Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Little House on the Prairie: S… ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
Florence Foster Jenkins (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Turn A Gundam: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #861
Special Member

Jun 2014
City of Angels

Robert A. Harris gave a VERY positive review for WAC's Suspicion release.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/comm...lu-ray.346814/
Thanks given by:
applemac (08-13-2016), G. Costanz (06-12-2016), Ray_Rogers (06-13-2016), RiFiFi1955 (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #862
Special Member

Jun 2014
City of Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Has anything been heard about a possible new 4K restoration of Lifeboat?
The steelbook is quite cheap right now at zavvi but seeing the screenshots I think that a new restoration might be down the road.. (since it hasn't been released in USA yet too)
I was perusing iTunes looking for Hitchcock films and noticed something curious. They had the missing WB films all in HD (granted, I've no idea of the quality of the scan since I'd prefer a physical copy) but for some reason Fox doesn't have a HD master posted for LIFEBOAT. I thought it quite odd to see it only in 480p.

Does the MOC or Australian release have any notes on their transfers?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #863

Jan 2011
South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyF View Post
I was perusing iTunes looking for Hitchcock films and noticed something curious. They had the missing WB films all in HD (granted, I've no idea of the quality of the scan since I'd prefer a physical copy) but for some reason Fox doesn't have a HD master posted for LIFEBOAT. I thought it quite odd to see it only in 480p.

Does the MOC or Australian release have any notes on their transfers?
From the MOC website:

New high-definition master, officially licensed from Twentieth Century Fox

Since this was released in April 2012, I'd assume the transfer is circa 2011 or so. I have the Australian release and was told (directly by Shock! Entertainment) that the transfer they licensed was the same used by MOC.
I hate political correctness and the culture of victimization. Your situation is NOT my fault or the fault of anyone other than you. Take responsibility for YOUR life and stop blaming everyone and everything but yourself.
Thanks given by:
JohnnyF (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #864
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

The MOC version of LIFEBOAT looks great. I'm shocked that Criterion hasn't released it in the 4 years since, due to their relationship with Fox. (I'm less shocked that Fox hasn't released it, since they don't seem to release catalog titles like this anymore.)
Thanks given by:
applemac (05-22-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #865
Special Member

Jun 2014
City of Angels

It just seemed bizarre that Fox wouldn't have a HD version up if they had a scan. Maybe it is one of those cases where Criterion is planning on it coming out for them, because otherwise I would have expected Twilight Time to have jumped on it as well by now.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #866
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
It just seemed bizarre that Fox wouldn't have a HD version up if they had a scan. Maybe it is one of those cases where Criterion is planning on it coming out for them, because otherwise I would have expected Twilight Time to have jumped on it as well by now.
Fox is sitting on a lot of classics. They did a new 4K scan of TWO FOR THE ROAD from the original negative, premiered it at the 2012 TCM Fest, then never released it anywhere except licensed through MOC in the UK, just like LIFEBOAT. Bizarre.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #867

Jun 2015

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I only got 12 pages in to this 44-page thread before giving up

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the Masterpiece Collection (14 discs) from Universal and the two box sets Hitchcock Vol.1&2 (Universal), both 7 discs each (besides packaging that is)?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #868
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander03 View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I only got 12 pages in to this 44-page thread before giving up

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the Masterpiece Collection (14 discs) from Universal and the two box sets Hitchcock Vol.1&2 (Universal), both 7 discs each (besides packaging that is)?
Looks like those Vols are only available in the UK. I can't imagine they'd be any different from the boxset, but I don't know for sure.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #869

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Looks like those Vols are only available in the UK. I can't imagine they'd be any different from the boxset, but I don't know for sure.
Thanks for the reply - I had a suspicion the two releases were probably a cash-grab by Universal.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #870

Apr 2016

Hi folks,
Possibly a dumb question, but has anyone tested/ does anyone know if the new Warners Archive Hitchcocks (specifically Suspicion) are Region A only, or will they play on Region B, too?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #871
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
United States
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repro View Post
Hi folks,
Possibly a dumb question, but has anyone tested/ does anyone know if the new Warners Archive Hitchcocks (specifically Suspicion) are Region A only, or will they play on Region B, too?
Warner Bros and Warner Archive titles are always region free.
A fan of The Classics and Genre Trash.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #872

May 2013

Finally tracked down Blackmail (1929) on DVD today!

Hitch’s farewell to the silents is a menacing tale of deep-rooted perversion, deception, culpability and of course murder! While mostly remembered due to its historical significance (being the first truly British "all-talkie" feature and all), there’s more to Blackmail than nerdy trivia.

Originally commissioned as a silent, Blackmail was re-conceived as a talkie midway, to boost its commercial potential. Hitchcock reluctantly obliged.
Regardless, silent film-making tropes abound, whether it is the full screen facial closeups of the principals or the sped-up action during the chase scenes.

