Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Banshee: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.96
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$48.35
It Follows (Blu-ray)
$14.84
Earthflight: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mission: Impossible Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$21.98
The Ultimate Matrix Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$19.94
Banshee: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$13.99
The Fisher King (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old Today, 05:51 AM   #1161

Aug 2012

I think down the road people will cringe looking back at now.

It isn't the music so much I hate as it is the production that makes it sound cheap and artificially processed. People crap on how glossy it got in the 80s but even in comparison, the production to a song like We Built This City had much more of a kick to it compared to the compressed laptop hell most top 40 music is confined to these days. I've loved Madonna since I was a kid but I can't do her latest album simply because of the production reeks of everything I hate about modern top 40 music. It's so overprocessed and compressed that it makes her debut look like a stripped down folk record.

There's a lot of great music out there and I'm still buying new albums by contemporary artists all the time... but top 40? ugh!!!! The production and everything to todays music is so samey and generic it almost makes me yearn for the days of Britney and the Backstreet Boys.
Old Today, 06:23 AM   #1162
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleandWonder View Post

It isn't the music so much I hate as it is the production that makes it sound cheap and artificially processed. People crap on how glossy it got in the 80s but even in comparison, the production to a song like We Built This City had much more of a kick to it compared to the compressed laptop hell most top 40 music is confined to these days. I've loved Madonna since I was a kid but I can't do her latest album simply because of the production reeks of everything I hate about modern top 40 music. It's so overprocessed and compressed that it makes her debut look like a stripped down folk record.

There's a lot of great music out there and I'm still buying new albums by contemporary artists all the time... but top 40? ugh!!!! The production and everything to todays music is so samey and generic it almost makes me yearn for the days of Britney and the Backstreet Boys.
Aren't they still making music?
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #1163

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleandWonder View Post

This is the problem, alright. While there's not a lot of popular songwriting to my taste these days, sometimes I can hear a good one buried beneath a lot of horrible production choices- I understand (but will never accept) the simple mentality of trying to sound like something else because it was successful. Was it Arcade Fire that started that epic sing-along chant/chorus thing that now is on every other song and in Olive Garden commercials on tv?

We're all lamenting sounding like cranky old men about how things used to be better and I know there will be some things from this era that age well in the years to come, but- and I'm gonna generalize- yeah, look at the 80's. I grew up during them and the production sounds so dated and specific to it's time- unlike nearly any other decade. There is some good music, but there is also a very specific context you have to come to to appreciate something like 'We Built This City.' It doesn't come to you. That's a catchy (though pretty stupid, imo, sorry!) song, which is why it keeps turning up everywhere, but it's usually as a punchline and that's because of the slick production. I think the 2010's with their over-processed vocals, and tuners, and the same *&*damn drum loops over and over again are gonna age in that same way.
Old Today, 12:56 PM   #1164
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

There's really nothing different between Madonna's 80's pop and Taylor Swift's 2010's pop, or Foreigner's 80's soft-rock pop and Maroon 5's 2010's soft-rock pop. You all sound like old fogies. You either like pop music or you don't, it has little to do with the era you're from or living in.

(I say this as someone who pretty much only listens to alternative rock and jazz).
Thanks given by:
Sky_Captain (Today)
Old Today, 01:30 PM   #1165

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
There's really nothing different between Madonna's 80's pop and Taylor Swift's 2010's pop, or Foreigner's 80's soft-rock pop and Maroon 5's 2010's soft-rock pop. You all sound like old fogies. You either like pop music or you don't, it has little to do with the era you're from or living in.

(I say this as someone who pretty much only listens to alternative rock and jazz).
Well, it depends on your definition of pop music. To me it still means anything that is or is trying to be popular or trying to be an alternative to it. That includes all the many self named variations of rock and pop of the past 50 years, and the pop jazz vocalists of the 40's and 50's before it. And the rhythm and blues and Great American Songbook composers before that.

I'm not blind to each generation claiming things were better in their day. I may sound like an old fogey, but you sound like someone who will eat their words in about twenty years.
Old Today, 03:10 PM   #1166
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydood View Post
I'm not blind to each generation claiming things were better in their day. I may sound like an old fogey, but you sound like someone who will eat their words in about twenty years.
I'm not someone who cares enough about music to fight about it, but I see zero difference between Madonna, Britney Spears and Taylor Swift other than how young you were when they were popular, and I doubt two decades changes that opinion. At that point there will be a new pop princess and 40 year olds will talk about how Taylor Swift was different and "real music" and the human cycle will go on and on and on.
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #1167
Special Member

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Though it's veered off topic, the last couple of pages have been some of the best reading I've seen on this site in awhile.

Nothing against wish listing, but it's been nice having a break.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors