Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Predestination (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Wild (Blu-ray)
$15.00
3 Games to Glory IV (Blu-ray)
$34.59
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$87.99
Weeds: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.49
Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$20.00
Big Eyes (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
Mr. Turner (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Cannibal Ferox (Blu-ray)
$24.99
I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$35.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-15-2015, 01:19 AM   #2861

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Agreed, but that's what those grand kids are going to know...download and streaming.
Yep, seen 8 tracks, records, cassettes and VHS's fade away. Could not give away an old tube tv I had...worked fine...but off to the junk yard. And I guess we are close to the end of CD's, DVD's and such. Our community had a yard sale last week...many DVD's and CD's were up for sale...some were getting rid of their whole collections. Saying the never watch them anymore. It's good to see so many members here...folks are still interested for now.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:24 AM   #2862
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->91 SteelBooks™--------------------->159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Yep, seen 8 tracks, records, cassettes and VHS's fade away. Could not give away an old tube tv I had...worked fine...but off to the junk yard. And I guess we are close to the end of CD's, DVD's and such. Our community had a yard sale last week...many DVD's and CD's were up for sale...some were getting rid of their whole collections. Saying the never watch them anymore. It's good to see so many members here...folks are still interested for now.
A digital collection is great for access on your computer, tablet, or phone, but I always prefer physical media. I am glad the CEMs wised up with the BDA because they true 4K could not be delivered in the next decade over the internet.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
Old 04-15-2015, 01:42 AM   #2863

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
A digital collection is great for access on your computer, tablet, or phone, but I always prefer physical media. I am glad the CEMs wised up with the BDA because they true 4K could not be delivered in the next decade over the internet.
That gives blu-rays 10 years...till the end of the run. If that's the case we will likely see UHD blu-rays make good gains for a while. But are you speaking of streaming a 4k movie? Or downloading a purchased 4k movie? If a 4k movie can be bought and downloaded...I don't know how well 4k blu-rays would sell.

Guess I have spent a lot over the years on movie's, dvd and blu-rays (have more than 70 3D ones)...hate the thought of them becoming...of little value...
Old 04-15-2015, 01:45 AM   #2864
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->91 SteelBooks™--------------------->159

Quote:
That gives blu-rays 10 years...till the end of the run. If that's the case we will likely see UHD blu-rays make good gains for a while. But are you speaking of streaming a 4k movie? Or downloading a purchased 4k movie? If a 4k movie can be bought and downloaded...I don't know how well 4k blu-rays would sell.

Guess I have spent a lot over the years on movie's, dvd and blu-rays (have more than 70 3D ones)...hate the thought of them becoming...of little value...
Download or streaming. It really doesn't matter because as I said it will be years before anything digital can touch the PQ of physical media.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
Thanks given by:
jordanwalkert (04-20-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 03:37 AM   #2865
Power Member

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Download or streaming. It really doesn't matter because as I said it will be years before anything digital can touch the PQ of physical media.
I really don't understand the big deal with download/streaming. I know I'm in my 30's and used to physical media but seriously, isn't it great to be able to go over to your shelf, pick a film out that you own, and watch it in the very best presentation possible?!?! how could someone that loves film view them in any other way besides going to the cinema?
Thanks given by:
eChopper (04-15-2015), jordanwalkert (04-20-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #2866
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:

As physical media becomes more niche those discs will go up in value, not down, in all likelihood. They are down in value today, but in 20 years if the old blu ray is the only way to own (random example movie) DRM free and at a high bitrate then collectors are going to want that disc.

I give UBD 50/50 odds at best of being much of a thing, but BD itself can carry on the niche physical media market just fine for a long time. 4k titles downscaled to BD look amazing and the compression benefits alone should make them look better than 4k streams.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:59 AM   #2867
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2014

Amazingly, since many "new" movies were/are being mastered in 2K, BD is about the best they'll look anyway.
Please do these things before posting:
1) Read the OP of a thread.
2) Read the last two pages of a thread.
3) Use the Search function.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:03 AM   #2868
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
Amazingly, since many "new" movies were/are being mastered in 2K, BD is about the best they'll look anyway.
Yup, and a lot of classic films will never get remastered again either. BD is going to be the best quality ever available for a lot of movies. Build your collections now.
Thanks given by:
jscoggins (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 05:40 AM   #2869
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

I wonder if when UHD comes out whether we will see 'Mastered in 8K' films from those that were in 70mm?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 AM   #2870
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
I wonder if when UHD comes out whether we will see 'Mastered in 8K' films from those that were in 70mm?
That'd be nice. I know North by Northwest is an easy release for UHD since WB scanned it in 8K, right?
Importer supporter. & Multi-Region Capable! "If you're not region free, you should be." - Nocturnaloner
The Other Stuff +133 BD's
Film grain and original cinematic audio advocate.
Gimme Blu-ray disc ONLY!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #2871
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Most 4K masters don't start life as 4K anyway, they're scanned at 6K (or higher) for the purposes of oversampling.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #2872

Sep 2008

Quote:
I believe you'll find that on the cover of the SAMSARA bluray.
"Remind me to stay out of the STAR WARS threads."
Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #2873
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post
I believe you'll find that on the cover of the SAMSARA bluray.
I think it was only mentioned in the documentaries. This film was scanned in 8K and Mastered in 4K.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #2874
Expert Member

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Most 4K masters don't start life as 4K anyway, they're scanned at 6K (or higher) for the purposes of oversampling.
Then why not master them at 6K in the first place?
For every laugh, there should be a tear. - Walt Disney
Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #2875
Suspended

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
Old 04-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #2876
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post

LOLZ
John Macclane; Sorry Hans, wrong guess. Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #2877
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
Because 35mm tops out at 4K, maybe just a shade over with the best glass, lots of light, slow stock and a fat negative (optimal conditions, basically). But you generally go higher than what you're mastering for because you get better results (less aliasing, finer grain, etc) by oversampling the quality than just directly capturing that resolution.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America