Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Running Scared $14.99 (4 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hidden Figures (DVD)
$4.99
Best of Warner Bros 100 Film Collection (DVD)
$63.99
Miracle on 34th Street (DVD)
$4.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
$16.99
Logan Lucky (DVD)
$9.99
The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature (DVD)
$11.49
Frasier: The Complete Sixth Season (DVD)
$9.99
Little House on the Prairie: The Complete Series (DVD)
$56.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (DVD)
$16.99
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (DVD)
$4.99
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (DVD)
$12.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (DVD)
$16.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
abudgell abudgell is offline
Active Member
 
abudgell's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada
194
United Kingdom "Scrooge" (1951) Alastair Sim - November 2015

This was originally posted by Douglas R on the HTF. According to Renown Pictures' newsletter, the BFI have funded a new 2K restoration of "Scrooge" starring Alastair Sim. It will debut on Blu-ray from Renown Pictures in November and will be their first Blu-ray release.

Quote:
Some exciting news we have been given some funding by The BFI for a complete 2k transfer from the original film negs of SCROOGE (1951 Sim and Cole etc) so Renown are trying our first Blu Ray in November of Scrooge in Black & White and a fully restored DVD of the film in both B&W and Colour.
It will be interesting to see what kind of an improvement will be made over the VCI Blu-ray release. Renown's DVDs seem to be region free, so fingers crossed fans from across the pond who love this film will be able to watch it without a region free player.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Pecker (08-15-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
Aclea Aclea is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Aclea's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abudgell View Post
This was originally posted by Douglas R on the HTF. According to Renown Pictures' newsletter, the BFI have funded a new 2K restoration of "Scrooge" starring Alastair Sim. It will debut on Blu-ray from Renown Pictures in November and will be their first Blu-ray release.



It will be interesting to see what kind of an improvement will be made over the VCI Blu-ray release. Renown's DVDs seem to be region free, so fingers crossed fans from across the pond who love this film will be able to watch it without a region free player.
Renown's DVDs generally have poor picture and sound (heavily DNRed standards conversions from NTSC in some cases, sometimes in the wrong aspect ratio), so this is probably the only time they've had a decent enough master to do a BD. But with such poor quality control I'd wait to see some reviews.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
abudgell abudgell is offline
Active Member
 
abudgell's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Renown's DVDs generally have poor picture and sound (heavily DNRed standards conversions from NTSC in some cases, sometimes in the wrong aspect ratio), so this is probably the only time they've had a decent enough master to do a BD. But with such poor quality control I'd wait to see some reviews.
I would hope with the BFI's grant this will be something special. But as you say, we'll have to wait and see.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Aclea Aclea is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Aclea's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abudgell View Post
I would hope with the BFI's grant this will be something special. But as you say, we'll have to wait and see.
If not, VCI's second release was excellent quality, filled with extras and is region-free.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
abudgell abudgell is offline
Active Member
 
abudgell's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
If not, VCI's second release was excellent quality, filled with extras and is region-free.
Yes, after years of suffering through muddy releases, it's better than I thought the film would ever look. I'm cautiously optimistic that the Renown release will be an even bigger improvement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
Gizz Gizz is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Gizz's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
England
7
1164
898
United Kingdom

About time to really enjoy this film so will be looking forward to picking this up.
Thor: We know each other. He's a friend from work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Mister Snoops Mister Snoops is offline
Expert Member
 
Mister Snoops's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
Wales, UK
601
47
1
Default

I liked the VCI release. I do however hope the BFI do I nice edition of this.
"One thought he was invincible… the other thought he could fly. They were both wrong" - Steven Seagal

Pre orders - The Burning SB, Driller Killer SB, The Hills have Eyes LE
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
abudgell abudgell is offline
Active Member
 
abudgell's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada
194
Default

Hopefully the restoration is better than the cover art...

Amazon UK has a date of November 2, 2015.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
Aclea Aclea is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Aclea's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abudgell View Post
Hopefully the restoration is better than the cover art...

Amazon UK has a date of November 2, 2015.

Not very encouraging, is it? It looks like something Old Ebenezer would have knocked off on the cheap before he received his nocturnal visitors.

Why not use the cover of the British pressbook?

"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
abudgell (07-31-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #10
McCrutchy McCrutchy is online now
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
2480
128
5
11
Default

I'm again puzzled as to why BFI chose not to restore and release this one themselves. I'm sure they can't or won't directly release everything they touch, but given the high status of this film, and the fact that it has suffered through many discreet releases from independent distributors, I should have thought it was time to bring this into the BFI lineup where it arguably belongs. Unless I'm wrong and Renown has some eccentric benfactor(s) I don't know about.

It's sad to see this presented as if it were some public domain film again.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
Douglas R Douglas R is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2008
London, UK
157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
I'm again puzzled as to why BFI chose not to restore and release this one themselves. I'm sure they can't or won't directly release everything they touch, but given the high status of this film, and the fact that it has suffered through many discreet releases from independent distributors, I should have thought it was time to bring this into the BFI lineup where it arguably belongs.
The film was made by Renown Pictures and Renown Pictures hold the rights. The BFI have no claim on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
Erik Morton Erik Morton is offline
Member
 
Sep 2013
32
Default

Oh wow. I don't normally post about things like cover art (heck, I don't normally post at all). But THAT?!?!?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:02 AM   #13
abudgell abudgell is offline
Active Member
 
abudgell's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Not very encouraging, is it? It looks like something Old Ebenezer would have knocked off on the cheap before he received his nocturnal visitors.

Why not use the cover of the British pressbook?

That would be a massive improvement! That being said, anything would be an improvement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 AM   #14
McCrutchy McCrutchy is online now
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
2480
128
5
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R View Post
The film was made by Renown Pictures and Renown Pictures hold the rights. The BFI have no claim on it.
I am aware that the film is a Renown property and that BFI have no "claim" on the film.

But it's surprising that Renown are releasing this themselves anyway, as I doubt many more of their titles--even the ones that are BD ready with HD masters available--are going to come from them on Blu-ray, especially in the UK market. Not if they're just making the start at the end of 2015. And I don't see the point of paying the licensing and authoring fees if you're only going to end up with a handful of titles at best.

But I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:23 AM   #15
abudgell abudgell is offline
Active Member
 
abudgell's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada
194
Default

It's now up for preorder on Amazon UK for an exorbitant £38.34. I hope it's a mistake.

I Tweeted Renown and asked them if it would be region free and they said they would get back to me closer to the release date.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:45 AM   #16
McCrutchy McCrutchy is online now
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
2480
128
5
11
Default

Added to the database:

"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #17
Opdef Opdef is offline
Active Member
 
Opdef's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Shropshire, England
659
Default

That cover is the funniest thing I have ever seen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
WiggyWig WiggyWig is offline
Senior Member
 
WiggyWig's Avatar
 
Aug 2015
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abudgell View Post
Hopefully the restoration is better than the cover art...

Amazon UK has a date of November 2, 2015.

Look at his face. Its almost as though hes showing his disapproval of the cover art

And why is it DVD + blu-ray. Surely it should be blu-ray + DVD
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #19
mattyl149 mattyl149 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
mattyl149's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Old Hill, West Midlands
5645
2125
133
1
Send a message via AIM to mattyl149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggyWig View Post
Look at his face. Its almost as though hes showing his disapproval of the cover art

And why is it DVD + blu-ray. Surely it should be blu-ray + DVD
I'm on holiday at the moment so no access to Photoshop, but I could easily make a cover that's far better than that one
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #20
Opdef Opdef is offline
Active Member
 
Opdef's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Shropshire, England
659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyl149 View Post
I'm on holiday at the moment so no access to Photoshop, but I could easily make a cover that's far better than that one
That wouldn't be difficult! Try and devise a cover that's worse than that one, there's a true challenge.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:08 PM.