Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bullet to the Head (Blu-ray)
$8.85

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #701

Jun 2013

That German Steelbook looks great. Wish I could snag it somehow.
Best film of the decade so far: Cloud Atlas.

Worst film of the decade so far: Movie 43.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #702
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Debts View Post
That German Steelbook looks great. Wish I could snag it somehow.
Just order it from AmazonDE. They ship worldwide.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #703
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Just order it from AmazonDE. They ship worldwide.
Near tempted to order that myself,13 is a very good price.
I only watched it the other night for the first time,I enjoyed it,I thought it was good,baffling,intriguing,funny.....it was a bundle of everything and has me curious for a second viewing(first one was a rental)
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #704
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villiam Hayes View Post
Near tempted to order that myself,13 is a very good price.
I only watched it the other night for the first time,I enjoyed it,I thought it was good,baffling,intriguing,funny.....it was a bundle of everything and has me curious for a second viewing(first one was a rental)
It was a fantastic film. And here I thought everyone said noting original comes out of Hollywood? Well, I was thoroughly entertained.
I had not reservations clicking the order button on that steelbook. Like the film, it's quite amazing.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #705
Special Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
It was a fantastic film. And here I thought everyone said noting original comes out of Hollywood? Well, I was thoroughly entertained.
I had not reservations clicking the order button on that steelbook. Like the film, it's quite amazing.
This didn't come from Hollywood. It's a German film. Widely believed to be one of the most expensive indie films of all time and the first German blockbuster...

It's also based on a novel by British author David Mitchell, so it's originality is disputable...
Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #706
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Yeah it certainly oozes originality,how they went about putting that together I do not know(I guess the extra's may show me)but it was a fantastic bit of film making.

I thought Tom Hanks was great again,'Dermot' was amazing but I think Jim Broadbent stole the show,he was fantastic.

I have bought a bucket load of Blu's from Xmas,four today and I promised myself,no more for a week or so....this site is not good for the wallet,ya have me close to that buy button rickah.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #707
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Yeah it certainly oozes originality,how they went about putting that together I do not know(I guess the extra's may show me)but it was a fantastic bit of film making.

I thought Tom Hanks was great again,'Dermot' was amazing but I think Jim Broadbent stole the show,he was fantastic.

I have bought a bucket load of Blu's from Xmas,four today and I promised myself,no more for a week or so....this site is not good for the wallet,ya have me close to that buy button rickah.
I know this site has made me buy stuff I probably would've never known about!!!!
You can look at it like this: It's on AmazonDE, which means it probably won't sell out any time soon. So you've got some time to mull it over. Also if something comes up, down the road, unforeseen...you can always cancel.
But the most important thing, at least in my opinion: get what makes you happy! You can never go wrong there!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #708
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz201 View Post
This didn't come from Hollywood. It's a German film. Widely believed to be one of the most expensive indie films of all time and the first German blockbuster...

It's also based on a novel by British author David Mitchell, so it's originality is disputable...
I should've know that, as it was dicussed, quite a bit, on the extras. Okay so Hollywood is back in the doghouse!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #709
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
I know this site has made me buy stuff I probably would've never known about!!!!
You can look at it like this: It's on AmazonDE, which means it probably won't sell out any time soon. So you've got some time to mull it over. Also if something comes up, down the road, unforeseen...you can always cancel.
But the most important thing, at least in my opinion: get what makes you happy! You can never go wrong there!
I pre-ordered it rickah I must've been drunker than I thought last night as I totally missed that it wasn't available yet.

Edit:I just read on the thread about forced German subs,damn,that may just make me cancel again,ahh well.

Last edited by Villiam Hayes; 01-26-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #710
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
I pre-ordered it rickah I must've been drunker than I thought last night as I totally missed that it wasn't available yet.

Edit:I just read on the thread about forced German subs,damn,that may just make me cancel again,ahh well.
LOL! Well if you're drunk while watching it, you won't care about the subs!
You still have plenty of time to cancel if you so choose!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:29 AM   #711

Dec 2008

For anyone who hasn't yet bought this movie --

Found a copy in the discount bin at my local Walmart. Haven't opened it yet but as far as I can tell it's a BD/DVD/UV combo without the slipcover. Anyway, it had a new barcode on it via a sticker, and it scanned at $6.96, which is ridiculously low so I bought it. Just an FYI.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #712
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
For anyone who hasn't yet bought this movie --

Found a copy in the discount bin at my local Walmart. Haven't opened it yet but as far as I can tell it's a BD/DVD/UV combo without the slipcover. Anyway, it had a new barcode on it via a sticker, and it scanned at $6.96, which is ridiculously low so I bought it. Just an FYI.
It was likely left over from Black Friday. Walmart had this title for $6.96 on Black Friday. As far as I know, Walmart doesn't have any $6.96 bins, so they probably just threw their BF overstock into the $7.88 bins to get rid of them.
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS FAN FOR LIFE!
Vizio 50" (M501d-A2R) LED 1080p 240Hz Smart 3D HDTV
Sony 160gb Slim PS3
Microsoft 160gb Xbox 360
Sony (STR-KS370) Home Theater System
Letterboxd

