COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Disney Parks: The Secrets, Stories and Magic Behind the Scenes (Blu-ray)
$9.95
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Restored Jazz Big Band Classics (Blu-ray)
$141.30
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$183.99
Veep: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Earth From Above: Stunning Water (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Showdown (Blu-ray)
$37.95
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lucy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Batman: Assault on Arkham (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Ernest & Celestine (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sabrina (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #1081
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
USA

Unfortunately they recut the original downer ending of Conquest into something positive.
"We got this, man! We got this by the ass!"
Old 07-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #1082

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
A popular film series today could never get away with the downer, bleak, depressing endings these films delivered back then.
Harry Potter, Nolan's Batman? Those are the only other ones that come to my mind.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #1083

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I don't remember Conquest at all. Please tell me it's at least a bit lighter? Not sure if I can stomach five movies in a row that make me want to jump off a bridge.

That said, they're all still fun to watch. Mostly
Conquest ? light?
It is the only one NOT rated G, so....

I wouldn't call the ending of Conquest depressing, in fact, it is rather triumphant, for lack of a better word, so it is kinda-sorta a "happy" ending ?
All how you interpret it I suppose.

But the good news for you is that Battle For is much lighter, kiddie stuff.
Then you can watch the TV series, which is even more light.
October 26, 2010: a great day for Blu-ray
Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #1084

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslein View Post
I wouldn't call the director of The Guns of Navarone a hack. I always find something interesting in his films.
I very much like GUNS OF NAVARONE and CAPE FEAR and think them very well directed, but then Thompson followed with TARAS BULBA, KINGS OF THE SUN, WHAT A WAY TO GO!, and JOHN GOLDFARB, PLEASE COME HOME. And later would come one of the most bizarre westerns ever, MACKENNA'S GOLD.

It speaks for itself.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #1085

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

Mackenna's Gold is great. I really like Reincarnation of Peter Proud as well.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #1086

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars396 View Post
But the good news for you is that Battle For is much lighter, kiddie stuff.
Battle is very sad. As a kid I was devastated when
[Show spoiler] Aldo killed Caesar's son. Then the pathetic Aldo is shamed & killed in retribution
Old 07-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #1087
Special Member

Jul 2011
Buffalofart, AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
A popular film series today could never get away with the downer, bleak, depressing endings these films delivered back then.
No kidding. The 70s as a whole had a lot of bleak movies.

It seemed to be a real trend at the time to try and depress your audience as much as you could.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #1088
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr1 View Post
No kidding. The 70s as a whole had a lot of bleak movies.

It seemed to be a real trend at the time to try and depress your audience as much as you could.
...and then George Lucas decided to change that trend
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #1089

Apr 2011

Quote:
I bought the set at WM recently. The original was the only one I really knew, the sequels I hadn't seen since they aired on TV sometime in the early 90s. I'm telling you, I'm not sure I can take many more "downer" endings. The end of Beneath was more bizarre than depressing, but the end of Escape... Good Lord, I felt like I needed a hug. The movie as a whole didn't seem to be mean spirited; the first act was actually kind of sweet. But holy shit, thing went from zero to gut punch pretty fast near the end.

I don't remember Conquest at all. Please tell me it's at least a bit lighter? Not sure if I can stomach five movies in a row that make me want to jump off a bridge.

That said, they're all still fun to watch. Mostly
I recently went though all 5 for a friend that had never seen them. His reaction was priceless. It seem his jaw dropped more with each film's ending. He liked all 5, yes even BATTLE. I was surprised he actually liked BATTLE a lot. He was also very much affected by the less than happy endings of all. Devastated by ESCAPE. His reaction to all was that he views them know what time they come from (produced) and understood the short comings of production. He said he was completely taken in by the characters and drama that unfolded which held it all together. It was for presentation of the characters and the excellent acting he felt the films blows away most film today where the acting tries to be so real it comes of understated and boring. Also, he really like the look of the film's the lighting, color and production design.

It was great experiencing it thought someone in a fresh way. I have to say it bought back memories when I saw they in the theater for the first time (Escape, Conquest & Battle) in their original release. (Years later I did see all 5 in a GO APE re-release, but that wasn't a fresh audience).

