Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fast & Furious 1-7 Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.96
Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$90.10
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Glengarry Glen Ross (Blu-ray)
$4.00
Olympus Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$4.00
Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #521
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pill 101 View Post
I'm not arguing, but I realize those where links in his post. I clicked them, and read them. My point was there are no dedicated 'defective disc' threads as there is for Total Recall with 500+ posts.
Sure, because the first time something like this occurs on a widespread scale it always garners a lot of 'headlines', especially because a lot of the discourse is taken up with people initially wondering what the problem is, if/how they can fix it, whether there will be an exchange from the studios etc etc.

But when it happens again and again and again with other branched TrueHD titles then the same collective who pushed said thread to 500+ posts have a better idea of what the issue is and whether it can be resolved, hence there's MUCH less hand-wringing on the matter so answers tend to come a lot more quickly: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....truehd+dropout and http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....truehd+dropout

Same with the recent Sony black crush problem: now that it's out in the open, if any more discs were to come along with that issue then there wouldn't be a massive thread newly dedicated to it or anything, people would just mention it in the respective movie threads and update the main one.
Thanks given by:
Opips3 (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #522
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoBlu? View Post

If you find some models that look promising, maybe run them by us before ordering to avoid having to make another return.
Ok thanks. I appreciate that.

If I can't find anything, I'll probably just wait and save up for an Oppo 103. My wallet will take a beating, but since I don't want to deal with anymore issues, I'll feel more at ease knowing I'm buying the best player out there.
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT460
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
Old 12-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #523
Expert Member

Jun 2009
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Sure, because the first time something like this occurs on a widespread scale it always garners a lot of 'headlines', especially because a lot of the discourse is taken up with people initially wondering what the problem is, if/how they can fix it, whether there will be an exchange from the studios etc etc.

But when it happens again and again and again with other branched TrueHD titles then the same collective who pushed said thread to 500+ posts have a better idea of what the issue is and whether it can be resolved, hence there's MUCH less hand-wringing on the matter so answers tend to come a lot more quickly: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....truehd+dropout and http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....truehd+dropout

Same with the recent Sony black crush problem: now that it's out in the open, if any more discs were to come along with that issue then there wouldn't be a massive thread newly dedicated to it or anything, people would just mention it in the respective movie threads and update the main one.
The takeaway: Sony is evil, and just doesn't care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opips3 View Post
[Show spoiler]

Lol, it's too bad
Dude, this post is hilarious! I laughed my ass off when I saw the pic--thanks for that! You officially win the internet today!
My Movie Collection
My 'gear':
Sony 52" KDL-52W4100
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony DVPNS700H
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Onkyo SKS-HT750
Premier Acoustics PA-120
Old 12-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #524
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pill 101 View Post
The takeaway: Sony is evil, and just doesn't care!
I heartily agree with you sir!
Old 12-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #525
Expert Member

Jun 2009
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I heartily agree with you sir!
!!!!!!
My Movie Collection
My 'gear':
Sony 52" KDL-52W4100
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony DVPNS700H
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Onkyo SKS-HT750
Premier Acoustics PA-120
Old 12-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #526
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-

I'm actually quite curious as to whether someone has played this particular director's cut on an Oppo 103 (or 105) and been able to stream it lossless to their a/v processor without audio issues (and without having to fallback to internal PCM conversion).

I've seen mention of other titles possibly being dealt with properly with those Oppos, but I don't recall having seen any specific mention of success with this particular release of Total Recall.

(I have the 103, but my receiver's lossless handling is limited to multi-channel PCM, so I can't check it myself. But would be good to know for future reference if something were to happen to my receiver (which is quite likely the only way it's ever getting replaced). (Edit: I just noticed that back in October my receiver had its 10th birthday as the centerpiece of my system.)

Anybody?

