COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Spy Game / State of Play (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Originals: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$32.99
WWE: Ladies And Gentleman My Name Is Paul Heyman (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Friday the 13th film(s)?
Friday the 13th (1980) 242 24.82%
Friday the 13th Part II 222 22.77%
Friday the 13th Part 3 3D 144 14.77%
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter 328 33.64%
Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning 69 7.08%
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason lives 248 25.44%
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood 99 10.15%
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 64 6.56%
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday 45 4.62%
Jason X 84 8.62%
Freddy Vs. Jason 102 10.46%
Friday the 13th (2009) 67 6.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 975. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #9361
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eny- View Post
That's the other thing about tins and digibooks/digipaks. Why can't they use a piece of foam to fill the empty space inside the tin so that the digibook doesn't get damaged over time? It's not that hard folks!
The old original DVD box set of Battlestar Galactica (1978) did just this - the Cylon head came with a nice big piece of foam inside packed tight, with a space perfectly cut out to hold the materials inside, nice and centered and protected and unable to shift. Of course the dual-sided DVDs were known to have a rot issue, as I can personally verify.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #9362
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
Just be sure to watch all the movies within the return period in case they're screwed up. I had discs that skipped, although they were obviously scratched.
Not everybody wants to watch 12 Friday the 13th movies in a month, plus all the extras, just to make sure everything works. Personally, I would want to wait until a bit closer to Halloween, when I'm in the mood for them. I buy lots of discs when they're on sale but sometimes I'm not in the modd to watch that particular title as soon as I get it - sometimes I wait until I'm in the mood for it.

As an alternative, if you have a blu-ray drive in your PC, you can pop the discs in one by one and scan them with any one of a variety of disc testing tools, like Opti-Drive Control, or Nero CD Speed, which will test the disc to verify that all sectors are readable. If any sectors fail, return for an exchange.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #9363
Patriot666 Patriot666 is online now
Member
 
Feb 2014
282
91
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Not everybody wants to watch 12 Friday the 13th movies in a month, plus all the extras, just to make sure everything works. Personally, I would want to wait until a bit closer to Halloween, when I'm in the mood for them. I buy lots of discs when they're on sale but sometimes I'm not in the modd to watch that particular title as soon as I get it - sometimes I wait until I'm in the mood for it.

As an alternative, if you have a blu-ray drive in your PC, you can pop the discs in one by one and scan them with any one of a variety of disc testing tools, like Opti-Drive Control, or Nero CD Speed, which will test the disc to verify that all sectors are readable. If any sectors fail, return for an exchange.
Either way, for this set in particular I would test all the discs before the end of the return period. The PC method sounds good. I don't have this option as my Macbook doesn't have a Blu Ray drive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #9364
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
Either way, for this set in particular I would test all the discs before the end of the return period. The PC method sounds good. I don't have this option as my Macbook doesn't have a Blu Ray drive.
Agreed - for this particular set I would definitely recommend either watching them all or scanning them to verify they are fully readable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #9365
Eny- Eny- is online now
Power Member
 
Eny-'s Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
10
1128
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
Just be sure to watch all the movies within the return period in case they're screwed up. I had discs that skipped, although they were obviously scratched.
I would. I'm really psyched to watch these again but I don't have the free time now to do it

I still have to watch Lost since I purchased it back in 2011... 36 discs on that. I hope I don't run into any problem
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #9366
superbura9 superbura9 is online now
Member
 
Sep 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonthegreat View Post
Yeah... sorry about falling out of contact with regards to the real 3D version of Friday the 13th 3D. I actually had a computer crash last summer and lost the source files of all of the work I did to create it. After that, I kind of gave up on working on it to finish it. I also hit a wall with trying to figure out how to author a 3D blu-ray...

Now that some time has passed, I think I am going to pick this up again... recreate the project from scratch and finally finish the freaking thing. Stay tuned!
Whoah...! Real 3D version as opposed to anaglyph?! Please keep us posted, Sir! Hope you get those files together again and give us some download links. This sounds awesome, keep up the good work
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #9367
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbura9 View Post
Whoah...! Real 3D version as opposed to anaglyph?! Please keep us posted, Sir! Hope you get those files together again and give us some download links. This sounds awesome, keep up the good work
I've seen his "workprint" 3D version, and it was stunning. It put's the anaglyph version to shame. When 3D films are released in 2D, the studio uses either the left eye view or the right eye view. With Friday the 13th part III, the blu-ray used the right-eye view, but the old 2001 DVD used the left eye. That's the basis for reconstructing the 3D version. You combine the 2 views back together and voila! True 3D as they filmed it, not fake and not a poor anaglyph conversion.