Last edited by Sad Beautiful Tragic; 02-12-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #713
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Beautiful Tragic View Post
It was likely left over from Black Friday. Walmart had this title for $6.96 on Black Friday. As far as I know, Walmart doesn't have any $6.96 bins, so they probably just threw their BF overstock into the $7.88 bins to get rid of them.
That is the one benefit of many of Walmart's sale items: special barcodes. If copies linger, you can score way after the fact.
DVDTalk Blu-Ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-Rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | Letterboxd | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #714

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Beautiful Tragic View Post
Ohh ok, that makes sense. I was also surprised since their discount bin is $7.88 and not $6.96, but it being a BF leftover explains that. Might swing by again today and dig a little deeper, there may be some other gems I failed to notice haha
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #715

Jun 2011
Indianapolis, USA
Default Cloud Atlas - CIH friendly subtitles?

Can somebody who owns "Cloud Atlas" please let me know if it has CIH-friendly subtitles? In other words, do the subtitles stay within the image frame the whole time, or do they go into the black bars? Thanks!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #716
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post
Can somebody who owns "Cloud Atlas" please let me know if it has CIH-friendly subtitles? In other words, do the subtitles stay within the image frame the whole time, or do they go into the black bars? Thanks!
What is CIH?

Where it's only one line, the subs stay within the black bars (usually bottom, but sometimes top). However, when it requires two lines, one is in the black and one is in the picture. This is true for all three languages.
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #717

Jun 2011
Indianapolis, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
What is CIH?

Where it's only one line, the subs stay within the black bars (usually bottom, but sometimes top). However, when it requires two lines, one is in the black and one is in the picture. This is true for all three languages.
Thanks for the info, that's what I needed to know. So Cloud Atlas is not "CIH-friendly"

CIH refers to "Constant Image Height", and is usually used in regards to front-projector systems where the screen is in the extra-wide 2.35:1 format AKA "Cinamascope". So the screen is wider than a regular 16:9 HDTV screen, so that when you are watching a wide-screen 2.35 movie, there are no black bars above/below. But when you are watching 16:9 or 4:3 material then there are black bars on the SIDES (but the image height remains constant).

The bad part is, for 2.35 movies that place the subtitles in the black bars, the subtitles will not be visible and/or easily readable since they will fall outside the screen and at least partly onto the black masking/frame around the screen area.

Oppo Blu-ray players have an option to shift subtitles up or down, but for movies that have subtitles below AND above, then subtitle-shift doesn't completely fix the problem, since by bumping the bottom subtitles up, you are also bumping the above subtitles even higher. So if this movie puts the subtitles below AND above, then that's a bummer.

There has been talk about Oppo offering a subtitle "pinch" feature in a future firmware update that would move bottom subtitles up and top subtitles down, but apparently it has been difficult to implement, so they have not released the feature.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #718

Jun 2011
Indianapolis, USA

A picture is worth 1000 words, as they say, so here are a couple screenshots that demonstrate the CIH subtitle issue:

The images come from an excellent article on High-Def Digest in regards to the CIH subtitle problem. Here's the link for anybody who's interested:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/4142
Old 03-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #719
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Thanks for the info, that's what I needed to know. So Cloud Atlas is not "CIH-friendly"

CIH refers to "Constant Image Height", and is usually used in regards to front-projector systems where the screen is in the extra-wide 2.35:1 format AKA "Cinamascope". So the screen is wider than a regular 16:9 HDTV screen, so that when you are watching a wide-screen 2.35 movie, there are no black bars above/below. But when you are watching 16:9 or 4:3 material then there are black bars on the SIDES (but the image height remains constant).

The bad part is, for 2.35 movies that place the subtitles in the black bars, the subtitles will not be visible and/or easily readable since they will fall outside the screen and at least partly onto the black masking/frame around the screen area.

Oppo Blu-ray players have an option to shift subtitles up or down, but for movies that have subtitles below AND above, then subtitle-shift doesn't completely fix the problem, since by bumping the bottom subtitles up, you are also bumping the above subtitles even higher. So if this movie puts the subtitles below AND above, then that's a bummer.

There has been talk about Oppo offering a subtitle "pinch" feature in a future firmware update that would move bottom subtitles up and top subtitles down, but apparently it has been difficult to implement, so they have not released the feature.
Bummer. I've got an Oppo but that's not an adjustment I've ever looked into. I want to stress that I was checking on the "spoken" subtitles (i.e., for language translation or hard-of-hearing). All of the location or time text was within the picture - if that helps.

EDIT : Ah, yes, the bottom picture is what you get (although with a nice b&w font).
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #720
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
A picture is worth 1000 words, as they say, so here are a couple screenshots that demonstrate the CIH subtitle issue:

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

The images come from an excellent article on High-Def Digest in regards to the CIH subtitle problem. Here's the link for anybody who's interested:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/4142
Sorry nothing to do with Clous Atlas but I do not like it when that happens with subs.
There are many instances of this,the latest being when I was watching Letters from Iwo Jima earlier and it simply annoys me.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
2012, blu-ray, cloud atlas, wachowski, warner bros