Last edited by fdm; 12-12-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:27 AM   #527
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
If you find some models that look promising, maybe run them by us before ordering to avoid having to make another return.
Do you know if the Samsung BD-J5100 player is any good? It's on sale at Best Buy tomorrow and it has pretty good reviews. I never really liked Samsung due to the issues I had with their players six years ago, but looking at the reviews, it seems as though they've come a long way over the years. So, I'm willing to give their players another chance if they are indeed good.

Update- After more research, it looks like the Panasonic DMP-BDT460 is a good player. The manual is not fully clear, but I think it might decode to PCM. And the reviews are very good. It's about $170 at Amazon, which isn't too bad.

Last edited by MrHT; 12-13-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #528
Banned

Sep 2014
RIP, Your Royal Badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Do you know if the Samsung BD-J5100 player is any good? It's on sale at Best Buy tomorrow and it has pretty good reviews. I never really liked Samsung due to the issues I had with their players six years ago, but looking at the reviews, it seems as though they've come a long way over the years. So, I'm willing to give their players another chance if they are indeed good.

Update- After more research, it looks like the Panasonic DMP-BDT460 is a good player. The manual is not fully clear, but I think it might decode to PCM. And the reviews are very good. It's about $170 at Amazon, which isn't too bad.
That Panny seems to fit the bill, except it's new enough that it doesn't have the uniphier chip, so you'll still encounter the same issue while bitstreaming. As long as you're fine with the player decoding, that player should work. Gotta go a little older if you want to avoid a MediaTek chip.

I don't know about that specific Samsung player, but from everything I've read, it seems to be the general consensus that their players are terrible.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #529
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
That Panny seems to fit the bill, except it's new enough that it doesn't have the uniphier chip, so you'll still encounter the same issue while bitstreaming. As long as you're fine with the player decoding, that player should work. Gotta go a little older if you want to avoid a MediaTek chip.

I don't know about that specific Samsung player, but from everything I've read, it seems to be the general consensus that their players are terrible.
Ok, thanks. It's very hard to go older since older models are discontinued and it's very hard to find reputable retailers that still have new ones in stock. I can try to keep looking but if there's nothing I can find, I may give the Panasonic DMP-BDT460 a try. Looks like a great player too... even has two HDMI ports, which is not something you see very often.

Last edited by MrHT; 12-13-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #530
Banned

Sep 2014
RIP, Your Royal Badness

Quote:
Ok, thanks. It's very hard to go older since older models are discontinued and it's very hard to find reputable retailers that still have new ones in stock. I can try to keep looking but if there's nothing I can find, I may give the Panasonic DMP-BDT460 a try. Looks like a great player too... even has two HDMI ports (one of which you can use specifically for audio if you prefer to separate the video and audio connections), which is not something you see very often.
It should be a fine player. And the two HDMI ports is because it's a 3D player. Hope it works out.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #531
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
I'm actually quite curious as to whether someone has played this particular director's cut on an Oppo 103 (or 105) and been able to stream it lossless to their a/v processor without audio issues (and without having to fallback to internal PCM conversion).

I've seen mention of other titles possibly being dealt with properly with those Oppos, but I don't recall having seen any specific mention of success with this particular release of Total Recall.

(I have the 103, but my receiver's lossless handling is limited to multi-channel PCM, so I can't check it myself. But would be good to know for future reference if something were to happen to my receiver (which is quite likely the only way it's ever getting replaced). (Edit: I just noticed that back in October my receiver had its 10th birthday as the centerpiece of my system.)

Anybody?

The Oppo BDP-103 plays back Total Recall via bitstream perfectly. Just checked.
Thanks given by:
fdm (12-13-2015), Geoff D (12-13-2015), MrHT (12-13-2015), Opips3 (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #532
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
The Oppo BDP-103 plays back Total Recall via bitstream perfectly. Just checked.
Wow, that encourages me even more to save up for that player. And it also DEFINITELY decodes to PCM multi as well, so even if it didn't bitstream properly, there's still that alternative.

