Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Kingdom of Heaven (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Birdman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Penguins of Madagascar (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Penguins of Madagascar (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
101 Dalmatians (Blu-ray)
$18.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$9.96
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #441
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I think Superman III is actually a pretty good comedy film. Superman IV isn't a good anything.
The problem in that regard is simple: the Superman films were not intended as ultra-campy comedies. Puzo's original script was serious from the little I've heard, and most of the silly elements were added later by the Bentons and Robert Newman. When Donner and Mankiewicz took over, they excised the bulk of that crap...and the first film was a huge success because of it. Sadly, the Salkinds went right back to that lazy formula, the moment Donner was fired. They were forced to limit it somewhat with the second film, but they went all-out with #3, turning it into a farce. The main reason Reeve even participated in the fourth was to get the series back on track, away from the idiocy imposed by the Salkinds and Richard Lester. The main reason it didn't work is because the folks at Cannon Films didn't care too much, either.
"The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged for it." ~Henry David Thoreau~

"Your Friendly Neighborhood Moviefan" Thread
Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #442

Apr 2008
Nesconset, New York, United States of America, 11767.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese04 View Post
I was surprised to see a 75% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Going by the Blu-ray.com forums, you'd think it was one of the most hated films ever made.
Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes usually (but far from always) skewer the ratings for people and programming to make them appear less or more hated or liked than they really are. IMO, they are somewhat (but far from completely) dishonest sources.

I don't put much weight in what those sources have to say. I would advise other people to also not put much weight in what Metacritic and RT have to say. But, as the old saying goes, to each their own.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #443

Jun 2011

Halloween 3 Season of the Witch. awesome movie

The Color of Money is another underrated sequel
Thanks given by:
jamesdevil (01-12-2015), JimDiGriz (01-13-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 11:20 PM   #444
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter123 View Post

Word.

Siskel and Ebert both gave it a thumbs down. I loved both men but that is the only time I've been baffled by their review.
I never blind buy.

My Ongoing Top Films of 2014 | 2013
Old 01-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #445
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
The Southland

The Godfather Part III -
Sure its nothing compared to the first two movies, but Part III does a decent job at bringing the Michael Corleone story to a close. Michael's reaction to seeing his daughter killed is his nightmare of when he had Freddo executed. He had to live with that pain and now its runs even deeper. Andy Garcia was great but Robert Duvall was surly missed as George Hamilton just didn't have the right pinoche for the role.

Poltergeist II: The Other Side -
I've always found this sequel to more freakier than the original. Julian Beck who played Kane was really, really creepy, thus making part II just as scary as the original. The gross out moment is when Mr. Freeling vomits the tequila worm that is non other than Kane himself. Of course Beck was supposed to reprise his role in Poltergeist III but was to ill to film long hours.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier -
A good majority of loyal Trekkie's/Trekker's always seem to rank chapter V low in the list of the best to worst Trek feature films. But in essence the story makes some interesting viewpoints based on one's religious beliefs. Over the years for me Trek V holds up well in the entire arc of the Original Series film adventures.

Superman III -
Another one that often gets a bad wrap, but if you can get past Richard Pryor's phoning it in performance and look only at Christopher Reeve's ability to make this cheese fest a fun ride, well we all know the Supes/Kent fight scene is cool and the drunk Superman is hilarious!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:32 AM   #446

May 2014
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
Quote:
Watched this tonight for the first time and enjoyed it just as much as the original.

this needs to go in the unpopular opinions thread.....
Unpopular sure, but I'm wondering how many of the people who trash it have actually seen it. None of the negative reviews I've read go into the kind of detail you'd expect from a critic who actually watched the film; it's usually just knee-jerk "how dare they" outrage over the fact that someone had the unthinkable gall to make a sequel to such a classic, and without the original cast.

Every now and then, however, I come across a review that goes into enough detail to convince me that the critic actually watched the film, and they sing a different tune: 3 out of 4 here and 3 out of 5 here. That last one calls the original overrated and claims that the sequel is slightly better, which I don't quite agree with, but I do agree with the overall sentiment that the sequel is grossly underrated and roughly on the same level as its predecessor.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:36 AM   #447
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Unpopular sure, but I'm wondering how many of the people who trash it have actually seen it. None of the negative reviews I've read go into the kind of detail you'd expect from a critic who actually watched the film; it's usually just knee-jerk "how dare they" outrage over the fact that someone had the unthinkable gall to make a sequel to such a classic, and without the original cast.

Every now and then, however, I come across a review that goes into enough detail to convince me that the critic actually watched the film, and they sing a different tune: 3 out of 4 here and 3 out of 5 here. That last one calls the original overrated and claims that the sequel is slightly better, which I don't quite agree with, but I do agree with the overall sentiment that the sequel is grossly underrated and roughly on the same level as its predecessor.
I have seen it and rate it 2.5 stars (out of 5 stars) (not terrible, not good either)

the original is a solid 4 stars
Old 01-13-2015, 02:38 AM   #448
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guydowood View Post
The Godfather Part III -
S

Poltergeist II: The Other Side -
I've always found this sequel to more freakier than the original. Julian Beck who played Kane was really, really creepy, thus making part II just as scary as the original. The gross out moment is when Mr. Freeling vomits the tequila worm that is non other than Kane himself. Of course Beck was supposed to reprise his role in Poltergeist III but was to ill to film long hours.
Beck was the only good thing in it.... 10 minutes of creepy stuff and the rest of the movie was thoroughly mediocre
Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 AM   #449

May 2014
USA

Quote:
I have seen it and rate it 2.5 stars (out of 5 stars) (not terrible, not good either)

the original is a solid 4 stars
Well, I'll at least credit you for actually watching it. I'd much rather disagree with an honest opinion than agree with a dishonest one. There's too much of that on the internet. But I digress...

Quote:
Beck was the only good thing in it.... 10 minutes of creepy stuff and the rest of the movie was thoroughly mediocre
I'll give Poltergeist II a few more points: in addition to Beck, there's Will Sampson, the tequila bottle, and the chainsaw on the car. "Angry? That car's pissed!"
Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 AM   #450
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008

Quote:
Well, I'll at least credit you for actually watching it. I'd much rather disagree with an honest opinion than agree with a dishonest one. There's too much of that on the internet. But I digress...

I'll give Poltergeist II a few more points: in addition to Beck, there's Will Sampson, the tequila bottle, and the chainsaw on the car. "Angry? That car's pissed!"

as far as THE STING 2 goes I think a lot of it has to do with the cast... Newman, Redford, and Shaw were pretty hard to compete with....
Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 AM   #451

May 2014
USA

Quote:
as far as THE STING 2 goes I think a lot of it has to do with the cast... Newman, Redford, and Shaw were pretty hard to compete with....
I can't say much for Mac Davis replacing Robert Redford (though I think he holds his own well enough) but I thought Jackie Gleason was terrific in Paul Newman's role, and the script is terrific. Hiring the same screenwriter was a good call. There's plenty of good dialogue I remember days after watching it. My favorite, from Gleason: "That's for the wine. If there's anything left, have your wig dry-cleaned."
Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 AM   #452
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
The problem in that regard is simple: the Superman films were not intended as ultra-campy comedies.
Not trying to "toot my own horn" at all, but I've noticed I have much more ability to take a movie for what it is than most people. Superman III is a pretty crappy Superman movie but since it makes me laugh and Richard Pryor is pretty great in it I can just enjoy it for that and not worry about it.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #453
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010
New Zealand

hah, i thrashed supes 3 in my youth. Mind you as a fan of battle beyond the stars, I was pretty big on Robert Vaughn, i rate him as one of my favourite actors. The ditzy sister Lorelei Ross turned out to be a new zealand actress, married to Billy Connolly, that was a buzz (for me) in itself..

in context I hadn't actually become infatuated with the world of superman in comic form, they never interested me, so in saying this i take all 4 movies and ejoy em, knowing the gradual decrease in quality. I still respect them.
# L L A P

Last edited by L-Rouge; 01-13-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #454
Expert Member

Aug 2013
Michigan, USA

Hostel 2 was far more stylish and engaging than part one.

Blair Witch 2 is scarier than the first film.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #455
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter123 View Post

Halloween 3 is the best Halloween film. There, Ive said it. Its the most fun anyway!
I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein!!! And I want to know....what the **** you are doing with my time?!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:18 AM   #456

Oct 2010
canada

batman returns
batman forever
kick-ass 2
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies