Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Boyhood (Blu-ray)
$14.97
Orange Is the New Black: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray)
$4.88
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$63.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #141
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011

I'm still hoping that this will get a release in a non-English speaking country. Because if it does, then it's a good chance that it will be the original theatrical cut.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Old 05-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #142
Expert Member

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash_black View Post
tooo desperate
The only desperate thing here is one too many "o"s
Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #143
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post
I've been saying it for years. Although, it'd be nice to have the option of the original, the comic panel changes account for like, 20 seconds of changed footage. Iit's silly to miss out on this excellent transfer over the changes. I could understand if entire scenes had been altered or critical plot footage had been changed, but seriously, a few scenes change with comic panels and people flip their sh!t. LOL!
The narrated intro with illustrated panels is longer than 20 seconds and is part of the new version.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #144
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
The narrated intro with illustrated panels is longer than 20 seconds and is part of the new version.
You are correct. The intro is just a little longer than that. And while disappointing, I just think it's a shame to miss out on such an excellent transfer over that short intro and a few five second comic panels.
"Does the Blu-ray version of '.......' look better than it's DVD version?"

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #145
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post
You are correct. The intro is just a little longer than that. And while disappointing, I just think it's a shame to miss out on such an excellent transfer over that short intro and a few five second comic panels.
The transfer is exceptional.

If your young and never seen the original, then the most likely the comic additions wont bother you.

Another "complaint" is not just the comic "stills", but the fat white line that highlight the swipes like its an actually comic book that your reading.

If I recall, the For TV version throughout the 80's included the deleted early scenes like Cleon talkin w/ his girlfriend and the inital rally/introduction speech on the boardwalk before they actually leave for Van Courtland Park (Riverside Park in Manhattan) in the Bronx. I'd like to get that version as a 3rd edition along side the Theatrical & "Defector's" Cut.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #146
Power Member

Nov 2008
Minnesota

The comic panels actually ruin the flow of action in some scenes; that garbage is scattered throughout the entire film, not just in one place.

One of the movie's best aspects is its bizarro sci-fi atmosphere in an urban setting. That's greatly reduced by the introduction of silly comic book transitions.

So yeah, I won't be buying the director's cut Blu-ray no matter how good the PQ because that ish is a rotten tomato.

The theatrical cut was on Netflix in HD at one point. Someone's bound to release that version eventually. Till then, I'll hang on to my DVD.
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
Thanks given by:
WorkShed (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #147
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012

The dvd of the theatrical cut looks preaty good for a dvd. I bought it a few years back when I learned that the only available blu-ray is the director's cut.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #148

Sep 2011
UK

Interesting the way Hill has been compared to Lucas as The Baseball Furies and Lizzies were clearly trained at the Stormtrooper school of combat.

I've only seen the Theatrical version but it would pain me ever time I saw those excessive exclamation marks on the Director's cut.

"Well, sorry 'bout that"
Old 05-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #149
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
The dvd of the theatrical cut looks preaty good for a dvd. I bought it a few years back when I learned that the only available blu-ray is the director's cut.
Yep, the DVD's pretty darned good.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #150
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yep, the DVD's pretty darned good.
I've actually found that there are a few Paramount dvd's from that era that still look preaty good, Black Sunday (1977) being another example.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #151
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
I've actually found that there are a few Paramount dvd's from that era that still look preaty good, Black Sunday (1977) being another example.
Paramount did have a rep for great catalog transfers, mostly deserved from what I've seen.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #152
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztoffer Swank View Post
The theatrical cut was on Netflix in HD at one point.
The version that HBO / Cinemax currently airs in HD is the theatrical cut as well.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Movies for sale (includes a few brand new Criterions)
Old 05-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #153
Suspended

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

Considering the state of physical media, I wouldn't hold my breath for an eventual Blu ray release of the theatircal version
Old 05-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #154
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Paramount did have a rep for great catalog transfers, mostly deserved from what I've seen.
On DVD, maybe. On Blu-ray......not so much.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #155

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
I'm really surprised to see so many complain about the additions to the film. I quite like them myself, since the film felt like a comic already. There's one jarring edit that bugs me, but other then that, I had no real complaints.
I remember being so excited when a DC was announced, but I was gutted when I watched it. Every change makes the film worse. I was looking recently to see if the original was out anywhere in the world, sad to see (much like Almost Famous) you can only get the worse cut.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #156
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-
-

$4.xx on Amazon right now.
~RANKING 2015 FILMS~
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls073654147/

Thanks given by:
mrbuff (05-15-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #157

Sep 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematt View Post
I remember being so excited when a DC was announced, but I was gutted when I watched it. Every change makes the film worse. I was looking recently to see if the original was out anywhere in the world
UK Netflix has the theatrical version in HD.
Quote:
sad to see (much like Almost Famous) you can only get the worse cut.
I've never heard that opinion. I love them both, I can never decide which version to watch.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America