Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Alien: Covenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Pokémon: Season 1 - Indigo League (Blu-ray)
$57.05
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.22
The Amazing Spider-Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$12.97
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #1861
Power Member

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
That's great.

Can't believe that they got them all to do it.

I once ran into Robert De Niro walking down 5th Ave by Central Park. I was walking one way and he was coming toward me and I realized it was him about 20 yards away. I remember thinking to myself "Holy crap!...that's Robert Freaking De Niro!...should I say something?...I gotta say something...no don't say anything, he probably hates when random people say stuff to him."

And right as we passed each other he looked at me for a split second and gave me this look that seemed to say, "Don't even think about it pal...don't say nothin...just keep walkin."

...and that's my Robert De Niro story.
I had almost the exact same thing happen in almost the same spot. Only it was Glenn Close walking her dog. And her look to me was more like "Thanks for keeping that sh!+ to yourself, dude."
Old 05-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #1862
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
I had almost the exact same thing happen in almost the same spot. Only it was Glenn Close walking her dog. And her look to me was more like "Thanks for keeping that sh!+ to yourself, dude."
I'd watch yourself around Glenn Close, too - especially if you're a guy. Remember Fatal Attraction?! - LOL
Old 05-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #1863
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
If I had seen Glenn Close I would have said in my best Russian accent: "How's your blouse?!"
Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #1864
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
The streets, YO!

Robert De Niro then:

Robert De Niro today:

This is a snakeskin avatar.

...it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qJW0CgP-bA
Thanks given by:
avoidlloyd95 (08-23-2016), WaverBoy (08-23-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 05:34 AM   #1865
Special Member

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

For anyone in the NYC area that couldn't shell out 70 bucks for the tribeca screening, you've got another chance.

https://drafthouse.com/greater-ny/sh...cs-taxi-driver

As for DeNiro sightings, a guy I worked with downtown a few years ago claims to have met him and took a picture, but of course he didn't have it to show me. He said that DeNiro had a look on his face like "I don't wanna do this" lol.

Last edited by TylerDurden389; 05-20-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:42 AM   #1866
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseababy View Post
I felt the same way about Roger Ebert giving Blue Velvet one star.
He really did that? What an ass.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Old 05-20-2016, 06:01 AM   #1867
Power Member

Jun 2015

Quote:
That's great.

Can't believe that they got them all to do it.

I once ran into Robert De Niro walking down 5th Ave by Central Park. I was walking one way and he was coming toward me and I realized it was him about 20 yards away. I remember thinking to myself "Holy crap!...that's Robert Freaking De Niro!...should I say something?...I gotta say something...no don't say anything, he probably hates when random people say stuff to him."

And right as we passed each other he looked at me for a split second and gave me this look that seemed to say, "Don't even think about it pal...don't say nothin...just keep walkin."

...and that's my Robert De Niro story.
Great story. I rode on an elevator with Dennis Hopper in Hawaii when I was about 17 or 18 (it was 2003 or 2004 I believe). It was just he and I on the elevator and I mustered a, "I'm a big fan of your work, Mr. Hopper." I'm sure I sounded like a total loser. He responded, "Thanks, pal. Appreciate it." Bizarrely enough, two years later, I randomly passed Hopper at the airport in Denver, Colorado as well.
Top 10 Most Wanted on Blu-Ray: 1) After Hours 2) Bringing Out the Dead 3) Bob Roberts 4) O Lucky Man 5) California Split 6) The Music of Chance 7) The Limey 8) Brewster McCloud 9) The Hitcher (1986) 10) Straight Time
Old 05-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #1868
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014

Should have just burst into your best Frank Booth impersonation right there in the elevator.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #1869
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015

If I ever see De Niro on the street I'm definitely saying something.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Old 05-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #1870
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
The streets, YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja345 View Post
Great story. I rode on an elevator with Dennis Hopper in Hawaii when I was about 17 or 18 (it was 2003 or 2004 I believe). It was just he and I on the elevator and I mustered a, "I'm a big fan of your work, Mr. Hopper." I'm sure I sounded like a total loser. He responded, "Thanks, pal. Appreciate it." Bizarrely enough, two years later, I randomly passed Hopper at the airport in Denver, Colorado as well.
I was sure you were going to say that he glared at you and shouted "Don't you freaking look at me!!!!"

