Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Great Wall (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Furious 7 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lone Survivor 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Fast & Furious 6 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Young Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$4.99
King Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Home for the Holidays (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Dreamcatcher (Blu-ray)
$5.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #26861
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude12 View Post
I told some friend of mien who is a LOST freak .
Is your friend German?
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #26862
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
speaking of...what's with all the DVD recommendations? my eyes and ears are unaccustomed to such mediocrity.

[Show spoiler]what an ungrateful b&*ch.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #26863
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
speaking of...what's with all the DVD recommendations? my eyes and ears are unaccustomed to such mediocrity.

[Show spoiler]what an ungrateful b&*ch.
Yeah, sorry Bro. I wish they were available on Blu, because I'd buy them.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #26864
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Yeah, sorry Bro. I wish they were available on Blu, because I'd buy them.
yeah I know! what's up with all these great films not on blu yet? I told my friend about Marwencol the other day and she started to pull up his photos on her Iphone and was astounded (she's an artist). She instantly put it in her queue
Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #26865
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009

Quote:
I told some friend of mien who is a LOST freak how I know a dude who watched 4 seasons of LOST in 10 days. Can't remember the exact # seasons you watched in how many days, but it was something like that. My friend was like "that's crazy - did he even sleep?"

It was 5 seasons...but I don't recall the exact number of days as I did rarely sleep and they blended together

I remember for certain that one day I put in 11+ hours of watching

Quote:
I liked the first PIrates film.
Smart man

Quote:
Is your friend German?
What we do in life echoes in eternity
Obey the Topus

I think I'm gonna get some KFC and watch some Star Wars! - jbig31
Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man" - Hugo Reyes
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #26866
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
yeah I know! what's up with all these great films not on blu yet? I told my friend about Marwencol the other day and she started to pull up his photos on her Iphone and was astounded (she's an artist). She instantly put it in her queue
Awesome. Yeah, the full screen images are surreal.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #26867
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
I remember for certain that one day I put in 11+ hours of watching
I'd often thought of hosting a "24-a-thon" at my house. We all meet at 7am (or whatever time Jack starts) and watch it in-sync with Jack until 7am the next day. We stretch for 10 mins after each episode, since each episode is only 50 or so minutes
Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #26868
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009

Quote:
I'd often thought of hosting a "24-a-thon" at my house. We all meet at 7am (or whatever time Jack starts) and watch it in-sync with Jack until 7am the next day. We stretch for 10 mins after each episode, since each episode is only 50 or so minutes
That...would be an appropriate use of the word epic

Side note: I took a look back at my Lost review dates and I started Season 1 on 8/8/10 and posted my review for Season 5 on 8/22/10.
Obey the Topus

Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #26869
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Is your friend German?
nein. ich nicht habe freuden.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #26870
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Side note: I took a look back at my Lost review dates and I started Season 1 on 8/8/10 and posted my review for Season 5 on 8/22/10.
100 or so episodes in 14 days = 7 episodes / day average
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #26871
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
That...would be an appropriate use of the word epic

Thats a minimum of 8.64 episodes per day.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #26872
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009

I was unemployed at the time and it was before my semester started, so I had plenty of time on my hands...and you know, the addiction factor
Obey the Topus

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #26873
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
I was unemployed at the time and it was before my semester started, so I had plenty of time on my hands...and you know, the addiction factor
I remember you posting updates as you progressed. It was fun.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #26874
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009

Quote:
I remember you posting updates as you progressed. It was fun.
I ended up not watching Pirates and watched LOST instead
Obey the Topus

Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #26875
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsocal View Post
Michael Clayton - 2007

Dull, uninspiring, and just plain boring. It had the feel of a really good movie, but it just didn't deliver. I didn't know what the story was, even as the end credits rolled. I just really had no idea what the real plot was. Am I alone in this one? It's weird, because it really did have the feel of a quality movie. Oh well.

PQ - 3/5
AQ - 3/5 (Dolby Digital only. No choice for HD audio.)

