Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Rambo 1-3 Box Set (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #681

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPom View Post
I always thought the model work in Batman looked a little shoddy. Take the two little dolls of Batman and Vicky whipping around the church at the end of the movie. Very funny.
True, but there's something charming about the model work; the full-body shots of the Joker's helicopter and the Batwing are also clearly models if you look at the "people" inside them. What impresses me still about those shots is how well they were able to match the lighting between the full set shots and model shots; when the Batwing crashes for example and the film is cutting back and forth between the model and the actors on the set, it matches up really well.

What doesn't hold up are the greenscreen shots of Batman and Vicki hanging onto the edge of the Cathedral; that was a technique that was just too early for its time and the capabilities just weren't there yet. I wish they'd used the "actor standing in front of force-perspective matte painting" trick they used in Batman Returns; holds up much better.

The other thing that's always looked bad are the matte painting shots, because they were recorded back at such poor quality. It's like the man operating the camera forgot to freakin' focus. I mean holy crap, here's the Gotham City establishing shot as it appears on the blu-ray:

And here's a super-lossy jpeg of the actual matte painting that's still clearly vastly superior in sharpness:

Last edited by Spanbauer; 08-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #682

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post
The other thing that's always looked bad are the matte painting shots, because they were recorded back at such poor quality. It's like the man operating the camera forgot to freakin' focus.
Couldn't that have been an artistic decision? The full-focus version of the matte painting clearly looks like a painting, it may be a little easier to suspend disbelief with the slightly blurry version.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #683
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbee87 View Post
I smh every time I see the animated Batman walk into the building...
Yeah WTH is up with that nonsense? Burton could not get that one shot???
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #684

Jul 2012

I hate to be "that guy", but I am looking into upgrading my Batman movies to Blu and I have my eye on this particular set.

So my question is, will I have any problems using it in region A?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #685
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post
I hate to be "that guy", but I am looking into upgrading my Batman movies to Blu and I have my eye on this particular set.

So my question is, will I have any problems using it in region A?
I hate to be "that guy" but please use the search function of this site before posting. Also please read the titles of the products that you are linking to.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #686

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I hate to be "that guy" but please use the search function of this site before posting. Also please read the titles of the products that you are linking to.
I sincerely apologize, but I did indeed use the search function of the site. However I obviously utilized it in the wrong manner.

As for the description of the product, I have learned to not trust them until I have verified they are indeed accurate with someone who actually has said item.

I am sorry that I have inconvenienced you.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #687
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
I sincerely apologize, but I did indeed use the search function of the site. However I obviously utilized it in the wrong manner.

As for the description of the product, I have learned to not trust them until I have verified they are indeed accurate with someone who actually has said item.

I am sorry that I have inconvenienced you.
It's just something that gets asked way too often, when the answers are often a search away. The database here is quite useful for finding out region coding, and often searching the thread (for the respective region) will yield you an answer too. For future reference, Warner releases are almost always (like 99.9%) region free worldwide.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 09-17-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #688

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
It's just something that gets asked way too often, when the answers are often a search away. The database here is quite useful for finding out region coding, and often searching the thread (for the respective region) will yield you an answer too. For future reference, Warner releases are almost always (like 99.9%) region free worldwide.
Thank you. But after doing both a second Google search using different phrasing and pouring over the database, I realized that I asked a stupid question that had such an easy answer. I feel really, really dumb.

So thanks for tolerating my foolishness.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #689
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Thank you. But after doing both a second Google search using different phrasing and pouring over the database, I realized that I asked a stupid question that had such an easy answer. I feel really, really dumb.

So thanks for tolerating my foolishness.
Don't be so hard on yourself, everybody's a newbie in the beginning. Welcome!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #690
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Thought it looked great on Blu, and the sound mix was perfect.

Last edited by RyanPom; 09-17-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #691
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

I watched this last night for the first time in a while. There does appear to be some very slight filtering in many parts of the movie as well as some slight ringing in a few scenes. However, all of this is relatively minor and the image takes on a fairly natural, smooth look. Overall, I think the disc looks fine. There is no question the matte paintings stick out more in HD, but for me that is some of the charm of the movie and the art work can still be appreciated. The actual sets were quite impressive and the documentaries are worth checking out. The sound mix was decent although not great IMO. I don't believe this is any flaw of how it was prepared for the disc as it is lossless, but just how it was actually produced for the movie.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Da-Lite HD Progressive 1.1 gain, 2:35:1 CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Panasonic 65" VT60 plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub

Last edited by HeavyHitter; 10-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #692

Sep 2013
Quebec, Canada

Still my favorite Batman and the first i buy in DVD, my next one will be The Dark Knight Rises probably or DK !! Very good quality indeed !!! But lame menu, in fact there's no menu at all, feels like a special features menu, i don't like it but the rest is awesome !!!
I'm a maniac, maniac, blu-ray maniaccccc
And i'm watching BR like I never did before
I'm a maniac, maniac, Blu-Ray Maniac
Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #693

Oct 2013
Lost Highway Hotel

Can anyone who bought the Digipack tell me what the booklet said?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #694
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

It's a digibook, and... It says a lot about, well, the movie.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:04 AM   #695
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
Couldn't that have been an artistic decision? The full-focus version of the matte painting clearly looks like a painting, it may be a little easier to suspend disbelief with the slightly blurry version.
I think you might be right in that it was a artistic decision, not just because to create a more realistic illusion of a city but its also Burton's go to style.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #696

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent 97 View Post
Can anyone who bought the Digipack tell me what the booklet said?
I can't remember everything, but I believe there were a couple pages of the script, some excerpts from the Comic Adaptation, a few photographs, and some little anecdotes about the movie. There may have been an introduction by Burton, but don't quote me on that. It's late and I don't quite feel like digging it out to check.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America