Thanks given by:
Arawn (05-20-2016), starman15317 (05-22-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #1871
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
I was sure you were going to say that he glared at you and shouted "Don't you freaking look at me!!!!"

Or ask him for a Heineken...
Would you like some coffee, Mr. Tully?
Do I?
Yes, have some.
Yes, have some!
Thanks given by:
Illy Scorsese (05-26-2016), starman15317 (05-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #1872
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

I try to watch TD about once a year (roughly), and just saw it again. Obviously, brilliant film.

This time around, I especially noticed several details that I had noticed before, but hadn't focused on as much in past viewings:

Travis' breakfast - the habit of soaking bread/cereal with peach schnapps is fairly sickening. To me, this is just a further illustration of Travis' demented mind & how far gone he's become at this point in the film.

Travis had obviously been in the military (The Marines), and almost certainly was in Vietnam during at least some of that time; he told the Taxi dispatcher at the beginning that he was discharged in 1973, so the timing fits. So, the idea of him going on a rampage & taking out the pimp (Sport) & two others to "rescue" Iris isn't that far-fetched, given that he probably already has some knowledge of the weapons he bought for that purpose & had certainly used guns before.

In one scene when Travis is doing push-ups, you see a shot of him from above & there is some serious scarring on his back. This seems to imply he may have been tortured at some point?! (unless the scarring is from surgery). In any case, this PTSD?! may be another reason he is losing his grip on reality.

Right before Iris & Sport dance in that scene (when she is expressing misgivings), Sport puts on a record which is playing the TD "theme" from the beginning of the film - and which is heard several other times throughout the movie. Nice touch.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-22-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Thanks given by:
hypnohighball (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #1873
Special Member

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Travis had obviously been in the military (The Marines), and almost certainly was in Vietnam during at least some of that time; he told the Taxi dispatcher at the beginning that he was discharged in 1973, so the timing fits. So, the idea of him going on a rampage & taking out the pimp (Sport) & two others to "rescue" Iris isn't that far-fetched, given that he probably already has some knowledge of the weapons he bought for that purpose & had certainly used guns before.

In one scene when Travis is doing push-ups, you see a shot of him from above & there is some serious scarring on his back. This seems to imply he may have been tortured at some point?! (unless the scarring is from surgery). In any case, this PTSD?! may be another reason he is losing his grip on reality.
I don't know man. When Travis is at the gun range, he winces a lot when he's firing those pistols. Would a marine really be nervous from firing a pistol when they have experience with far more powerful, bigger weapons? Now, IIRC, the film doesn't show Travis' aim improving over time every time we see him out there practicing throughout the 2nd half of the film, so whether or not he's a good shot from the get-go or needs time to work in his skill is up for debate.

I honestly wonder if Travis was never in the Marines at all. One could argue that this "backstory" of his is only further proof of his "idealized" version of himself that he sees himself as. The fact that the taxi cab company he works for is seedy based on the people working there, the customers they regularly pick up, and the overall dirty look to the garage only further makes me believe that they don't exactly care about back-up checks (though "Gazzo" does ask to his his licenses and paperwork, so i could be wrong here to).

As for the scarring on his back ,to me that could be evidence that Travis has had a rough childhood and possibly rough life, which would only further support evidence for Travis' crazed mind, as well as add to the theory that he is making up being in Vietnam and is pretending that said scar he could've gotten in a myriad of other ways would just be another BS 'nam story he would tell anyone who asked.

So, not saying your wrong, not saying I'm right. One of the reasons this is one of my favorite movies of all time is because I love how open to interpretation everything in the film is (I love nerding out in conversations like this, lol).