Alice (Anny Ondra) curiously ‘steps out’ on her Scotland Yard inspector beau Frank (John Longden) with an amateur artist she casually knows called Crewe (Cyril Ritchard). A crime is committed and she finds herself back in Frank's arms seeking his protection. Unfortunately, for the couple a scrounger, loafer named Tracy (Donald Calthrop) is present ‘at the right place at the right time’ and delivers this gem:

Detectives in glass houses shouldn’t wave clues

The most fascinating aspect for me is to witness the “Master-in-Making” at work and how he meticulously conveys the action in the early goings (without inter-titles and minimal dialogue), through inspired camera-work, effective use of lighting and scenery and some evocative acting. Hitch also effortlessly exhibits strong mastery over the new medium i.e sound, one such example is the repetitive use of the word ‘knife’ which effectively highlights the culprit’s paranoia. It’s probably with this film and his next talkie, Murder! – that Hitchcock realised that crime and suspense were his forte.

Blackmail also features the lengthiest and for my money the funniest of all Hitch cameos, where he gets in a scuffle with a little boy on the tube.
It’s also punctuated with that typical brand of brit humour which prevents the overall tone from going overly somber.
My favourite is when the victim’s (admittedly frightened but crime-obsessed) neighbour expresses her displeasure over the manner in which the crime was committed:

A good, clean, honest whack over the 'ead with a brick is one thing.... something British about that. But knives?
No. … Knives is not right
.”

Such characters can be termed as the Hitchcockian antecedents of the Henry Travers and Hume Cronyn characters from Shadow of a Doubt, or of the blood-craving Thelma Ritter from Rear Window.

There’s no shortage of other Hitchcockian themes and plot-devices:

The use of a famous landmark, in this case the British Museum supplemented with a huge Egyptian statue and distressing rooftop as a backdrop for the chase (a la Saboteur & North by Northwest) - an idea suggested by the future director Michael Powell.

Blackmail also introduced the recurring motif of “guilty blondes” which can be subsequently observed in Psycho, The Birds & Dial M for Murder.

The disorientating high-angle shot of Ondra descending the spiral stairway, immediately brings back memories of the belltower sequence from Vertigo.

The fusing of the women’s screams (Ondra’s with the landlady’s that discovers the body), like with the train whistle in The 39 Steps.

The acting though adequate may feel slightly dated, although Francois Truffaut's interviews with Hitchcock about working with Ms Ondra should be enough to stimulate anyone's appetite to see her.
The only discernible negative to speak of relates to the period and not the film i.e the static compositions and dire audio.

Really hope this makes it to Blu-ray sooner rather than later, the rights seem to be with StudioCanal.

Last edited by MeMynonsense; 05-23-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Thanks given by:
JohnnyF (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #873
Special Member

Jun 2014
City of Angels

Has there been any word on how the Warner Archive titles have sold? I made a point to buy each of them on release week in the hopes that Warner is using sales to decide how quickly to release their remaining Hitchcock titles.
Thanks given by:
applemac (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #874
Special Member

Feb 2015

Quote:
Has there been any word on how the Warner Archive titles have sold? I made a point to buy each of them on release week in the hopes that Warner is using sales to decide how quickly to release their remaining Hitchcock titles.
Same here.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #875
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
MD, USA

Quote:
Only ones left are Stage Fright and Mr & Mrs Smith correct?
My awesome set up:
A TV, 5.1 sound and rad speakers.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #876
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
MD, USA

I wish MGM would release the others they have. Don't they have 3 or 4 more?
My awesome set up:
A TV, 5.1 sound and rad speakers.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:03 AM   #877
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidthenikonuser View Post
I wish MGM would release the others they have. Don't they have 3 or 4 more?
They have The Paradine Case, which they could still release. Though it's the very definition of lesser Hitchcock I'd still pick it up.

MGM released The Lodger, Sabotage and Young & Innocent on DVD a while back, but I think that was a limited time license, I don't think they control them in the US anymore. Those titles appear to be with Criterion now.
Thanks given by:
applemac (08-13-2016), davidthenikonuser (06-13-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #878
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Chicago

I saw I Confess for the first time last night. It was probably the most popular Hitch title that I had not seen yet. (I still have a lot of his early work to see.) I was quite surprised at how good it was and what a fun watch it is. Of course, Montgomery Clift in the lead role really helps. Baxter and Malden are also really good.
[Show spoiler]Baxter’s telling of her romance shared w/ the Clift character was really very sweet, I thought.
The film is accused of having little or no suspense, but that doesn’t make uninteresting by any means. The plot develops in not so predictable ways and the finale is really worthwhile.

Funny thing about Hitch’s filmography - he made so many films.. and so many good ones, that it’d be difficult to see them all or re-visit them all within a short, confined time frame. It is amazing how good this one felt considering that it is universally considered among his weaker films. It might just be that this one was new to me, but I’d rank it higher than Lifeboat, Spellbound, Rope, Foreign Correspondent, and a few others.
"It's my belief that history is a wheel. 'Inconstancy is my very essence,' says the wheel. Rise up on my spokes if you like but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away." - Boethius
Old 09-27-2016, 12:14 AM   #879
Power Member

Sep 2008
New York City

The Classics Collection (Notorious, Rebecca, Spellbound) and the individual releases have gone out of stock. Anyone heard anything about these? Criterion used to have DVD rights.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:29 AM   #880
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ225 View Post
The Classics Collection (Notorious, Rebecca, Spellbound) and the individual releases have gone out of stock. Anyone heard anything about these? Criterion used to have DVD rights.
Hopefully criterion can release other Hitchcock movies that haven't already been given good releases before getting to Notorius, Rebecca, and Spellbound.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America