Now of course this method has drawbacks - the obvious one being the left eye view is only DVD quality, and the color also differs from the blu-ray release. Your eyes blend those 2 images together though when you see them in 3D, and the blu-ray quality of the right-eye view helps to compensate for the DVD quality of the left-eye view. What you end up seeing is something in-between blu-ray and DVD quality. The colors aren't perfectly matched, but your eyes seem to forgive that overall when seeing them together.

Another issue is that for some reason, either the blu-ray or the DVD seemed to replace certain shots or short scenes with the other eye's view for whatever reason (perhaps the other view had damage maybe?), so that means that around 5 percent of the footage contains the same eye view - meaning around 5 percent of the film is in 2D, not 3D. Those shots are totally flat and very noticeable and happen from time to time throughout the film. Thankfully they are usually quick shots. A couple shots sadly are great gimmick shots - like the bat early in the film, and maybe the juggling shots later if I remember correctly. Sadly those were flat in the "workprint" version. There are also a few problem shots that had issues, but again, this might get ironed out in his final version if possible.

The vast majority of the film though is in true 3D, and looked pretty spectacular. The depth was amazing, and right from the beginning credits, you knew it was going to be a fun ride when the titles literally zoomed out of the television screen at you. The many gimmick shots worked great and came right out of the screen as they were meant to. Of course the 2 stereo images could use some proper vertical alignment, but even retail releases like Amityville 3D weren't aligned like they should have been.

What's amazing is that this reconstruction is even possible, and that somebody took the time to make this happen at all. It's the closest you can possibly get to seeing it as it was meant to be seen, in 3D, until Paramount does the right thing and releases a proper 3D version. For all we know that may not ever even happen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #9368
superbura9 superbura9 is online now
Member
 
Sep 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I've seen his "workprint" 3D version, and it was stunning. It put's the anaglyph version to shame. When 3D films are released in 2D, the studio uses either the left eye view or the right eye view. With Friday the 13th part III, the blu-ray used the right-eye view, but the old 2001 DVD used the left eye. That's the basis for reconstructing the 3D version. You combine the 2 views back together and voila! True 3D as they filmed it, not fake and not a poor anaglyph conversion.

Now of course this method has drawbacks - the obvious one being the left eye view is only DVD quality, and the color also differs from the blu-ray release. Your eyes blend those 2 images together though when you see them in 3D, and the blu-ray quality of the right-eye view helps to compensate for the DVD quality of the left-eye view. What you end up seeing is something in-between blu-ray and DVD quality. The colors aren't perfectly matched, but your eyes seem to forgive that overall when seeing them together.

Another issue is that for some reason, either the blu-ray or the DVD seemed to replace certain shots or short scenes with the other eye's view for whatever reason (perhaps the other view had damage maybe?), so that means that around 5 percent of the footage contains the same eye view - meaning around 5 percent of the film is in 2D, not 3D. Those shots are totally flat and very noticeable and happen from time to time throughout the film. Thankfully they are usually quick shots. A couple shots sadly are great gimmick shots - like the bat early in the film, and maybe the juggling shots later if I remember correctly. Sadly those were flat in the "workprint" version. There are also a few problem shots that had issues, but again, this might get ironed out in his final version if possible.

The vast majority of the film though is in true 3D, and looked pretty spectacular. The depth was amazing, and right from the beginning credits, you knew it was going to be a fun ride when the titles literally zoomed out of the television screen at you. The many gimmick shots worked great and came right out of the screen as they were meant to. Of course the 2 stereo images could use some proper vertical alignment, but even retail releases like Amityville 3D weren't aligned like they should have been.

What's amazing is that this reconstruction is even possible, and that somebody took the time to make this happen at all. It's the closest you can possibly get to seeing it as it was meant to be seen, in 3D, until Paramount does the right thing and releases a proper 3D version. For all we know that may not ever even happen.
The more details you provide about this 3-D reconstruction, the more saliva is being produced in anticipation...what can I say, other than "WOW"?! Rock on, dudes and keep up the great work
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:22 AM.