He was excited when RISE first came out but didn't get a change to go. He did watch later on cable and hated it for many reasons.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:50 AM   #1090

Nov 2010

So I ordered the older collection with the pics of the apes, amazon said (at the time) it would take an additional 10 days (for whatever reason). So I wait and got it 2 weeks later. Upon receiving the package, I noticed it wasn't as thick as it should be. Welp, they sent me the new collection instead (which was in stock at the time I ordered). They screwed themselves out of $25 b/c it's $45 on their website (I know it's only $19.99+tax @ BB). I know it's stupidly nit-picky, but I wanted the version with the apes on the covers. Since there is no difference as far as disc content, it's slimmer and I saved money, I'm gonna keep it (don't really have the room for the bulkier set anyway). I'm disappointed though that I had to wait all that time, just to get what I coulda gotten at least 10 days earlier (which woulda been preferable). Can't wait to see that 2 hour documentary and the additional footage in some of the movies!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #1091

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias77 View Post
So I ordered the older collection with the pics of the apes, amazon said (at the time) it would take an additional 10 days (for whatever reason). So I wait and got it 2 weeks later. Upon receiving the package, I noticed it wasn't as thick as it should be. Welp, they sent me the new collection instead (which was in stock at the time I ordered). They screwed themselves out of $25 b/c it's $45 on their website (I know it's only $19.99+tax @ BB). I know it's stupidly nit-picky, but I wanted the version with the apes on the covers. Since there is no difference as far as disc content, it's slimmer and I saved money, I'm gonna keep it (don't really have the room for the bulkier set anyway). I'm disappointed though that I had to wait all that time, just to get what I coulda gotten at least 10 days earlier (which woulda been preferable). Can't wait to see that 2 hour documentary and the additional footage in some of the movies!
I have the set you originally tired to get and hate the way the discs are held in place - stupid rubber glued to the book that fits into the hold at the center of the disc) In time it can come off and rip the book. So I decided to get the set for $20 at BB since the website stated it was in stock at my local store - it wasn't. I then ordered it from BB and it took them 2 weeks to process it and send it. Meanwhile it came back in stock in 2 days at the store even though the sales person looked it up and it said none on order - also the BB website had stated on store pick-up.
I hate BB.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:35 AM   #1092

Nov 2010

Man, that sucks! I can't believe their computer said they didn't have anymore on the way, they've got a deal going on, they have to at least try to keep it stocked until the promotion is over. Then their website saying it would take 2 weeks for you to get it, what a load of b.s.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:15 AM   #1093
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
I have the set you originally tired to get and hate the way the discs are held in place - stupid rubber glued to the book that fits into the hold at the center of the disc) In time it can come off and rip the book.
I had that set long enough to remove one disc and try putting it back on the rubber hub and think "Yeah...this isn't going to work," before ordering a five-disc BD case.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #1094

Apr 2011

FOX did the same thing with THE OMEN, except they really went cheap with the box/fold out packaging. At least they've dropped that way of doing things.
Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM   #1095

Jan 2014

Conquest was pretty good. Nothing to complain about, really. But yeah, not only was the revised ending poorly done, but it was pretty out of nowhere in the context of what came before. I imagine all of Caesar's gorillas were over there going WTF?

Easily the best one since the original. Now, do I go forward with Battle? I've heard nothing but bad about it but I suppose I've come this far...
Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM   #1096
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
USA

If you go on to Battle, just make sure it's the "extended" cut. It's still a pretty lousy movie, but at least that version has a little more meat to its story.
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #1097

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post
If you go on to Battle, just make sure it's the "extended" cut. It's still a pretty lousy movie, but at least that version has a little more meat to its story.
I'll do theatrical first. Gotta see 'em the way everyone else did.

If I survive, I'll do extended some day.
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #1098

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

Quote:
I'll do theatrical first. Gotta see 'em the way everyone else did.

If I survive, I'll do extended some day.
Until the late 80's, the only version that appeared on television was the extended cut. So unless you saw it in the theater, the extended cut is what you knew.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America