If they are correct in saying, "you get what you pay for," then I see no reason why that unit won't be worth that hefty price tag. I'm very anal when it comes to BD players playing properly, which is one of the reasons I haven't been having great luck with my recent BD player purchases. I guess I can't go wrong with an Oppo 103. There's always ways to save up and I think I'll do just that and save up for that player. Though, the Panasonic DMP-BDT460 looks tempting as it's less than half the price and looks like a great player. Even one reviewer of the Oppo said on Amazon that he returned the Oppo player due to problems and bought the Panasonic DMP-BDT460, which he claimed worked better. Hmm. Decisions decisions...

Last edited by MrHT; 12-14-2015 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #533
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2015

Thanks, THX Peter

I wait UHD 4K player will be out.

I have couple of bluray players. Enough. I not want third. I feel not like an idiot.
(PS4) PSN: Bakumatsu Rouman Dainimaku: Gekka no Kenshi. -trophies- 28%
Old 12-14-2015, 04:26 AM   #534
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

After I put back my Sony BDP-S360 and hooked it back up temporarily until I get a new player, I decided to test my TOTAL RECALL disc again just for the hell of it. I wanted to be certain I wasn't going out of my mind when testing this disc on the new players I was getting. Well, I played the extended version and specifically tested the ending credits where the other players had issues. There are still no audio issues whatsoever when playing on the Sony BDP-S360. Not a single little hiccup in the audio. So something is not right in these new players. Apparently, newer players (even 2015 players still being made today) are using that bad chip that is problematic on these seamless branching titles. What puzzles me to no end is why Sony continues to manufacture new players that still have issues with this disc. Like I said, their 2015 players are still problematic. 2015 SONY players having issues on a 2012 SONY title is just downright unacceptable. Apparently, Sony hasn't received enough complaints about this issue to bother working on resolving the problem.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #535
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Quote:
Like I said, their 2015 players are still problematic. 2015 SONY players having issues on a 2012 SONY title is just downright unacceptable. Apparently, Sony hasn't received enough complaints about this issue to bother working on resolving the problem.

Sony Home Entertainment is about as related to Sony Electronics as the IRS is to the National Park Service. 2 vastly different entities under the same extremely wide umbrella.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #536
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
I found a Best Buy that had the Panasonic DMP-BDT460 in stock for $160, so I went ahead and bought it. When bitstreaming, it has the exact same problem as the Sony. So you were correct in that regard. But like you said, this player has the ability to decode to PCM Multi and that fixes the issue. The sound is still fantastic, so I guess it's ok to forgo the bitstreaming option. On the plus side, I now get secondary audio, which was something I always had to sacrifice.

It's only been a couple of days and I only had a chance to test out a few of my movies, but so far, this player seems like a winner. It's fast and so far, it seems to be rock solid. I had to replace my old Sony player because the HDMI port was starting to fail on me. With this Panny player, there are two HDMI ports and I assume I could use the second one if the first one starts failing at some point in the future, which I hope that doesn't happen.

Overall, I'm very happy with the player. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by MrHT; 12-20-2015 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #537
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

I would just like to know if the disc issue has been resolved or not?

I love science fiction, and the original is great in many ways, but it's just too darn violent for me.

I have an Oppo-BDP-83SE, and use the analogue outputs.
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.),Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,

Last edited by Bluyoda; 04-25-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #538
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
I would jsut like to know if the disc issue has been resolved or not?

I love science fiction, and the original is great in many ways, but it's just too darn violent for me.

I have an Oppo-BDP-83SE, and use the analogue outputs.
Was there even a problem with the analog playback? Thought is was a streaming Dolby TrueHD specific issue. Presumably it's digitally decoded and converted to analog inside the player so it should be ok. (Just like when it's digitally decoded/translated to LPCM inside the player and then it's ok when streamed as LPCM.)

There is no replacement disc, if that was your real question.
Thanks given by:
Bluyoda (04-24-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America