David, who was trying to harvest the creature himself.
Just bad, bad writing, pacing, and editing.
I have to agree with all of this.

I wanted to love this film, but I found myself appreciating small aspects of it (design, some performances) and just shaking my head at how sloppy the whole thing was put together.

It wasn't boring, I'll give it that. And it's something I'd like to see again at some point. But it was very disappointing.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #220

Sep 2009
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prox View Post
I chuckle
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America