Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Boyhood (Blu-ray)
$14.97
Orange Is the New Black: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray)
$4.88
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$63.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-10-2015, 02:33 AM   #821
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Just watched the 40th Anniversary Edition and it looks fantastic . A huge upgrade from the 2007 release.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:02 AM   #822
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
His choreography and fights here are amazing, but the plot is the real winner. The idea of going up a pagoda and encountering a new fighter on each level is so cool.
Then the 8-bit NES Kung-Fu game should have gotten awards for writing
Old 04-10-2015, 04:55 AM   #823
Expert Member

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Then the 8-bit NES Kung-Fu game should have gotten awards for writing
Pretty sure a lot of videogames and some more recent martial arts films have copied the idea enough times that it's become a trope. So even though Lee never finished it, the idea of that story still has its place in pop culture history.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #824
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post
Pretty sure a lot of videogames and some more recent martial arts films have copied the idea enough times that it's become a trope. So even though Lee never finished it, the idea of that story still has its place in pop culture history.
True and don't get me started on Bruceploitation.
Importer supporter. & Multi-Region Capable! "If you're not region free, you should be." - Nocturnaloner
The Other Stuff +133 BD's
Film grain and original cinematic audio advocate.
Gimme Blu-ray disc ONLY!
Old 04-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #825

Jan 2015
Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
Your lack of reading skills amuses me.

I prefer the 40th Anniversary release.

It seems you cannot take a hint.

I have NO lack of reading skills thank you!

Nor do I need to 'take a hint'

You complained about the 2007 release, AND the 2013; bit*hing and moaning about problems on both; yet finally declaring you prefer the 2013.

Trouble is that the problems you describe in the 2013 release don't really exist - and I'm not alone in saying this as you must be well aware.

The transfer is what it is: a pretty faithful rendition of a 1973 35mm film shot on a low budget, that even on its initial release suffered from inconsistencies in both lighting and framing to name but two areas.
I think. I think I am, therefore I am, I think . . .
Old 04-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #826
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRegan View Post
I have NO lack of reading skills thank you!

Nor do I need to 'take a hint'

You complained about the 2007 release, AND the 2013; bit*hing and moaning about problems on both; yet finally declaring you prefer the 2013.

Trouble is that the problems you describe in the 2013 release don't really exist - and I'm not alone in saying this as you must be well aware.

The transfer is what it is: a pretty faithful rendition of a 1973 35mm film shot on a low budget, that even on its initial release suffered from inconsistencies in both lighting and framing to name but two areas.
2007 transfer, aliasing and framing artifacts i.e. soft/blurry edges to the frame, haloing on the edges. The 40th Anniversary does not feature such:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...y=92#vergleich

Thus, 40th Anniversary release wins.

2007 transfer suffers from bad aliasing, 40th Anniversary release does not:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...=236#vergleich

40th Anniversary features white clipping i.e. no detail within bright lit areas:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...=236#vergleich

The sky looks like one big cloud rather than being blue with clouds.

Push towards higher contrast i.e. 'vintage look', rather than natural:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...=298#vergleich

Boosted contrast aside, producing punchier colours, some white clipping and lowering detail within blacks, I would take the 40th Anniversary release over the poorly encoded, aliasing ridden, artifact ridden 2007 release.

I have always declared preferring the 40th Anni release, you just cannot read.
"It's too bad she won't live.. But then again who does."
Old 04-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #827
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

That shot of the supposed clipping isn't the best example Tech, I can still clearly see the undulations in the fabric and anything finer (like stitching) is being eaten up by the aliasing anyway. As for the shot of the sifu sitting with the sky in the background, it's not like there's an incredible array of detail that's being blown out, there's more of a difference in tones (old one doesn't look like blue sky & clouds to me, it looks like differing levels of cloud, not unusual in humid HK) which is still there on screen right in the new transfer, only it's a lot lighter. [edit] And here's one that's actually brighter on the old disc, so the new one doesn't have some blanket brightness boost: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ess=#vergleich

In any case, I like that contrastier, old fashioned look because it fits the film rather well. You can bet your ass that an IB Tech print wouldn't have looked as deathly dull as the old Blu-ray.

Last edited by Geoff D; 04-10-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #828
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

I agree that 'clipping white' isn't the best term to of used, as the white isn't peak white, but rather it is due to the boost in contrast/difference in contrast between the two transfers.

I like the 40th anniversary release, I agree, its the best that the film has looked on home video, but for some reason the other poster seems to think its the best transfer ever, as you know Geoff, just because one like's something doesn't make it perfect, as most members of this site would come to the same conclusion, we all nit-pick the transfers, even the best ones, but my beef is with that poster, reading what he wants to, where in fact I was merely pointing out the issues with both releases, and as others have said, they actually favour the 2007 release in terms of colour, but if only that poster took their time to view the posts in this thread, they might have a better idea on what is being discussed, rather than, from my point of view trolling, because they aren't providing much else on this forum.

To be honest, I am not going to say anything else on the matter, because it seems as though I am just adding fuel to the fire for the other poster, which I don't want to waste time doing.

Lets talk EFNY.
"It's too bad she won't live.. But then again who does."

Last edited by Tech-UK; 04-10-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #829

Nov 2010
Harrow, United Kingdom
Send a message via AIM to nishomac Send a message via Skype™ to nishomac

Got my CA version of this for 12 bucks can't go wrong.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America