Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Doctor Who: The Complete Ninth Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Peanuts: Holiday Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Get Out (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
$28.19
The Expanse: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$20.49
A Monster Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
A Dog's Purpose (Blu-ray)
$9.99
xXx: Return of Xander Cage (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Monster Trucks (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #381
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
I'll agree with that. Both Bad Boys movies.
I was hoping to like it enough to buy it cuz I won't be getting any blu's until Gravity and Vanilla Sky. (Unless I end up liking Blue Jasmine or You're Next or whatever I rent soon)
I like redboxing blu's to find I love a title enough to run out and buy it.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #382
Expert Member

Sep 2012

I love that there is some people on this board still trying to hate the movie, months after it came out.

In my opinion, here's what I loved about the movie:

Was a complete satire on american excess, which made Bay's excessive film making work so well with this film, and did a 100 times better job on being a unique look on the american dream and exceptionalism then the 2013 version of The Great Gatsby did in a single frame. I know my opinion sounds exactly like Brad Jones's (The Cinema Snob) view on the film, but I felt the same way after I left the theater and did until the year ended.

Stupid reasons people hated the film:

It was a dark comedy. I'm sorry, but there is no way, I repeat no way to do this film without it being funny, unless you want a completely untruthful version of the story. The gang were as stupid as the movie portrayed them, did I sympathize with them, not at all, I knew just from the movie these were bad guys, anyone who tries to get money by torturing someone is a bad guy. But the things that made the real story and the movie funny, the criminals stupidity, I'll show you a list of how stupid they were in real life, that weren't in the movie.

Failed to kidnap the guy 7 times, they only fail 2 times in the movie, but it's understandable of not showing the other 6 times, because that would just slow the movie down.

They used code names, some of the code names were Batman & Robin, there are no words for this.

They had problems with more than 1 chainsaw, and one of the problems was that the forgot to get GAS FOR THE GAS POWERED CHAINSAW. And when one of them goes out to get some gas, he doesn't head back right away to get the job done, he first stops at subway for food.

And they actually planned to kidnap the guy dressed as ninjas, they didn't go through with it, they opted for a night at the strip club instead, but they still planned it.

And there is probably more, but you get the idea, this movie showed the criminals for exactly what they were; violent, strong, stupid, incompetent goofballs, most of the funniest moments were from the real life story, but most specifically the magazine article of the same name, a great read.

Here are the links, have a dark, but fun time:

Part 1: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/1999-12-23/news/pain-gain/

Part 2: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/1999-12...n-gain-part-2/

Part 3: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2000-01...n-gain-part-3/
My Reaction to every true story movie from now on:
"I'll assume it ends with Dwayne Johnson grilling the finger prints off severed hands."
-The Cinema Snob (April 30, 2013)
Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 AM   #383
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

I hate the "Based on a True Story" movies.
That said, I had no idea that this was one.
If I had known, I'd not have gotten it.
That said, I found it pretty funny... But I don't like the glamorization of the "bad side of life."

I don't know, I can't get my thoughts on the film/subject matter to transopse from my brain to the page...
I'll stop for now...
Looking to purchase the following:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1: HBO Shop Bonus Disk
- Ghost in the Shell: Target Bonus Disk
- 4k/UHD - Central Intelligence, Peanuts, TMNT: OotS, Wonder Woman, Baywatch, Hacksaw Ridge, Starship Troopers, Ghosts of Mars, Minions
DIGITAL CODE SELLING POST (Updated: September 18th, 2017): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=96446
Old 03-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #384
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Initially, I wasn't the biggest fan of this when I first saw it last year. Thought it went on too long, found it unfunny, and just a little depressing. Maybe Mark Kermode's infamous lambasting of it tainted my perspective.

Watched it again yesterday (and tonight again as well), and I can safely say that I was totally wrong on my first viewing. This was a hilarious work. It was still a little slow in some parts, but an entertaining piece of satire and action none the less.

Now, I just want to plead to Michael Bay to make more stuff like this, Bad Boys II and/or The Rock.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #385
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Why doesn't Paramount release this movie anymore?
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #386
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

Just finished watching this. Good movie. And Michael Bay again proves nobody can touch his visual style.

How much stuff in the movie was real? I felt weird even laughing at some parts since the story really happened.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #387
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Just finished watching this. Good movie. And Michael Bay again proves nobody can touch his visual style.

How much stuff in the movie was real? I felt weird even laughing at some parts since the story really happened.
you'd be surprised how much stuff was actually real. not everything of course, but a lot of the disturbing scenes really happened. like bbqing the hands
Old 06-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #388
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
you'd be surprised how much stuff was actually real. not everything of course, but a lot of the disturbing scenes really happened. like bbqing the hands
Wow. Those guys were crazy.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #389
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
[Show spoiler]
Old 06-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #390

Nov 2012

loved this movie. really tempted to buy it no that its around $9, but i feel like it will drop lower soon.

I really love michael Bay when he is not doing Transformers 2 or 3 (4 TBD)
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (06-20-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #391
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
My Home

Not sure if this was a fluke or not but I've bought this movie months ago and just now realized on the back of the UV slip was a UV code for The Italian Job.
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Old 12-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #392

Feb 2012
Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks101189 View Post
Not sure if this was a fluke or not but I've bought this movie months ago and just now realized on the back of the UV slip was a UV code for The Italian Job.
Weird! Was this in addition to a UV code for Pain & Gain or instead of?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #393
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
My Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 View Post
Weird! Was this in addition to a UV code for Pain & Gain or instead of?
Funny thing is, I also got the UV/Itunes for Pain and Gain. The Italian Job was just printed on the back of the UV slip.
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 AM   #394
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Got this today for $4 at a used store expecting nothing but LOVED IT. Wow, great black comedy and crime movie in one. Really surprised. Will probably read through this thread on my phone here and there to see what others thought, but everything negative on IMDb seems to be about it "sympathizing" with the criminals. Uhhh... WTF movies did those people watch?

Anyway, great flick. Gorgeous too, would buy a UHD on day one.
Thanks given by:
Jennifer Lawrence Fan (06-16-2017), Trekkie313 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 AM   #395
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Got this today for $4 at a used store expecting nothing but LOVED IT. Wow, great black comedy and crime movie in one. Really surprised. Will probably read through this thread on my phone here and there to see what others thought, but everything negative on IMDb seems to be about it "sympathizing" with the criminals. Uhhh... WTF movies did those people watch?
A lot of the complaints come from it being based on a true story and being a Micheal Bay movie. It was easy to criticize.

It's his best movie since The Rock.
Listen, do you smell something?

Doctor Strange 3D for sale
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=3240
Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 AM   #396
Power Member

Aug 2009

I remember reviewing this on another forum when I caught it a year or two back. I'm completely in agreement with any accusation you can throw at the film, it's beyond morally repugnant. Here's what I wrote:

I'm sure I'm gonna get derided for saying this as there are a few Bay fans on here, but Bay's approach to this true story suggests, imo, that not only is he obviously a crap filmmaker, but I'm beginning to think it's possible he's a psychopath. Crazy accusation I know, but I feel that's the fundamental problem with Bay's output these days, it's like he has no grasp of humanity anymore and can only populate his work with empty facsimiles rather than believable or investable characters. You can't really connect to his films because there's nothing human about them.

The story Pain & Gain is based on is truly amazing and would make for an astonishing crime film laced with pitch-black comedy under any competent filmmaker, but what Bay does is take this real life crime, tells it reasonably faithfully in terms of following the sequence of events, and distorts it by making the innocent victims in the case these grotesque, contemptible bad guys whilst making the scumbag pyschopathic perpetrators of the crimes out to be hapless, loveable rogues - yes they twisted the American dream into psychotic excess, but fundamentally they are too stupid to be bad people.

The victims on the other hand aren't naive simpletons, they are portrayed as smug, petty, corrupt ********s with more money than morals. Now, I accept that in real life the guy they kidnapped and extorted (played by Tony Shalhoub) might have been as dodgy as they come (the US government's case against him depended on testimony from one of the guys who abducted him, so who knows), but there's no evidence to suggest the murder victims were anything but sweet-natured innocent immigrants who had lived the real American dream and got targeted for it. It's just astonishing, this has to be the most morally bankrupt film I have ever seen - or at least it's the most morally bankrupt approach to a true story I've ever seen. Not sure which. Maybe both.

I mean, was Bay trying to satirise the entire story like defenders of the film claim? Yes there's satire of what the american dream can lead to, linking it to films like Wolf of Wall Street, but the tone of the film is jacked up farce, there's no wryness or any sense of irony about it. Plus the story isn't told exclusively from the criminal's persepective (because Ed Harris's private eye is a co-narrator telling most of the first victim's post-crime story), so you lose the reading that the victims are being portrayed how the criminals viewed them. I just don't get what this film is supposed to achieve beyond cheap laughs at Marky Mark and The Rock acting like idiots living life to excess and blundering through a double-murder.

I'd urge anyone to read Pete Collins's Miami New Times article on the crimes, it might take you longer to read than the film did to watch but it's a fantastic article that reads more like an Elmore Leonard novella. If this story had been given to talented writers - the team behind Justified for instance (Graham Yost, Dave Andron, Fred Golan, Chris Provenzano) - then this could have been one of the best crime films of recent years.

Bay on the otherhand fell in love with the Miami NT article and told Paramount he wouldn't make another Transformers film until they let him adapt this story, but it seems the only thing Bay got from reading said article was a loud, brash comedy about jacked up simpletons trying to live the dream who severely botched a double murder. That's the only aspect of the story he was interested in. Like I say, this guy is not in touch with humanity at all.

What a waste!
Old 06-19-2017, 03:15 AM   #397
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
it's beyond morally repugnant.

[/i]

Repeat to yourself, its only a movie.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:19 AM   #398
Power Member

Aug 2009

How many opinions on film have you read? Repeat to yourself: Not everyone is going to share your viewpoint.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #399
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
How many opinions on film have you read? Repeat to yourself: Not everyone is going to share your viewpoint.
Calling a movie morally repugnant is a bit much in my opinion, it reminds me of the 80s when media criticism was huge double-standard.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:34 AM   #400
Power Member

Aug 2009

Well. put it this way. How do you think the friends and relatives of the people murdered and the guy tortured felt when they watched the film? Probably just laughed it off!. When you do a true crime biography like this you have a moral responsibility for the portrayal of the victims, Bay didn't give a **** about the victims in this case.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America