As for things you may not have noticed:

- Keep an eye out for DeNiro's constantly changing hair length mid-way through the film. For a brief period between the "first story" (Betsy) and the "second story" (Iris), his hair constantly switches back between medium length/comb over, to very short/near crew cut length (sometimes in the same day it seems lol). I've never actually read the script, but apparently this shorter hairstyle was intentional, but due to edit changes to the sequence of events, the middle of the film now has this blooper.

- The other cabbies refer to him as "killer". However, they do so before he buys the guns. Originally, he buys the guns much sooner in the story, THEN is given the nickname by the other cabbies.

- In an interview once, DeNrio said that before shooting the film, he went and got an actual cab driver's license and drove people around. One customer recognized him and said "Hey, didn't you just win an Oscar for Godfather 2? What are doing driving a cab?" DeNiro's response?

"It's still tough to find work these days".
Old 08-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #1874
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Good points. However, I never thought that Travis Bickle had not been in the military at some point. In fact, his growing insanity as the film progresses seems to have been a result of PTSD re: his military service in Vietnam. Though this wasn't explicitly stated, it was implied.

Also, TB was definitely of the right age to have been in the Vietnam war - he told the Taxi dispatcher that he was 26, and so in 1973 (when he claims he was discharged), he would have been roughly 23. I know that a lot of young men of draft age were going into the military at this point, whether they wanted to or not. However, Travis said he was in the Marines - so, AFAIK he would have had to volunteer - I don't think the Marines drafted people, just the other service(s). That all being said, I was never in the military so am not 100% about this.

Also, I was under the impression that the Mohawk haircut that Travis has at the very end of the film (right before he goes on his rampage & rescues Iris) was referencing the haircut that certain American soldiers in the Vietnam war had - however, I'm not sure about this either.

The wincing when he was firing the gun may have been because it brought back bad memories of his military service; or it may have been years since he fired a gun, and was rusty. Obviously, this is open to interpretation - as you said.

You could be right re: the scarring on his back...

Yes, I definitely picked up on the changing hair length throughout the film - after it was pointed out to me on this thread (or another one online). DeNiro was definitely wearing a shorter-hair wig at some point, prior to the Mohawk wig at the very end. However, my "in film" explanation for this is that his hair was dirty/matted at various times throughout the movie, thereby explaining the shifting appearance. Far fetched, I know - however, the hair length was not something I caught until it was pointed out to me, so it doesn't really take me out of the film - too much....

Funny anecdote re: DeNiro's comment when he was asked why he was driving a cab prior to filming the movie.

Another interesting point: I'm always fascinated about the passage of time in a movie. And, in TD, it seems like the events in the movie took place over roughly 3 months: Travis seems to be writing some kind of diary, and there is voice-over narration at several points in the film. The earliest date he mentions is May, and IIRC the latest date he mentions is August.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-23-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #1875
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
The streets, YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Or ask him for a Heineken...
Funk that foreign shite!

...Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #1876
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post
I don't know man. When Travis is at the gun range, he winces a lot when he's firing those pistols. Would a marine really be nervous from firing a pistol when they have experience with far more powerful, bigger weapons? Now, IIRC, the film doesn't show Travis' aim improving over time every time we see him out there practicing throughout the 2nd half of the film, so whether or not he's a good shot from the get-go or needs time to work in his skill is up for debate.
The original script didn't have him as a Marine (had him as Army). Scorcese added the Marine details. And apparently Scorcese goofed on the details (which is pretty common, as the Marine details are pretty precise):
https://www.quora.com/Taxi-Driver-19...ing-in-Vietnam
Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #1877

Jan 2013
The Chicago suburbs

Interesting observations; inconsistencies, continuity errors especially, only benefit the film, accentuating Bickle's fractured mindset. Unlike the sense of consistency and wholeness created by fastidious editing (the idea that the world of the film "fits together"), the splices and punctures created by purposefully discontinuous cutting reflect the anxiety and unease so central to the film's narrative and thematic structure. Jump cuts and mismatches make the world of the film seem jagged and disjointed, and can cue similar responses of anxiety the viewer.

In a broader sense, the challenge of parsing the overall time frame of the narrative is also of a piece the shot-to-shot construction, again reflecting how destabilized and alienated Bickle is. Knowing some scenes may have been reordered during the editing process again underscores the lack of normalcy that the film is steeped in.

Consider this: from a story standpoint, the timeline of the film is so vague and messy that it's unclear whether the viewer is meant to understand the film as unfolding completely in order or as a chronologically muddled-montage. The former presents a man who loses control, while the latter presents a man without control. Either option is extremely unsettling, forcing the viewer to re-evaluate Bickle throughout.

Great reading regarding Bickle's military service--I scrapped a paragraph after clicking through. Even the explanation of his poor marksmanship is compelling. That said, isn't viewing his breakdown and vigilantism--his God-complex, really--as the result of his potential wartime experiences a bit too...tidy or convenient? (Similar questions could be--and have been--asked about the Punisher.)
(Superficial greeting / Soderbergh homage / Reference!)

Fraction & Bá
Old 08-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #1878
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude12 View Post
The original script didn't have him as a Marine (had him as Army). Scorcese added the Marine details. And apparently Scorcese goofed on the details (which is pretty common, as the Marine details are pretty precise):
https://www.quora.com/Taxi-Driver-19...ing-in-Vietnam
Thanks for the link. Well, it looks like both Schrader & Scorsese agree that he was in the military; either the Army or Marines (in the film, he stated he was in the Marines). I'm going to definitely go by what the writer & director of the film say here. Yes, Bickle is obviously nuts & is unreliable at times, but I do believe he did indeed serve in the military - in Vietnam.

The obvious lies that Bickle states in the film are when he writes his parents and mentions that he is on a "special assignment for the government" that "he can't really talk about". He also lies to them when he mentions that he is dating "a nice girl" named Betsy (sure, he went out with Betsy once - but that was it).

Going along with this, are his parents even still alive?! They appear to be, since he is writing them. But, I wonder about that too. However, even if they are, it's evident that he is estranged from them to some extent; based on what he wrote, they don't really know where he is or what he's doing, and rarely hear from him at all. This makes the scene when he tells Iris that she should go home to her parents and lead a "normal" life all the more telling. I.e., you wonder if he's emphasizing that Iris should go back to her family because he himself is disconnected from his family and regrets it?!

One of the few scenes in the film that I found amusing was when Travis first encountered Sport (Keitel) re: Iris, and Sport was good-naturedly making fun of him by implying that he was a narc, calling him cowboy, etc. Travis, in order to show that he was "with it" insisted that he was "hip", and Sport said something like, "You're anything but hip" - anyway, this just further showed Travis' disconnection/alienation from those around him.

Another scene I found interesting was when Betsy (C. Shepherd) compared Travis to the K. Krisofferson song "The Pilgrim". The song is about someone who seems to lead a diametrically opposed life, which fits Bickle to a T. I.e., Bickle talks like he's opposed to all of the "filthy scum" around him, but at the same time he finds himself drawn to this element as well, i.e. not only going to the adult theaters on a regular basis - but later taking Betsy there on a date! I actually cringe whenever I see this scene; Travis probably had a good chance of getting somewhere on the date with Betsy (you noticed that he implies he wants to listen to the record he buys for her on Betsy's record player), but instead does something that is guaranteed to turn her off for good...

Again, it's a testimony of a great film when people are still discussing this 40 years later. TD is so layered & fascinating that, as I said, I notice new elements on each subsequent viewing.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-23-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #1879
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post
When Travis is at the gun range, he winces a lot when he's firing those pistols. Would a marine really be nervous from firing a pistol when they have experience with far more powerful, bigger weapons?
He would be if he was somewhat shellshocked/PTSD, and he changed because of what he did/saw in the war.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #1880
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Club Loop

All this military stuff aside my favorite two lines in the film are:

Betsy: This is a dirty movie!!
Travis: Oh, no. Lots of couples come here all the time!

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America