2/5
one of my favorites of 2007 and one of the best films of 2007 and one of my absolute favorites of "all time". i've seen it probably 50+ times. however i can understand why many see it as dull or boring.
Seattle Seahawks XLVIII Champions

2014: 14-4; Super Bowl XLIX Bound!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #26876
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
I watched the first hour or so of Avatar...but I turned it off to switch movies
Of the 5 or 6 times I've put that movie on since I bought it, I think I've only finished it twice. I do enjoy it...but I rarely make it through the entire thing

Seriously, just send me your copy so I can sell it after I sell the 3D copy I got for free. At least somebody can put it to good use then.

[Show spoiler]What? You were expecting a wink?
Last Watched: Wonder Woman 3D
Last Bought: Being There | Hopscotch | Rebecca
PSN ID and Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 02-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #26877
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Baseball - 1994, 2010

This isn't a movie, but I think it definitely fits in this thread.

Here is a documentary by Ken Burns. It's divided into 10 parts, or, innings. In 1994, the first 9 innings were released. They covered everything from the very inception of baseball in the 1800's, all the way to the early 1990's. Fast forward to 2010, and the 10th inning was released, divided into 2 parts. The 10th inning covered the sport from 1994 all the way to 2008 (I'm pretty sure).

This isn't a documentary for just anyone. This is a serious, thorough, and long rundown of our nation's pastime. My guess is the total screen time is around 22 hours. That's a lot of sitting down. It took me a good 4 or 5 months to watch the whole thing. But for fans of baseball, this is a documentary for you. It's a great history lesson and is at times quite entertaining. You are guaranteed to learn something because there are so many facets to baseball that it's almost impossible to know everything.

It can be a little slow or boring at times during the first inning or two, but it definitely picks up steam soon thereafter. This might be the only of its kind, but I'm not 100% positive. Either way, it's a great documentary to watch.

Netflix Streaming

PQ - n/a
AQ - n/a

4.5/5
Dodgers, Packers, Lakers, and F1 fan.

PSN: Dodger_Blue311
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #26878
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Schindler's List - 1993

I never saw this movie before, but I always planned on watching it. I just didn't know when that was going to be. I didn't feel the need to see it in the theaters when it came out. I had gone to Hebrew school for many years and had my Bar Mitzvah right around the time the movie came out. I was very aware of what happened, and had learned about it year after year. So, I put it off for a long time.

Fast forward 18 years later. I finally decided to watch it. It wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. It felt too long and the story seemed a little loose. I would have liked a more linear plot than what I saw. This movie was good I guess, but I just don't agree with it winning best picture. I would have nominated The Fugitive, but that's just me. The ending was a very nice touch, so props to Spielberg on that front.

DVD rental

PQ - n/a
AQ - n/a

3/5
Dodgers, Packers, Lakers, and F1 fan.

PSN: Dodger_Blue311
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #26879
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Quote:
nein. ich nicht habe freuden.

You mean, "Ich habe keine freuden."

Also, did you really mean freuden (which means "joy") or freunden (which means "friend"). Right now it says "I have no joys."

In any case, du hast Freunde mit uns.

Last edited by Al_The_Strange; 02-29-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #26880
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Oshawa, ON

I got a bit carried away with today's review:

61. Moneyball (2011)
Biography, Drama, Sport, 133 minutes
Directed by Bennett Miller
Starring Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman

Moneyball is a refreshing change from the usual type of sports movie. How many times have you watched the story of an underdog triumphing? How many movies introduce us to a controversial coach who is initially resented because of his methods and then revered by all when he succeeds? This story is certainly a celebration of success, but not in the typical sense. In fact, it asks us to define success.

It’s based on the true story of how General Manager Billy Beane (Pitt) employed a new way of thinking in order to enable the Oakland Athletics to compete with the likes of the New York Yankees. He did this with just one third of the payroll of that available to the Yankees.The opening scenes show Beane negotiating with the team's owner. He knows that his payroll won't jump from $40 million to $120 million, but can he get a little more money to help the A's compete?

The first thing I was taught in my college marketing class was to define the problem. How you can analyze a problem if you don't know what it is? You won't solve anything until you know what you are trying to do. I find that I use the same technique in all areas of my life. If a friend needs help or advice, I ask a series of questions so that they can eventually define their own problem. It works. That's what Beane did at the start of Moneyball.

Beane’s first move was to hire Peter Brand (Hill); an economics graduate from Yale. Instead of relying on traditional scouting methods, Brand used statistical analysis to determine the true value of baseball players. Instead of paying huge salaries based on a players’ potential, he sought out value by considering players who were believed to have flaws. These might include injury or advancing age. Beane collaborated with Brand to assemble a team on a low budget. Departing stars were replaced with players who were a good fit for the team.

I have a strong connection with the film because the way Beane and Brand think reminds me of how I manage my Fantasy Football teams. Which players are good value because age or injury has changed people's perceptions of their true ability? How much are this year's top draft picks really going to be worth when compared to proven veterans? I make those determinations every year when I build my team. Beane and Brand think like I do, and we tend to like people who are similar to ourselves.

I rely on my own way of thinking rather than following conventional wisdom. That doesn’t mean I will ignore everything, but I will question the opinions of others and decide whether I agree. It’s something I have done my entire life and one reason I review movies. You might not agree with me, and that's absolutely fine, but at least you know that I’m not just repeating the opinions of others.Take a look at my thoughts on The Artist if you want an example.

Groupthink is a dangerous thing. I encounter it every year in my Fantasy Football leagues when the rankings of the "experts" all start to look the same. If you go against the grain, you'll have to be ready to defend your view. As a result, people are afraid to say what they really think or act on their true instincts. It also happens in the workplace. In fact, you can find examples of groupthink every day if you seek out opinions on the Internet on just about any topic.

Back to Moneyball.

Look at how Beane's scouts present their opinions. How many are really their opinions, and how many of them fail to think outside the established framework?

The dialogue is intelligent and full of humor. Some of the scenes, such as Beane pursuing trades with other teams, are quite exciting. Pitt and Hill work well together and are in most of the scenes. One source of conflict is Coach Art Howe (Hoffman). He’s concerned about his own situation and future in the sport, and is reluctant to adopt Beane’s desired strategy.

I enjoyed Moneyball because it was different and the story was told in an appealing way. I won’t ruin the ending for those who don’t remember whether the A’s won the World Series, but I will say that the story doesn’t show a huge amount of baseball action. This is about the people behind the scenes and the way in which they affected the sport.

Rarely has 133 minutes of Dialogue been so interesting. The time passes almost too quickly. I've seen Moneyball about six times since buying it in January, so there's no need to wonder about the replay value. From my ramblings in this review, you can see how thought-provoking the story can be.

[Show spoiler]One final point I would like to consider is Beane's decision at the end of the film.

Most of us are trained at a very young age to chase success and be the best we can be. Success is usually defined as having a good job, a great salary, expensive and prestigious possessions, and a traditional family. If we reach any of our goals, we set new ones and want more. We always want more.

Beane's final decision mirrored his thoughts on baseball management. He considered what would truly make him happy. I don't see people thinking along those lines very often. We are trapped by the expectations of society. It's groupthink on a grand scale. Ask your friends what they dream of. How many mention money? That's the wrong answer. Money is a tool that helps you live the way you want to live, but it's not the overall goal. The goal is different for everyone and should be what makes you happy. Does your lifestyle actually allow you time to enjoy that happiness?

Would you have made the same choice as Beane?

If you like Moneyball:

Another movie which includes baseball, but is really about something else is Field of Dreams, which I mentioned earlier in this series.

One of my favorite sports movies is Seabiscuit. It stars Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges and Chris Cooper, and tells the story of an underdog. Like Moneyball, several unusual methods are used to achieve success. The racing scenes are spectacular, but the movie succeeds due to the strength of the story and the quality of the acting. Bridges finally won an Oscar for Crazy Heart, but he's better in Seabiscuit.

Last edited by Steve46; 02-29-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies